SUPPORT FROM EMPLOYER

It is a free-for-all here. They pay for everything: fees, Schweser, travel (I am taking a 3-day seminiar out of town), hotel before the exam. And take as much time as you need (within reason). I check out every Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. to sit through the Schweser 16 week class and everyone simply wishes me good luck. I also take the afternoon off every day the week before the exam. None of that additional time off counts against any vacation. They are supportive, but they are the ones insisting I go through the program.

InsertNameHere Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not to be the one up guy, but I have four more > years under my service agreement. A crappy > economy will certainly make you do some not fun > things. InsertNameHere, I fold. You win this round. I may be taking the exam under on my own dime and in secret, but at least I can shop myself around. Stinks to hear about your indentured servitude. If I had to pick between them, I think I’d take my lot, though either route doesn’t sound as fun as “goes to eleven”, who clearly is having massages paid for by his employer. He is also probably the guy making money angels on the floor of his office on bonus day, whereas I am nodding staring at the floor when my superior explains that there won’t be a COLA adjustment to pay this year, because it was such a tough time for the firm. FML :(((

At least we have Analyst Forum to vent…and JOBS! Guess it’s not that bad, but complacency is the key to failure, so at least we know we want more and are willing to work for it!

goes to eleven…just curious…what kind of shop do you work for…HF, Bank, Corporate? From the perspecitve of a corporate grunt…there’s no love whatsover.

hilarious.

What’s hilarious? Our incessant complaining? Like I said, venting. But yeah, if that’s what you were referring to, non-stop whining is pretty hilarious. I’ll stop.

stack Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > goes to eleven…just curious…what kind of shop > do you work for…HF, Bank, Corporate? From the > perspecitve of a corporate grunt…there’s no love > whatsover. I work for a institutional small cap value shop. We have about $500 million in AUM and 8 employees. So we are a small, fun-to-work-for place. Jeans and t-shirts. I like to tell people: atmosphere is casual; performance and compliance are not. Not to rub it in, but my commute is about 10 minutes and during the summer I ride my bike to work. You will not find me complaining about my job.

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > stack Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > goes to eleven…just curious…what kind of > shop > > do you work for…HF, Bank, Corporate? From the > > perspecitve of a corporate grunt…there’s no > love > > whatsover. > > I work for a institutional small cap value shop. > We have about $500 million in AUM and 8 employees. > So we are a small, fun-to-work-for place. Jeans > and t-shirts. I like to tell people: atmosphere > is casual; performance and compliance are not. > Not to rub it in, but my commute is about 10 > minutes and during the summer I ride my bike to > work. You will not find me complaining about my > job. Your job = my goal me=jealous

InsertNameHere, yes. Less the complaining and more the style in which it is done. Please don’t stop, it’s infinitely more interesting than Quant.

InsertNameHere Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > At least we have Analyst Forum to > vent…and JOBS! Guess it’s not > that bad, but complacency is the key to failure, > so at least we know we want more and are willing > to work for it! I got no job, so smd

dbfinley Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > InsertNameHere Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > At least we have Analyst Forum to > > vent…and JOBS! Guess it’s > not > > that bad, but complacency is the key to > failure, > > so at least we know we want more and are > willing > > to work for it! > > > I got no job, so smd Whoa, I wasn’t saying that everyone here had one, just myself and those discussing their employer’s support or lack thereof. Sorry about no job. Hopefully that will change soon. As to your offer, no, thanks.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I sort of picture myself as a finance Clark > Kent/superman type. By day, I’m mild-mannered, > boring Clark Kent. But at night, I go home, crack > open my books, AND BECOME SUPERMAN. > +100

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Why would they give you a $5k budget? The test > doesn’t cost that much to take. ever heard of learning providers?

support from employer?? (groansss) they so much wanted to provide support to re-imburse for CFA’s fee only (if i pass that level) but had the condition that I won’t leave the company until I am done with all the levels…and if i leave the company before my charter I pay it all back to them… it was decided last yr but then i decided not to take the support. I didnt want to tie myself with this firm for long but ironically i m still here…

No support/time off here either, but the CFA isn’t particularly relevant to what I do (Relative Value FI Trading - pretty plain vanilla). When it came up during conversation, all I got was a “What would want to do that for? An MBA would be much more beneficial”. Sooo, I will now be taking CFA L2 in June, and attending a FT MBA program in August. Boom, stickin’ it to the man…

$1500 to pay for registration and the basic schweser package. no time off or anything else for that matter.

no time off and just enough to cover the actual exam costs (after tax), but only if I pass.

I am stuck in the muck of retail. No one in my office even knows what the CFA is. If I ever mention something about studying, I get study tips that start like this: "Oh boy, I know what you’re going through. Back when I took the Series 7, I had to study two hours per night for 4 weeks. . . . " At least there are probably 25-75 Charterholders that work for my firm (in a place far away from Montana where real finance happens) so I am getting half of the cost (of the registration) covered if I pass. Pretty lame really. That ammounts to like 200 bucks in August. I cant imagine getting study leave and 5 grand. Major props to anyone who gets that.

I get 4 days of extra vacation free as study days and reimbursed (only if I pass). Not bad. Hang in there everyone!

2 days of study leave, and up to $1500 in costs for the provider notes and other services, and up to the 2nd deadlne of the CFA test costs. my employer gets a discount also from most of the main providers so $1500 covers all. you must stay a year after the exam or you have to re imburse