Tackling Essay Questions

And one more bump for 2013 candidates. 2 months to go, everyone! Let’s do it!!

Thanks for bumping this Clark :slight_smile:

Just updating the broken link for command words -

http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/Documents/cfa_and_cipm_los_command_words.pdf

Thanks, Sooraj! I’ve updated the link in the opening post now. cheers for catching that! GOOD LUCK!

Bumping this thread because it’s awesome. Other good sources:

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91314226

http://www.cfainstitute.org/programs/cfaprogram/exams/Pages/index.aspx

Here is my general mental model for answering essay questions so far.

• Answer the question (especially the command words) directly. (From CFAI website: " No points are awarded for general knowledge that is not responsive to the question.")
  • My general format for answering questions is: “If X, then Y. Because X, therefore Y” or “If X, then Y. Because not Y, therefore not X.” May not include “If X, then Y” if the meaning is clear.
  • Be clear on your meaning. Don’t leave it up to the imagination of the grader. (Thanks s2000magician).
  • There is hardly any time to finish the AM session, so write answers concisely. Spend a few moments to think about how you should write the question before writing it, so you don’t waste time re-writing things.
  • Other than that, I’m not going to worry about anything except just answering the question correctly. If it’s direct, clear, concise, and correct… I’m not sure why I should be worried.

Is there anything to this that I should add or I should take into consideration?

How short can an asnwer be?

I wrote in my mock exam today “Risk > Policy statement requirement” “Not enough cash” as my reasons to refuse portfolio choices (from a list of candidates for a rich dude) and those answers are essentially correct based on the answer sheet. I want to ask if I can write like that (and save some time from bs-ing) in my real exam

Thanks!

Again, I thanked your insight in another thread, but wanted to do so again here partly as a safe way to track this thread: I am pretty sure I will consult it back and forth for a very long time.

Glad to read you passed too!

My pleasure.

(I guess.)

I’m glad someone is still getting out of this thread. Good luck, people.

Hi trimonious2,

I think this is the best ever thread I came across and I must say that even after 2 years it is alive and kicking because you have such a novelty of helping others. In fact after seeing your comment it reminds of myself only. Call it Karma, call it good samaritan I have always been like this in my student life , now as a professional I could not care if this came in my way of personal growth or staying ahead of the competition. I am selfish in my own way as I derive utmost pleasure when I see somebody benefitting in any way that has some contribution of mine. I expect none in return and I don’t care if I am labeled a Mother Teresa ( she is from my country and to be precise from my town). Anyway, coming back to the point- I am 39 Years old, about to be divorced, father of 1, failed in business venture and lost everything, now in between jobs passed my l2 this yr. after 2 attempts that went in vain. I wish and am determined to take on this beast and shall tame it come june 2015. i seek your guidance, I guess the above 2 are wonderful to start with but I would want your view/opinion on the subject matter of 2015 and the relativr change in topic weighatge.

Would be greatful if you are with me in this wonderful journey

Regards,

• Abhishek Bal (Passed CFA Level II)

Thanks a lot!!

I just passed the CFA Level II and this post was a great help!

Thanks a lot!!

I just passed the CFA Level II and this post was a great help!

Bumping for the new candidates.

Bumping for the new CFA L3 candidates.