Tax season 2014

I just use turbotax nig.

Harvard is not in Quebec, so #2 is irrelevant.

Hacksaw yourself.

Respect.

McGill gets you a 76th ranked MBA, right above Penn State Smeal and below Iowa Tippie.

McGill, in Montreal, is a top 25 university in the world. Safe to say it’s better than the hacksaw you went to.

76th in the world, according to FT. That said, it is a great school by Canadian standards. Wife went there. Hope my kid goes there. It’s a less rusty hacksaw in comparison to where I went (which was very rusty).

In Montreal though, McGill is #1. Hence why people spouting off about top universities really need to consider local realities.

Anyway, it’s a bit of a divergence from the topic…

^ LMAO. Comparing hacksaw programs is like sht talking in the special olympics!

Not all of it is wasted, though.

I should have added for middle class people, not BSDs. I know someone that has 4 kids and makes 40k a year. He pays 6k in taxes a year and benefits from all the programs mentioned above.

That being said, housing costs has to also be taken into account. Check home prices in Quebec vs BC or Alberta.

This.

Trolling?

I’m not sure how that could be considered trolling. Especially when it accurately reflects my situation. Perhaps you don’t understand how trolling works?

^ Because it’s completely irrational. Why would you celebrate the fact you gave away a free loan to your government for the last 12+ months? Makes no sense.

“Today, my government repaid me money I gave to them for free for no reason.”

Oh…you guys assume too much and don’t understand how salespeople are paid. I pay zero dollars to the Federal government on my salary. My bonuses get taxed at a higher rate and make up nearly all my gross income. It depends on what type of year I’ve had, but it’s nearly impossible for me not to be owed money come tax season.

In the future, you should ask why I get money back instead of accusing me of being irrational. As you can see, it makes perfect sense, you just didn’t have the knowledge to figure it out.

^ Yes, I failed to take into account the 1 in a million case.

Maybe it’s a U.S. thing, but I don’t think you understand how people in finance are comp’d. Bonuses make up a big portion of just about everyone’s income. You can’t withhold taxes on bonuses so there’s nothing we can do about it. My situation may be a bit more lopsided, but it’s not at all uncommon.

Try getting taxed 45-55% of your commission or bonus and see if you don’t rejoice when you get a nice check from uncle sam.

Bonuses don’t get taxed at a higher rate. Perhaps you’re witholding at a higher rate but income is income.

That’s completely false. Bonuses and commissions are taxed as “supplemental income.” That’s why you get two (and sometimes more) paystubs for the same pay period. I get one for my salary and another for my bonus. I have my federal withholding set at a 16 so no money is taken out of my federal taxes. Nothing I can do about the bonus check. They’re dinged at a predetermined rate.

This also comes into play when you’re trying to get a mortgage. Many banks won’t count “supplemental income” when figuring out how much to lend you. Or, you need at least x-amount of years in the job to show the bonus is reliable.

Edit: whatsyourgovt knows what’s up.

haha if only. I stopped looking at my gross amount in fear that i would turn into the unibomber.