The Markets

Eddie Deezen Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If Asia and Europe free fall again tonight, does > Helicopter Ben announce intra-meeting move before > the market opens to try and stabilize? He just > might have to or we could see a 500+ point drop on > Tuesday. The futures are more or less already pricing this in, and we have another night of carnage coming from Asia and perhaps even Europe

George Soros and Paul Tudor Jones

ancientmtk Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Could one benefit from such free-falling economy? sure short FXI

Discount Brokerage is also cutting jobs now. this has been a very exciting day so far.

lol, from the WSJ: Then there is the question of how the White House and Congress shape their rescue package. Mr. Freris of BNP Paribas said that if a U.S. recovery package targets the root of the problem – for instance, by postponing increases on adjustable-rate mortgages – financial markets could respond positively. But even that, he concedes, could be months away. As for Mr. Bush’s proposed stimulus plan, he says, “the markets will look at the $150 billion figure and smile. They trade that in a morning.”

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Discount Brokerage is also cutting jobs now. > > this has been a very exciting day so far. I hope you weren’t affected?

short it. short everything. what a crappy day. thank god the US markets are closed…so no paper losses today, but i’m excited to see my index etf’s jump in on the bloodbath tommorow morning!

I threw a little money at a developed mkts Pacific index fund this morning for trade date 1/23 and will go in big in global developed mkts once the bonus check clears. I figure I’ve got 30 years to ride this out and it beats having my money eroded by inflation, right??

halifax…im affected. they cut hours. i was hoping for a reduction anyways, gives me more time to read and look for jobs. but looking for a job now is like finding a hot girl at a Jenny CRaig convention. you can only hope.

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > halifax…im affected. they cut hours. i was > hoping for a reduction anyways, gives me more time > to read and look for jobs. but looking for a job > now is like finding a hot girl at a Jenny CRaig > convention. you can only hope. yeah. Sometimes when you lose your comfort zone it can be the best thing to spur action. Keep you head up

This has disaster written all over it: http://money.cnn.com/2008/01/18/news/economy/cure.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008012107 just the tip of an iceberg…strap on and be ready for a rough time…history repeats itself… 1978, 1988, 1998 and now 2008…lets remember this for 2018

buy 10 year treasuries yieilding 3.8% (not!) oops I see they’re yieling 3.64%… tomorrow I’m sure it’ll be 3.5% Doh.

Where are all of my Warren Buffet fans? How does the condition of the European or Asian stock markets on Monday affect the value of a company that I own? It doesn’t, and I am surprised that their are words like “disaster” “short everything” and various signs of panic are being tossed around a forum like this. I figured most charterholders and candidates would have a value bent to them. Y’all sound like a bunch of day traders. Find some great companies trading at discount prices, buy them reasonably and ignore the noise. I may be naive in the short run, but I think I will be okay in the long-run.

Learn to spell his name right then lecture us on how he ignores market noise.

“I know I just predicted some fed intervention on Friday, which didn’t come though. But I still think it is possible to see the fed do something.” And tell me, what can the Fed do? Did you listen to Bernanke last week? Anybody that listened to him carefully got the sense that he knows he can’t do anything to fix the present situation of financial system de-leveraging and the falling velocity of money. I think he hinted at the “D” word and I’m not talking about Depression. He can’t do squat here. Hell, they cut the FFR 100bps already and the S&P500 is down 13.3% since the initial 50bps cut. What can the Fed do? NOTHING. S&P Feb Futures down 4.5%…BOOM

goes to eleven Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Where are all of my Warren Buffet fans? How does > the condition of the European or Asian stock > markets on Monday affect the value of a company > that I own? It doesn’t, and I am surprised that > their are words like “disaster” “short everything” > and various signs of panic are being tossed around > a forum like this. > > I figured most charterholders and candidates would > have a value bent to them. Y’all sound like a > bunch of day traders. > > Find some great companies trading at discount > prices, buy them reasonably and ignore the noise. > > I may be naive in the short run, but I think I > will be okay in the long-run. I’m a graham guy myself and I agree with your statemetns here. there are a bunch of day traders on here for sure. the CFA or enrollment in it doesn’t say anything. most dont’ even know. the CFA doesn’t really test anything other then how much a person can study. the knowledge is usually superficial.

Whatever happened to our so-called disengaged Canadian Economy? Also if TD is cutting back Frank’s hours, and they are the one bank who was priding themselves for not buying any risky crap over the last couple years. What in the world is CIBC planning to do then?

Gremlin - who do you use as your futures quote site? I’m showing a different #

Problem with this market is not one or two issues, Here are a few of them…US economy is on the brinks of recession with US Govt’ in huge amount of debt. Consumers have no confidence in the economy and neither do they have money to spend in it regardless of any rate cuts. Avg. American is in huge debt due to real estate market and overspending for years now (living beyond their means). Credit Card debts, MTG, Car Loans, etc… will all be defaulted on more and more. As more people default on their debt more co.s will go down south towards negative territory; MKT goes down with. Yes more rate cuts sounds good but in an economy where people have the cash to spend…last time we had 13 consecutive rate cuts (After 9/11) people had more cash and less debt, hence were able to spend and stimulate the economy of US which is 70% based on consumer spending. This time there is no chance of that happening. Due to high inflation it is not a good idea to cut rates but Feds will do it anyway. Another issue contributing into the pot is the Asian MKTs, for many years now Asians have been borrowing at ridiculously low rates such as 0.25% and investing in other markets, now they are selling off and taking in their profits, pushing down the MKT which in turns help the downturn. With Currencies like yen appreciating Asians are taking their profits out of foreign countries so the appreciation of their currency does not eat away at their profit. One last note, traders and people in general get emotional and start selling off (like last week and half) and plunge the market beyond what the fundamental suggests. Not to forget US Gov’t has been too busy spending trillions of dollars on war and inflating the oil price (increasing the inflation) and ignoring their own economy. I might get slammed for this comment but “George Bush has been the worst thing that ever happened to USA, filled his own pocket with Middle Eastern Oil Money and f**ked US economy and now will retire in a tropical island and leave a huge mess for the next poor sole. But then again America is to blame for voting such an idiot into office. Many more reasons why the market is going south but those I mentioned are key ingredients….No one can tell what will happened but one thing is for sure it won’t be pretty.

cfa_gremlin Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “I know I just predicted some fed intervention on > Friday, which didn’t come though. But I still > think it is possible to see the fed do > something.” > > And tell me, what can the Fed do? Did you listen > to Bernanke last week? Anybody that listened to > him carefully got the sense that he knows he can’t > do anything to fix the present situation of > financial system de-leveraging and the falling > velocity of money. I think he hinted at the “D” > word and I’m not talking about Depression. He > can’t do squat here. > > Hell, they cut the FFR 100bps already and the > S&P500 is down 13.3% since the initial 50bps cut. > What can the Fed do? NOTHING. > > > S&P Feb Futures down 4.5%…BOOM I absolutely agree the fed can’t change the LT course of the market. All I am saying is that if they come out tommorow and cut 50 or 75 before next week’s meeting we may see a rally. I’m not advocating it, I have been one of those saying that they shouldn’t cut since August and I still believe that. Cheap money, caused this problem, and certaintly won’t fix it! From Bloomberg, which is what I use, it can be a bit slow but is reliable at least: VALUE CHANGE % CHANGE Dow 11,592.00 -514.00 -4.25 S&P 500 1,265.10 -60.20 -4.54 NASDAQ 1,773.50 -76.00 -4.11 Anyone care to throw out some numbers for the decline tommorow? Obviously we need to see what happens tonight, but I think we’re look at a 700+ drop on the industrials tommorow.