The most user-friendly calculator

stratus, thx for the explanation, but is there any specific example you can give about the “stack” and “pushing” and “popping”? I’m pretty confused about how to go about doing that.

Externality - I was aiming that description to the original poster, who said he/she was an engineer. Most engineers, or at least computer and electrical engineers, would have some exposure to theory of stacks, and how RPN is used. If you don’t know about LIFO and FIFO stacks (they are actually the exact same concept of LIFO/FIFO for inventory), then I don’t want to confuse you further about RPN. RPN is kind of weird at first, but as you get used to it it’s really quite efficient. Take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation That wikipedia entry has a good description of the benefits of RPN and a bunch of links.

I have mechanical engineering background and I do not know LIFO and FIFO stacks…So, I did not understand much from what you wrote in your previous postings… Anyway, thank you all for your inputs…

Do the schweser notes give step-by-step instructions for keying in data for BA II Plus or BA II Plus Professional? Is there any difference between them in terms of keying in data? Thanks!

In the notes I used, I find that HP12C takes a little bit fewer steps than BAII. So I picked up an HP12C

Do the Schweser notes give the instructions for entering data for HP 12c?

Yes, sometimes. But please go the easy path: take the TI BA II. I’m also an engineer, among other things. Engineers usually like the HP calculators - I have and love the HP 17B which a great financial calculator and I use the RPN (I may be the only one in my company doing that). But please, if you don’t know the HP, buy the TI. It is much easier because the TI displays the name of the variables and because it uses the AOS. You have to know that the TI is extreemly old: introducted in 1981… Good luck! Marc

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Got my first HP 12C in 1984 - at Citi as a young > kid. They said “here’s a calculator - we need ROE > of 20% and we’re geared 20:1, so go and build some > products and make us some money!” (ahh those were > the good ol’days!). Not much has changed then. From the look of that balance sheet, they are still about 20:1!