The Smoothie Thread

niceee

no peanut butter with it though?

Image result for disappointed girl gif

Krnyc does make a good point. Whenever we consume stuff in a form it doesn’t come in naturally, this is essentially a supplement. It allows us to purposefully or accidentally consume way more of certain things than we would otherwise if we were eating the whole food… So I agree with her generally if I want to eat something it’s best to consume it not blended up. To me, smoothie bowls are just as good as desert without much of the downside. But I wouldn’t want to get my nutrients from it solely

Which is called … cooking! Yeah, I mean people in mexico mixed up beans and rice and mashed up avocado. We do things, it tastes good. We eat more! I don’t know if the definition is or isn’t a supplement, but I think it can be healthy and advantageous. It certainly is better to drink a smoothie and eat kale in the smoothie through drinking it versus not having any greens at all, which is the plight of many Americans. So this at least has helped to remedy that.

Strawberry/banana with skim milk, vanilla yogurt and a hint of maple syrup. I’ll try some almond butter next time!

Perhaps it is better. But it could also lead you to over consuming some nutrients and stress vital organs. For example,drinking fruit juice is probably not much different than soda with some additional near term risk of over consumption of vitamins. Moderation is much harder when the form is transformed. Cooking just means that you have prepared the food, it does not mean you destroyed the form of food. At the simplest level, it means combining and heating.

And have you ever seen a natural avocado? It does not look like what you are imagining. It probably took hundreds of years before you could mash them up to produce any meaningful food.

Whoa there - fruit juice is concentrate.

It is unhealthy to take out the fiber.

Whoa there - fruit juice is concentrate.

It is unhealthy to take out the fiber.

I just ate a bunch of Cheese-its, but the chewed orange processed mash got stuck in my teeth… so I ate some skittles to get it out.

Just felt the need to confess :blush:

Cheese its are great. Cheddar and White Cheddar are my favorites.

^^^

Hahaha!.. *high 5*

Yes, juice is the most extreme. But it’s just to show the continuum. Smoothies also greatly modify the cover contained and impact the absorption of sugar and other stuff. Just not as bad as juice

Yeah, but if you add protein in a smoothie it is better for the body, isn’t it? The intake carb/protein/fat ratios improve.

Smoothies don’t have to contain sugar. Or can be low sugar. Most of mine are high sugar as I need the energy.

I don’t think we really know. Which is why krnyc rule is a good rule of thumb. But you are obviously different than a typical person, so I don’t know how to interpret it. I suspect insulin spikes are still important for you to avoid as well if you are optimizing for health. Peter Attia posts some cool data on different health markers under different circumstances . He also posted stuff when he was doing extreme exercise like you a few years ago. He wears a continuous blood glocometer though Most people don’t have access to that

Yeah, I avoid insulin spikes. I wasn’t completely aware of them until a couple years ago when I used to bring a 48oz container of Green Juice (seems healthy, but all sugar, no fiber - basically like the Naked Green Machine) to my neighbor’s apartment and she would really grill me on how unheathy it actually was. She is a nutritionist. I didn’t really feel the spikes, but she described the negative consequences to my body.

I had no idea how unhealthy it was and basically just looked at the nutrients. I wasn’t too concerned with sugar, but she often told me why it is negative and how to avoid the intake of juice without fiber (basically by eating whole foods). I don’t remember her whole spiel, but I remember not to drink juice alone. I don’t even drink orange juice alone anymore. The only juice I’ll drink is vegetable juice. For a lot of the things I do, I’m a bit fuzzy on the nutritional science (I just remember what is healthy/unhealthy), but in her words just eating “whole unprocessed foods” is the way to go. And since no one wants whole unprocessed foods, there is a premium price to pay for them. Actually, when I was in TN, I did get some Naked Juice for cycling (about an hour into a 47mi ride), but bought a 16oz container of Strawberry Banana and put 8oz of water in it in my 24oz bottle. Since I was really “on” in burning calories, I think it was ok. I think insulin spikes are more of an issue if you’re just sitting around and your body doesn’t need crack fuel (sugar). I’ve gotten to the point where I can’t drink Gatorade if I’m not cycling/working out. My body rejects it; I can’t drink it. Its too sugary - tastes disgusting. My taste buds are very sensitive right now.

The definition of unprocessed foods is important. I’d suspect under most definitions, a smoothie would be processed. And blending seems like it is definitely pretty high on the processing continuum (where as canning seems like it’d be lower). But it’s hard to get your calories in an unprocessed manner. That’d be a lot of food

Yeah, I definitely try to eat as many whole foods as possible. And then foods that contain only natural ingredients (like Lara Bars, RX bars, etc.) as well as smoothies. I haven’t had a lot of smoothies lately though, just mainly the bars. I’ve read its healthier to eat just one or a couple/few different foods at a time. Part of it is the breakdown of the different things through the enzymes in your stomach. If there are a lot of different foods, I don’t think the process is as good (maybe a loss of nutrients and fermentation if the enzymes cannot process the food). But think about it, how often do you think hunter gatherers would be able to eat 3+ different types of food? Probably not often. Also, with the taste buds and psychologically, its very clear when eating one food if you like it, how good it is, and if you should eat more or stop eating. When a bunch of foods are mixed together (I think you implied this earlier in how this causes overeating), it changes the way our mind accepts/rejects to eat/not to eat and quantity. So when I am at my apartment, sometimes I’ll just eat a lot of one thing. I’ll eat a whole bag of cherries or a whole bag of lettuce. A bag of carrots and Hope hummus. 10 oranges on a hot day. A bunch of apples and PB/AB. Something like that. I think the fewer the better, but when you’re on the run or during the daytime, it is just not possible in a lot of situations.

i have nothing to add here other than to say that I was in Denmark recently and the Danish for smoothie is ‘smoodie’

Smoothies have been big on my mind lately, actually. I’m trying to come off the Gatorade. I bought a bunch of stuff to try out tonight including coconut water, coconut water with pineapple, some 3.5oz fruit blend packets (basically smoothies), and some other blends I found in the baby food section that might work, as well as maybe 10 different kinds of juices that will hopefully last me a few days (like beet juice, carrot juice, and stuff like that too that I think I might be able to pour into my water bottles, not all of it but maybe 10% beet juice to a mix). I need the micronutrients from the juice and the Gatorade is just kind of good for the moment, but does not leave my body with any lasting effects in terms of antioxidants and micronutrients, just the macro crack sugar electrolytes. My dentist actually told me to watch out for the Gatorade as well. The Gerber 3.5oz mixes of fruits/veggies are decent. They are all organic, which is nice. I haven’t had them in a while. They are pureed significantly, which is great for me as my blender doesn’t puree that well and I can’t put things too fibrous in my Camelback as I would be cleaning it out every day and buying new reservoirs for it all the time at $30-40 each, or however much the 3L ones are. I put a bunch of Coconut water in my camelback today at whole foods and it tasted great on my burnout/cooldown ride, but the calorie punch wasn’t enough and after 3 repeats, I really crashed and had to have an RX bar at the top of the bridge. I’m thinking of putting Coconut water in the 3L, maybe 2.5L worth and then 0.5L juice or something like that. I could throw in a couple pureed Baby Food packets (some have carrots, black beans, avocado, peas, which I think might be great when riding). Maybe a real smoothie in one of my 24oz bottles, even possibly a honey/peanut butter/strawberry kind of thing, not sure. Dates are good too, but I didn’t buy any tonight. Not sure what to put in the other 24oz. I could go with 0 calorie propel for electrolytes. I have been avoiding this phase for a week (its just a pain to setup/buy/prepare). But, I need it now. This is going to take even more time for me to prep and juice is a lot more expensive than Gatorade. I’m switching foods and diets right now too. I’m being a bit more particular. Less butter, less cheese (guacamole on eggs instead of cheese). Closer to vegetarian. Picked up a dozen chicken eggs and 45 quail eggs today. I’m going to start mixing quail eggs into my scrambles as they pack quite a nutritional punch. I had some hard boiled quail eggs at some country redneck gas station in TX this spring and they were amazing. Straight from the farm. Very spicy/hot. I ate the whole jar immediately, I was starving.

I’m actually thinking of making a heavy calorie, extremely high sugar - dates/honey/peanut butter mix on one of the rides to put in my 24oz bottle, but its just a bit of a risk for me as when I taste test before riding, these things taste a bit much/too rich, but they are super clutch an hour or two into the ride. I just don’t want to be riding around with a brick that I cannot use or waste a ton of honey/PB/dates. I think that mix will be the magic one for me. I could even add some cocoa/cinnamon for antioxidants.

I’m quite used to the strawberry/PB/AB thing though, and strawberries taste soooo good to me when I’m working out. I picked up some frozen mangos today. Those would be great alone. Just a frozen mango smoothie in a 24oz. I’m excited to try some of these smoothie combos out - workouts are so much better when the nutrition aspect just clicks - this week is going to be sickkkkkk.

Image result for surfer girl gif

my wife used to make these awesome no bake energy bars – PB, honey, maybe some oats and salt (something like that). Put it on a baking sheet and throw it in the fridge for 12 hours, then cut into squares. They were awesome, not sure if they’d hold up on a ride.