The Soccer Thread

@btcapital…the solution is simple : Wenger HAS TO GO ! Havent you guys had enough of his stuff? “Arsene Knows” they say… well he only “knows” how to blow away leads and titles. he’s done a fairly good job with what he has been given over the years but its time for a new manager. Also, i personally don’t think the Sneijder deal is going to happen. seems kinda a lot of $$ to pay up when u’ve already spent over 50 mn pounds

OTOH, if MU is getting Sneijder, it could mean Nasri won’t leave… I disagree with your criticism of Wenger, yeah he’s cheap, and I don’t think he’s that great at picking up young talented prospects (despite his reputation, he’s missed out on tons), but who’s going to be better than him?

aaaaah the old argument against firing wenger " who will you get thats better" …at this point we just need some new management blood.

when Arsenal hired Wenger, he came from the J-league and was the joke of the footballing world but he turnd out quite okay. whats to say it cant happen again?

That’s because Arsenal as it exists today IS Arsene Wenger. The days before him are practically the stone age for Arsenal fans. 75% of Arsenal fans would ditch Arsenal for ManCity if they went back to those times. That and Arsenal just doesn’t have the talent to compete for the top levels, and when AW goes, the playing style will go with him…

SAF and Arsene out!!! fresh styles are needed desperately

Arsenal has no “economic moat” the way Liverpool, ManU, Barca, Real, Milan, Bayern etc do. They are not historically a big club and fans will go somewhere else when AE leaves.

It’s not Wenger’s fault. It’s the board’s fault entirely. For years now we’ve been under the illusion that there’s been money available. The top 4 has been good enough to fill the board’s pockets and now its over the Kroenke. Wenger is not a dumbass. He might be stubborn and tactically naive, but he knows there are better players the Eboue and Squillaci out there. he only bought Squillaci last minute last year becuase Subotic backed out last moment… The guy’s had some tough breaks… Birmingham with Eduardo’s leg break (and the penalty that never was by Clichy), the poor officiating in the Sunderland game, the mix up in the CC final… He is a genius. Other managers KNOW he doesn’t have the money. It’ll all come out once he retires.

They should get rid of Cesc and Van Persie. They are injured way too much to be focal players of EPL clubs. The pace and the style is much to rigid for them. I’m not sold on the prospects of Gervinho but we’ll see.

They should sell Cesc if they can get a good price for him. See if they can pick up Mascherano or David Villa in the deal.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > They should sell Cesc if they can get a good price > for him. See if they can pick up Mascherano or > David Villa in the deal. wow…i reeeeaalllly doubt if Barca will want to swap Villa for Cesc ! also, on your point about Arsenal being in the stone age and “Boring” are true…i agree. Arsenal were known for their "1-0"s wid Tony Adams and Martin Keown being the stars. BUT where is Wenger taking the club right now? 6 years without a trophy? it surely cant hurt to try someone new. and i doubt that any Arsenal fan would support Citeh over Arsenal if AW leaves. let alone 75% !

I think they might, David Villa doesn’t really fit into the formation Barca is playing (with two wingers flanking Messi), it’s a formation without a pure striker. AW is a value investor. He is not a growth guy like Florentino Perez, that’s his style to pick up young talented players for cheap and turn them into world class players, also the philosophy Valencia is following now actually. However you also don’t know his transfer budget, he doesn’t have blank checks the way Chelsea/Mancity/Madrid do…I’m sure he would love to stack his team with Messi, Villa, Pedro etc.

I’m a massive Gooner as well, but I still support Wenger whole-heartedly. He has his faults (agree above, stubborn and can be tactically naive), but what he has done with getting the club through the past six years is frankly astonishing. The Emirates was a huge undertaking, and we’re now in a fantastic economic position, despite our poor form (and it could have been a lot worse given we couldn’t spend). The lack of trophy’s has obviously been disapointing, but if we now actually have cash to spend, I think we need to give Wenger the chance to have a go at it. If he doesn’t take the chance, well maybe we should look around then, but I’m still willing to follow him.,

A significant bit of the criticism aimed at Wenger is on a false premise - that Arsenal would do better if they switched to a more “direct” style, and played “ugly” football. However, I wonder, on what grounds exactly? Arsenal’s problems aren’t stylistic at all, they all about talent. I do think though that AW has missed out on a ton of young players. Although he is looking to pick up Juan Mata at 15 M, why not also try to get Pedro Leon or Sergio Canales who warm the bench at RM? Giuseppe Rossi is also looking for a move…Alvaro Negredo can’t be real expensive either. Bundesliga has a ton of young talent floating around too…

"A significant bit of the criticism aimed at Wenger is on a false premise - that Arsenal would do better if they switched to a more “direct” style, and played “ugly” football. However, I wonder, on what grounds exactly? " You wouldnt know till you’ve tried ! Arsenal have a talented bunch of youngsters. even if you appoint ‘New Guy’ its unlikely that he’s gonna end up with 10’th place given the obvious quality of the team. I udnerstand that missing out on the CL would be a blow financiall y(and that AW has ensured at least that for all these years). All am saying its worth taking the shot. But if you Gooners are okay with Wenger, thats fine ! 1 competitor less for United :)…the way i see it.

What talented youngsters? :smiley: At least apart from Jack Wilshere. Compared to the quality of talent coming out of La Masia or Madrid’s Cantera or any of the German clubs these days, talented youngsters is more of a truism than anything else.

Well, i meant more from an EPL perspective. But yeah Barca have an amazing youth system ! Also,all the young Lat Am talent prefers going to Spain rather than England because of language issues i guess. BTW SAF came out n said that Nasri isnt coming to OT but going somewhere else.mind games or is he really going to Citeh? might sound biased coming from me but he would do his career a world of good coming to OT rather than Citeh. City have ruined so many careers i cant think why anyone would go there. Sure they pay more $$$ but when its a choice between 100k/week with regular first team football and medals vs. 150k/week being one of about fifty players, i wud take the first option.

reddevil_l3 Wrote: > btw since we are on United, did anyone notice that > one reading in Schweser Level 3 on taxes where ALL > the examples had names of current/past united > players? i had noticed Rooney, Neville, Keane, > Pallister, Owen and Giggs ! made that reading just > a BIT more interesting ! Anyone else see/remember this? L3ers here?

Thought I should bump this thread.

Looks like Tito Vilanova is stepping down.

I nominate Michael Laudrup to be the next Barca manager. But I don’t think they asked me…

Barca sucks…good luck trying to get Neymar and Messi to gel…RM ftw