this is the most neutered board in years

I have to agree with stevenevans. Before I get into it, let me say that I have been on this forum for the past 3 years. Although I don’t actively participate all the time, and have not in a while, I do appreciate all the help these discussions have provided me in the past. So a collective thank you to all. That said, I think everyone is being overly paranoid. Recreating the exam and discussing topics that were tested are two very different things. Before the exam everyone felt free to talk about anything and everything in the curriculum. Now it seems it is ALL OFF LIMITS. I doubt the CFAI’s intended purpose is to completely halt discussion on their curriculum after the test. Seems a little fascist to me. We’ve all been studying the same material for the past 6 to 9 months and its natural to still have questions on topics whether they were tested or not. Just don’t be an idiot about it and don’t do anything to put the integrity of the test at risk. I think we can discuss what we want to discuss as long as it’s done in an ethical manner.

nerds.

ChrisV Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I have to agree with stevenevans. Before I get > into it, let me say that I have been on this forum > for the past 3 years. Although I don’t actively > participate all the time, and have not in a while, > I do appreciate all the help these discussions > have provided me in the past. So a collective > thank you to all. > > That said, I think everyone is being overly > paranoid. Recreating the exam and discussing > topics that were tested are two very different > things. Before the exam everyone felt free to talk > about anything and everything in the curriculum. > Now it seems it is ALL OFF LIMITS. > > I doubt the CFAI’s intended purpose is to > completely halt discussion on their curriculum > after the test. Seems a little fascist to me. > We’ve all been studying the same material for the > past 6 to 9 months and its natural to still have > questions on topics whether they were tested or > not. Just don’t be an idiot about it and don’t do > anything to put the integrity of the test at risk. > I think we can discuss what we want to discuss as > long as it’s done in an ethical manner. In that case…why don’t you kick off the discussion. Haha. I didn’t think so.

Quote: I think we can discuss what we want to discuss as long as it’s done in an ethical manner. End Quote you do not know what you want to discuss “ethically” is right per the CFAI, and whether you may get banned / banished bcos of that “ethical” discussion. Our interpretation of ethical vs. how it is regarded by the institute does differ on many points, subtle though it may seem. So – you do so at profound risk to yourself, esp. when you are so close…

Yeah, right nerds. It is so strange that those that did not post anything at all to the run up to the exams are the ones putting us to task about not discussing questions. If my memory serves me right, CFAI says it is unethical to say “Ah! GIPS was tested this year!”. Okay. So if I go ahead and then ask what should be the correct answer for the question asking about the real estate valuation in the AM question, can I hold my head up and say “No, I did not explicitly say that GIPS was tested but I only asked about real estate valuation and therefore not did not violate”? Come on guys! Is there anybody out there who is willing to discuss any topic that was not tested in the exam at this moment? Anyone?

There is a difference between getting clarification on a process or formula in the curriculum that may or may not have been on the test, and making a sad attempt at self gratification through asking a public forum what their favorite number is or some inane comment on a fictitious sports fact. The later is not an attempt to understand the material at all, it is only self serving and an attempt to bend ethical practices - which in itself is against the standards. If you remember correctly it is the intent of the action that makes it a violation. If you truly were interested in learning the material you would post a new, fictitious question on the forum and not deliberate on actual items that were tested. Yes, this may indicate that the subject was tested, however it is only an indication to an outside party who could only make assumptions on whether it was tested or not. Further, to that extent, the outside party wouln’t have any idea of the format of the actual question or it’s parameters. In closing, If you have questions on the material please post a genuine question regarding that subject, tested or not. Otherwise, find another way to indulge your self-interests elsewhere. Appologies to all who have been professional and use this forum with respect.

I’m not putting anyone to task. I’m making a point. The paranoia that surrounds the exam and any kind of discussion about it is absurd.

FinNinja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There is a difference between getting > clarification on a process or formula in the > curriculum that may or may not have been on the > test, and making a sad attempt at self > gratification through asking a public forum what > their favorite number is or some inane comment on > a fictitious sports fact. The later is not an > attempt to understand the material at all, it is > only self serving and an attempt to bend ethical > practices - which in itself is against the > standards. If you remember correctly it is the > intent of the action that makes it a violation. If > you truly were interested in learning the material > you would post a new, fictitious question on the > forum and not deliberate on actual items that were > tested. Yes, this may indicate that the subject > was tested, however it is only an indication to an > outside party who could only make assumptions on > whether it was tested or not. Further, to that > extent, the outside party wouln’t have any idea of > the format of the actual question or it’s > parameters. > > In closing, If you have questions on the material > please post a genuine question regarding that > subject, tested or not. Otherwise, find another > way to indulge your self-interests elsewhere. > > Appologies to all who have been professional and > use this forum with respect. there are two instances of extreme embarrassment on this board 1. begging of CFAI past exams that can be found by doing a simple google search 2. the lack of ethics by the very set of people who signed a confidentiality agreement less than 72 hours previously but this does not define the board on a whole, it is made up of helpful and knowledgable professionals

wasn’t there an example scenario in Reading 2 where a member violated the CFAI Standard by disclosing the topics that were tested and the once that were not? Obviously, the people on this thread revealing and exhorting others to reveal didn’t read it!!!

pimpineasy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > there are two instances of extreme embarrassment > on this board > > 1. begging of CFAI past exams that can be found by > doing a simple google search > 2. the lack of ethics by the very set of people > who signed a confidentiality agreement less than > 72 hours previously > > > but this does not define the board on a whole, it > is made up of helpful and knowledgable > professionals +1 Can’t beleive the number of people making a number 2 on this forum this year!

If you’re as vague and ambiguous as the test you should be ok

It’s a little frustrating that the CFAI is so restrictive with regards to discussing the exam. There are some questions I have about things I encountered on the test which I honestly would like to discuss with others so I can understand them better. This is particularly true of some of the ambiguous questions on which I could justify more than one response. I understood the material and chose an answer but could just as easily have chosen another answer and I would like to get other people’s input on this and have a debate/discussion. Frankly I don’t see the value of restricting discussion about the test after all the tests have been administered. If anything a discussion about various questions and why the answers are what they are would further people’s understanding. Isn’t that the goal of this whole excercise anyway?

me.tega Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, right nerds. > > It is so strange that those that did not post > anything at all to the run up to the exams are the > ones putting us to task about not discussing > questions. If my memory serves me right, CFAI says > it is unethical to say “Ah! GIPS was tested this > year!”. > > Okay. So if I go ahead and then ask what should be > the correct answer for the question asking about > the real estate valuation in the AM question, can > I hold my head up and say “No, I did not > explicitly say that GIPS was tested but I only > asked about real estate valuation and therefore > not did not violate”? > > Come on guys! Is there anybody out there who is > willing to discuss any topic that was not tested > in the exam at this moment? Anyone?

theleftcoast Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s a little frustrating that the CFAI is so > restrictive with regards to discussing the exam. > There are some questions I have about things I > encountered on the test which I honestly would > like to discuss with others so I can understand > them better. This is particularly true of some of > the ambiguous questions on which I could justify > more than one response. I understood the material > and chose an answer but could just as easily have > chosen another answer and I would like to get > other people’s input on this and have a > debate/discussion. Frankly I don’t see the value > of restricting discussion about the test after all > the tests have been administered. If anything a > discussion about various questions and why the > answers are what they are would further people’s > understanding. Isn’t that the goal of this whole > excercise anyway? I’m of this opinion as well. I don’t understand the rule, but after spending countless hours prepping for this test I’m not about to start bending it so that I can find out if my answers were correct. Like it or not CFAI does not want us discussing the material (which is a shame), but I’ll respect what I signed.

Dear all, What beats me is that —transparency, full disclosure and objectivity—the highest values in the investment profession that the CFA Institute so vocally promotes, does not find a relevant place in its exam testing policies. I have now read the pledge (once again) and reviewed the CFA Institute literature, and they categorically say that we can’t discuss or disclose exam content after the exam is administered. For your benefit, I am copying the candidate pledge and guidance by CFA Institute below: __________________ Candidate Pledge “Prior to this exam, I have not given or received information regarding the content of this exam. During this exam, I will not give or receive any information regarding the content of this exam. After this exam, I will not disclose any portion of this exam and I will not remove any exam materials from the testing room in original or copied form. I understand that all exam materials, including my answers, are the property of CFA Institute and will not be returned to me in any form. I will follow all rules of the CFA Program as stated on the CFA Institute website and the back cover of the exam book. My violation of any rules of the CFA Program will result in CFA Institute voiding my exam results and may lead to suspension or termination of my candidacy in the CFA Program.” _________________________ CFA Institute Guidance on Disclosure of Exam Content Following the exam, two Level II candidates, Anurag Jain and Nana Kweku Nduom, used Analyst Forum, an internet chat forum, to contribute, solicit, and compile June 2009 Level II CFA exam content. The information was compiled into a spreadsheet and further offered to other candidates via the internet forum and other internet sources. The Professional Conduct Program investigated these matters and found that the candidates engaged in the conduct, thereby compromising the integrity and security of the CFA exam in violation of the CFA Exam Rules, Candidate Pledge, and the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct, specifically Standard VII(A) – Conduct as Members and Candidates in the CFA Program. Both Mr. Jain and Mr. Nduom requested a Hearing Panel. After consideration of the evidence in each respective case, the Hearing Panels determined the candidates’ conduct of compiling, soliciting, and distributing CFA exam content violated the CFA Exam Rules and the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct and imposed the sanction of Five-Year Suspension from Participation in the CFA Program and Voiding of Exam Results on each respective candidate.  Following the exam, a Level II candidate, Randall Lucas, posted on his blog regarding his experience at the CFA exam and mentioned topics covered and material not covered on the exam. At the time of the blog posting, the CFA exam was still being administered around the world. The Professional Conduct Program investigated the matter and found that the candidate engaged in the conduct and thereby violated the CFA Exam Rules and the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct. The candidate accepted the sanction of Public Censure and Voiding of Exam Results. ---------------------------- A few not so profound thoughts I feel this goes completely against the grain of CFA Institute’s objectives – but you and I will have to respect it. We have no choice, we signed up to this pledge. Thanks to all the AF members who reminded me about this pledge. That said, if we want to raise a voice against this policy, we should not show dissent by violation but we should write to the CFA Institute about our differing viewpoint. I will at some point. Openness and objectivity are the mantras by which we need to conduct ourselves in this profession. I feel the CFA Institute needs to adopt these principles in regard to exam content. How inconsistent is it otherwise. Simply because the MPS or exam papers have never been disclosed before, is no justification to not to in the future. The world is changing and so should CFA Institute’s policies. Candidates should also be able to avoid mistakes they have made before – by knowing how they fared on each individual question. Its bizarre to expect candidates to figure out the answers themselves. Its like the bounded rationality curse we learnt about in behavioral finance – incompetence is thrice cursed – you not only can’t figure out the correct answer but also can’t know how much you don’t know the answer by, plus you’re bound to make the mistake again. So for re-takers, unless there is shift in knowledge, you’ll not pass. But to do so, you can’t rely on the exam content, you’ll have to look to other areas where you can better you’re skills. How tragic. I would however not disapprove of the actions CFA Institute has taken in the past in regard to protection of exam content, but the actions have been made worse by having policies that go against very human nature – which wants figure out how one fared after a tough and grueling exam – in which lot is invested by the candidates. I’m sure you too want to find out how you fared, but are resisting temptation because of the pledge. This is what makes CFA Institute’s candidates so special – that we care to live by rules we make for ourselves or we sign up to. That is fair play and we certainly make this profession a worthy one. I would however urge you all to think about whether you consider this exam policy as inconsistent. If many of us have consensus, we should be able to fuel a worthy debate on why the policy should change.

Personally, I am indifferent about the policy. Truth of the matter is discussing the content of the exam will have zero value add in the long run. It will not change the outcome of the results. The difficulty and wording of the exams are exactly like the ones found in the EOC questions. If CFAI says they want to protect the integrity of the exam by reducing the stress on exam takers, then let it be. I am not interested in changing the policy because, hopefully, this is my last CFA exam ever. What do I know? If CFAI says I am a goat right, I will agree. So I’m probably not objective at the moment.

me.tega Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Personally, I am indifferent about the policy. > Truth of the matter is discussing the content of > the exam will have zero value add in the long run. > It will not change the outcome of the results. The > difficulty and wording of the exams are exactly > like the ones found in the EOC questions. > > If CFAI says they want to protect the integrity of > the exam by reducing the stress on exam takers, > then let it be. I am not interested in changing > the policy because, hopefully, this is my last CFA > exam ever. What do I know? If CFAI says I am a > goat right, I will agree. So I’m probably not > objective at the moment. Man, you’re such a goat.

Goat meat is delicious and a delicacy in many parts of the world!!! :slight_smile:

Do you think a neutered goat is delicious??

esp. goat’s b…s.