this time last year, we were L1 candidates

hey UAECFA, Are you based in Dubai or Abudhabi? I lived in Dubai till I was 17 years old. How is the market in Dubai? My assumption is ppl there are still investing billions into the financial center, but no inv. banks, mutual funds, institutional managers, etc have begun generating anything voluminous yet…

Hey bm_chicago, you nailed it. Gov’t is invested alot (a build it and they will come attitude). Although, some are setting up shop here. They just issued a DP World IPO on the DIFX to create liquidity in the market here. We’ll see what happens.

that was by shuaa capital, right? other than DIC and Shuaa, who else is active? i got friends at gulf capital and emirates bank intl (both practicing inv. banking there) but no one’s heard of them outside of dubai itself… those firms arent even well-known in the middle east… another friend of mine works for credit suisse there but is in private client asset management… that sounds more like private wealth management to me…at best.!! why would one consider moving from america to dubai?

couple friends of mine told me that L1 is more conceptual than quant… do you guys agree with their opinion?

more formulas in L1 but yes, the exam is more conceptual.certainly agree with that.

oh thanks bm_chicago. thats the approach i am taking, i have read the curriculum twice and reviewed the concepts for the past two weeks. and yes i know there’ll be some formulas involved. Hope they keep it the same way, as i feel very very well prepared if it is more conceptual then quant

you gotta know the DUPONT! the rest will come to you good luck

thanks bro

man, 3 days before the L2 I scored about 54% on schweser book 6 practice exam 3. I was so frustrated I didnt even want to take the exam. then my real exam scores came, I scored 70%+ on all subjects except for portfolio mng. it’s probably because I took the real exam more serious and tried to perform at 100%. or just got lucky.