Thoughts on CFA Mock 1

jmuc85, did you take the cfai mock exam yesterday? if so, how did you score? your sample scores are right in line with mine, 61 and 66. i’m curious to hear how you did on the mock exam.

I also thought the CFA Mock1 was tough. I thought it was pretty close in difficulty to the Schweser. I was suprised because I heard the Schweser was supposed to be quite a bit more difficult than actual exam and per the CFA website the Mock is supposed to be representative of the actual exam. I thought the CFAI sample was very easy by comparison. Schweser 1am 69 1pm 73 2am 73 2pm 74 CFAI Sample 75 (took after Schweser 1am about 4 weeks ago) Mock 76 I guess at this point I should be feeling confident, but I don’t. There were a few questions on CFAI Mock that I had absolutely no clue on - had never seen the material before (that was a first). My colleagues have told me I need to be getting 75s on the practice exams to pass becuase to stress etc on exam day will bring your score down I think BrokenSocialScene has it right and some good advice - on game day be rested, clear mind, low stress, etc.

jdane416 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > "don’t read other choices and spend time to > confirm your choice " > > I have to disagree STRONGLY with that statement. > Many times questions will ask which is the BEST > answer to a given situation. Therefore, while > multiple answer choices will be “right”, there is > only one that is the BEST option for the > situation. If you don’t take the time to read all > the answer choices you will no doubt lose points > come test day. it is all from my experience, as I have no time left after 120 book6 questions if i have 30 hours for the exam, i will agree with you but time is limited if the question require to choose the best answer and if i am quite sure that the first choice i read is the answer, it is no point to waste time to confirm my choice. I can use the time to read other choices and confirm that they are wrong to do another mc question

aarguello–i just finished…a little disappointed i scored a 62%. i passed quant, econ, derivatives, and ai, while scoring a 67% in ethics, fixed income, and portfolio management…so close in those 3 to passing. FSA absolutely killed me, and corporate finance wasn’t so great either. FSA is such a long section, that by the end of it, I felt like I wasn’t paying as much attention because I just wanted to move on to another section. I was really only disappointed in FSA, Corporate, and Equity Securities (surprised about equity). Overall, I just needed to be a bit more focused. The length got to me for sure.

Ouch!..that was a wake up call! Mock 1, just scored 56%… the worst part of that was only actually answering 109 questions in the 3 hours. Lost a little time in answering the door and a distracting telephone, maybe a couple of minutes, not too long… but quite shocked,some of the questions towards the end I knew how to work, but had to best guess as I knew they would take 2-3 minutes to calculate, in the hope the next question would only be 30 seconds. In the exam with 1 minute to go, i would have made sure I answered every single one,not so easy on the computer screen. Worth doing, as I needed to assess 120 questions, somehow the 3 hours flew past!?

Just got a 64% on the mock. It was much tougher than I thought - mostly due to the time constraint. I too saw some things I hadn’t read about: Hotelling principle, Okun gap to name a couple. My score included a 41 on Economics which was surprising considering I just read the Schweser Econ book this past week. A lot more FI stuff came intuitively to me, fortunately, because I was behind on time by 15 minutes when I had an hour left to go, so I really had to rush. Wake up call to say the least. Thank god there’s two weeks left. If you’re reading this, and haven’t taken Mock 1 yet, DO IT TONIGHT. It will save your ass come test day.

are schweser book seven exams harder than book six exams? with limited time, i i dont think i have time to do every exam, and am contemplating doing cfa mocks and samples and schweser book 6 only, omitting book 7 since i heard it is even harder than book 6 (and book 6 is supposedly harder than actual exam questions). any experience with this? thankss.

hotelling principle, okun gap… wtf??? surely the CFA institute cant just chuck stuff in the test that dont appear in the LOSs? eg LOS23g requires a differentiaton b/w renewable and non-renewable resources. you can definately answer that without mentioning hotelling

djjk1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hotelling principle, okun gap… wtf??? surely > the CFA institute cant just chuck stuff in the > test that dont appear in the LOSs? > > eg LOS23g requires a differentiaton b/w renewable > and non-renewable resources. > > you can definately answer that without mentioning > hotelling Exactly my thoughts on the same 2 questions…where I remarked about being tested in trivia from one line of the textbook rather than the understanding of a LOS. Yet these questions carry the same weight as others?..that did disappoint me ever so slightly!

djjk1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > hotelling principle, okun gap… wtf??? surely > the CFA institute cant just chuck stuff in the > test that dont appear in the LOSs? > > > > > > haha I wrote those exact two concepts down as well when I saw them. I remembered seeing those names, but also remember thinking that they are not important enough to warrant an entire question about them…oops

I remember the hotelling principle but I didn’t remember the okun gap but I got that question right. Scored a 68%. I thought it was a lot harder than the sample CFAI test (60 question one). I was also very surprised that I scored a 68, I thought I did a lot worse. Plus I would’ve done better but stupid test doesn’t let u go back and change answers. I realized I marked the wrong answer a couple of times after clicking next. Question about that Direct and Sales type lease question. How do you know it’s a Sales Type lease? I know it’s a sales type if you physically manufacture the equipment but I has having a hard time figuring out if that was the case. What are your thoughts on that question?

if there is a diffrence between the present value of the payment and the asset market value, it is a sales type lease, the lessor is making profit out of it. if the present value equal the asset value, it is a financing lease and the lessor is only making the interest out of it.

Okay it also says (in the explanation) that the lease covers more than 75% of the useful life of the asset. Is that relevant to determining whether it’s a sales or direct? Thanks ssdnola

Also why must have they manufactured it if the 2 dollar amounts differ?

the lessor owns the equipment or whatever from what I remember, ex. skiing resort renting out snowboard and the lease time is 75% of the asset’s life (so that it’s capital lease) then it would be sales type

okay but let say it was for less than 75% of the life of the asset but the PV of the payments differed? Do both requirements have to be met inorder for it to be classified as a Sales type lease?

btw is anyone watching the Jets take apart the Titans?

The best way of dealing with the trivial pursuit material is to ID it during your studies, and then review it right before you take a mock. This has worked well for me.

the market value is the cost of manufacturing the assets and the present value of the payments is the sale price.

Felt the same way thought i’d get a 50 when i pressed submit and got 73% with my worst marks being in econ and fixed income which is understandable considering I haven’t read the book or studied those areas yet