Thoughts on Samsung?

there is no secular industry decline with Samsung. Decline in Samsung means recession in Korea. Decline in cell phones or TVs? pfff with over USD300 billion in sales, Samsung has more than enough cushion - simply because they make and produce to much stuff. Refrigerators, stoves, washer and dryer, defense (Korea is increasing their defense spending), boring but very stable insurance, asset mgmt, and real estate businesses.

They even own and operate major hospitals and sports stadiums…can’t even list all. They even had a car division which basically copied and pasted Honda economy cars…Must be some major corruption for a single company to basically own an entire country. Koreans call it Samsung Republic instead of Republic of Korea aka South Korea.

I was referring to the electronics division, not samsung group as whole because they each have publicly traded tickers.

ahh okay. There is no ticker for Samsung Group - the whole package? Although all these subsidiaries own each other in a roundabout loophole that results in the family members basically having control of everything lol. It’s almost like their heads stuck up in their arse in their dark echo chamber where they don’t see anything and hear only their voices bouncing back. Lack of innovation really…Samsung still to this date uses android chips and has no plans for processor chips that are arm based, which other major semiconductor and tech firms are racing to develop…well Samsung makes only limited x86 based now but mostly resort to other companies for that…where are all the brains going in this company?? This is only one of 100s of problems/complaints I have problems with Samsung but i am no big shot so all i can do for now is i am out. Butttttt since samsung IS Korea, the future of Samsung ain’t that bad because there are 50 million people consuming, working, and spending in Korea that in return go to Samsung’s pockets.

Don’t see it, but it’s more of a global play than you realize due to its exposure to semi (one of the largest semi foundries). We got in due to improving industry picture in the back half of 2016 and it played out beautifully.

You have any SWKS during that time? Picked some up in August, exited position 4 weeks ago.

Don’t cover it but generally semi and semi equipment guys will continue to do well, supply still tight and expecting to remain tight for the rest of the year. Exposed to many positive secular trends at least for the next couple years. Only thing to be aware of is valuation imho.

Semi-moral human control beats amoral corporate control (for stakeholders, not shareholders). The thing about KR is that biological humans still make decisions, not rules-based corporate “legal entities”.