Time to let go of CFA- Good bye friends

There is a lot of momentum to be built up between levels 1 and 2 due to the overlap of valuation and financial statement analysis.

But there is way less in common with level 3. The level 3 curriculum is much different and forgetting what you learned in levels 1-2 won’t matter. I have no idea what the free cash flow formula is. I can’t even remember the inventory turnover ratio off the top of my head. M

I am from India and I can understand your suituation. I guess you are from non commerce background, so I am making this statement.

First remember you will never get any proper core job immediately. You need to try through another way. Join a multinational company in their corporate finance/ treasury/ audit. Once you prove your mettel, you can always ask the company to move you to another department.

Most of the people in India want to join service sector, give a try in manufacturing sector also. Trust me, you will learn a lot. Try any company that gives experience in accounting knowledge, grom there you can easily move to any financial institution. If possible move to southern states, there are lots of oppurtunities.

laters

Same line of thought…as a stepping stone you can look at places like Bloomberg, FactSet, CapIQ etc. I know a lot of people who have used it as a bridge. You will get transferable skills and I know the work experience will qualify you for the charter.

Anyway good luck to you. Followed a lot of your posts before. You definitely seem to have dedicated a lot of time, emotion and mental bandwidth to the program so far and if you deploy those resources elsewhere you may get a good break.

Is four years of work experience in a related investment field not “professional?” Maybe you dont have to be professional anything to pass all three exams, but to hold the charter, you most certainly do.

Well that’s kind of my point, let’s say you want to be a doctor, you need to study WHILE apprenticing at a hospital, and being an accountant you have to be sponsored by an audit firm… for the CFA program, there is no such concrete programs where once you have completed your studies you are qualified to be a “professional”.

Even if you accumulate sufficient hours to meet the work experience requirement set by CFAI, honestly speaking, how many people, and how many of those hours, are truly related to the program to be called professional hours?

I’d say less than 50%?

^ Program itself is too tough and if they start approving membership for only those who are currently working in relevant fields, CFA charter would lose it’s appeal. They have to little flexible on that and hence they have added Accountant, Software Developer etc in valid title or experience.

Exactly, and too much revenue given up. you can’t limit the Charter to specific fields.

I just decided that Itera is the best troll I’ve seen in a long time.

I will give exam now after getting job. My employer will reimburse fees if i pass

Delete this thread moderator

Vicki, this is like the 3rd thread in which you’ve stated you were leaving the exam and/or the forum. For the love of god, please stop this nonsense, this is a study board not a f*cking help line.

Yea, she’ll give the exam now. give it some loving.

What does it mean by “give exam”?

give as in give-up? or give as in give it another try?

good one

Vicky, I can empathize with you on this cause I am also facing a similar situation as you have mentioned…Passed L2, have an MBA Finance degree but the post qualification experience is in IT sector, so finding it extremely difficult to cut through a proper Finance role…hardly any interview calls and even those which I appeared recently, the roles didn’t justify my qualifiction both intellectually and monetarily…

So as a fellow struggler, i wud suggest u not to give up on your dream…u need to keep it going…today the Indian market is down and there are hardly any openings for fresher roles but the same wont be true after an year or so cause slowdown can never be permanent…so when the firms start recruting once again, they would look for people with highest qualification (in this case i assume L3 to be given more weightage than L2), so if u fall out now it may hamper ur chances tomo…u never know how things turn out tomo, may be u can become an entrpeneur selling investment ideas, may be a lecturer/tutor in the growing education industry in India, may be something else!!

on a personal note even i face the same question day in and day out - shud i give up or keep it going…but the main reason i believe i wont give up and write L3 is that i don’t want to leave an unfinished task - whether it helps me in getting my dream job or not …passing the cfa exams gives me a sense of self satisfaction that i am learning something which i really like…if u feel like wise my suggestion wud be not to give up!!

Am also fighting a war within myself - to try it again for the third time or to just let it be. Most of my professional experience lies in Singapore corporate tax in a Big 4 acc firm. Had an interview for a regional tax job with an asset management firm and I was asked, if completing the CFA is a personal goal, or am I seeking to make a move to something else. No prizes for guessing what my answer was given what I was interviewing for. But really…is it all worth it? Do I even stand a chance against a freshie? To let it be?

hi,this is dhirendra,i’m preparing for CFa level 1 june 2014,can you please provide me the e-books for level 1 and level 2

You get the CFAI e books with the registration.btw have you registered?

+1

First time back to analyst forum in a year, first thing I see is a vickycool post. Feels like home…