Timeshares For Dummies

I think time shares through organizations typically suck, but it seems like it’d be a cool idea if you and your friends set up your own by going in halves or thirds on a vacation house. As long as they were friends you really knew well and trusted.

Sounds like a bunch of fuggin nonsense. Buy your vacation forward and limit not only the time you can travel, but the destination (higgy is pardoned with his slick deal). Yippee, sign me up!

Worst yet, I hear these MLM dropouts calling Timeshares and INVESTMENT. I should hack their sack off for such a blasphemous comment.

I’ll stick to taking a vacation the old fashion way; take time off when permissable, seek out an ideal destination, arrange accomodations, and have at it.

Wikipedia has a nice section on Timeshares. Replace the word ‘Prospect’ with the word ‘Mark’ to ensure better clarity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeshare#Timeshare_Industry_Sales_Practices

^ Time shares should not be considered an investment.

Couple of people here at work own them and they really regret it.

Based on the responses in this thread, seems like I work with a bunch of idiots.

Some zip called me the other day trying to pitch this ish. Coincidentally, it was someone dialin’ and smilin’ from a registration list from Las Vegas the last time I was there. MS, it actually sounds like the deal you went to. The presentation takes place off of the strip over the course of 2 hours. In exchange, one will get a voucher for a free weekend at Mandalay Bay. Was it worth it? Was it a hard sell? Did they ‘lock’ you in the room for longer than the 2 hours badgering you to buy?

There are tons of 1/6 and 1/4 ownership units in nice vacation spots around here because everyone thinks they’re rich but really aren’t. My beef with this is you can’t really settle in with your own stuff, which is the only advantage I see in having a regular vacation spot versus just renting a term apartment or hotel.

The time share plays on the western belief that everyone is rich and likes telling their friends, “oh I have a place over in SoandSo Beach,” when really it’s a 1 / 52 interest. Therefore, these businesses do well.

You should be a seller in this market, not a buyer. I think there is real upside in segment, though it’s a little slimey.

Do they do timeshares for boats?

^ I can’t imagine they would. People would drive the boat like they stole it as they only own 1/16 of it. The risk of wreck is alot higher for the timeshare organization versus someone staying in a condo at a resort.

I think I had the same salemans as you.

I can answer these:

No, your time is better spent enjoying Vegas. Just buy your own tickets.

Yes, very hard. When the first guy fails, then they bring in his boss who pushes even harder.

After the driving around and walk-throughs (2.5 hours) then they sit your down at HQ for an hour and try to break you.

When my wife and I used my parent’s timeshare in Mexico a few years ago, they threw us out of the sales pitch after about 30 minutes. Apparently they don’t like people who are able to counter all of their BS. It was kind of fun actually, and we got a couple hundred bucks in resort credits and an upgrade to a nicer section of the resort.