To clarify: if return calc involves TVM, is this always considered net nominal?

" ‘after tax salary increases will offset any future increases in expenses’"

Salary would only offset increases in expenses due to inflation. A company wouldnt pay you more just because you decided to live more lavishly.

____

If you want to GROW he portfolio, but inflation isn’t a factor, then the return you calculate via TVM is all that’s needed to grow the portfolio to the target value. Any extra return for inflation is NOT needed cuz the portfolio doesn’t need to fight it off.

If you simply want to MAINTAIN the value of the portfolio, the portfolio must fight off inflation; otherwise, it would decrease in value. This is where NY is correct.

so in 2007 case, what is the inflation adjustment at the end added on for? maintaining the real value of the portfolio or covering the inflation portion of expenses (since there is no offsetting salary)?

i cant be both.

i think the post hereby rahuls is still the clearest to me

http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-iii-forum/91309870

thanks for this link. i replied in that post. so lets see what peoples thuoghts are.

In 2007, you see expenses are increasing at the rate of inflation, so the portfolio must grow at a rate + at the rate of inflation to reach the terminal value.

ill summarize it like this:

1. simply want to maintain value, add inflation (2008, first part)

2. want the portfolio to GROW at a certain value, add inflation if there are outflows that increase the rate of inflation (2007) …

3. want the portfolio to GROW at a certain value, DON’T add inflation if outlfows are FIXED (2008 exam, fixed mortgage payments)

OR if cash inflows and outflows both grow at the rate of inflation, cancelling inflation out (EOC #13)

I think this is fair, however the implicatoin in case 2 and 3 is that the portion of the portfolio not related to meeting expenses will be eroded in real terms. I guess this is ok because they only target a nominal value and don’t state in THAT part of the question they want to preserve real purch power… however earlier on in the question they do state so, so it is a bit confusing. I guess you need to literally assume it is an entirely new objective.