Too many Band 9 and 10 re-takers!!!!

1. There are people from developed countries not only from developing ones with not good English language skills, too.
  2. Those who sat for level 3 exam, already had read few thousands pages of material in English since level 1 till level 3
  3. Many of those wrote hundreds pages of hand notes in English
  4. Many of those were practicing constructed responses and vignettes in English
  5. Ethics part was examined exactly in same manner on L3 like on L2 so no surprise there.
  6. Grammar and spelling in English are not crucial as long as the meaning of answer may be recognized and I am quite sure that graders are trained for such things as bad grammar.
  7. I’m sorry to say that, but you like bullshitting a lot.

To second Flashback’s point’s. The requirements from candidates for the examination may be something along the lines of …Can you remember some terms,…Can you understand the reasoning behind the material…Can you calculate the numbers,

and are you able to relay your understanding in some form (even if it is broken english) and may be underline on emphasize on a few key points …since the graders are obviously aware of some language/expression barriers.

the same is true if you are to give an examination many other professions …medical, law… in the real world an analyst/portfolio manager will need to go through the same hurdles if he has some, so, I am sure candidates who gets into CFA have already or begun with a decent understanding of the language … so, this examination is no different.

can anyone really argue that the program is easier for a non-native English speaker?

Exactly may not be easier and may not be more difficult. There are even not phrases in my language for many things such as prepaid variable forward or call option for example or butterfly spread. We use same terms in jargon. People outside of industry have no idea about the meaning of those. I am quite sure that I would better prepare any similar examination in English than in my own language. I had crisis periods with endless readings only but after all I can conclude the same problem I would have with same readings in my language.

I improved my English a bit. That’s the positive externally for me related to CFAI.

I’m so impressed with non-native speakers. I can’t even pass this exam despite the fact that I’m a native speaker, never learned any foreign languages past a beginner level. I have a JD and worked in an Ombudsman’s office and I still can’t get ethics right :stuck_out_tongue:

As a non native speaker, I don’t feel language poses any extra difficulty for me in the multiple choice questions. I usually complete the multiple choice in less 2:30 Hs or even less, and if I score poorly, it’s just that I didn’t know the answer, not that I couldn’t understand the question or the options. The essay part would be a different story if they required you to elaborate long answers, but they don’t, and many questions are just about showing your work. Short bullet-point answers work great for non-english speakers, and reduces the whole exam to just reading comprehension, which is much easier master. Though, thinking in spanish and then having to translate the answer probably takes away some minutes…

Your English is also pretty clearly at the top of the charts for non-native English speakers. I believe it doesn’t affect you much but it has to be a significant hurdle for others (particularly non-Romance languages).

if one knows the language, practice it every day, say at work or lives in a place where it is used, and has dreams in that language he or she already mastered it in my opinion…

Natives have a small advantage versus non natives…likewise non natives will make a point to learn the material harder (at least would assume they will make a point to write better in the AM) – advantage to non natives…

bottom line, the break up is : 70% hard work, 20% previously acquired skills and 10% pure luck… since even freaking wind velocity can play a role during your exam (AC blows into your forehead…)

just wondering – How does this years’ retakers compare to previous years… and how did you come up with this?

Band 2 for me last year. I read nearly all the Schweser material and watched about all of the 3 hr online Schweser classes. Took 2-3 practice exams. Didn’t come together and we’ll see how it shakes out this year. Didn’t answer any of one AM question LY. 20-22 pt one. Nice!

Wow… two this things…

1- I’m surprised you passed level 2

2- must be “difficult” to get a band 1

1. Sure, Level 2 was tough. I have a full time job, spouse and two teen kids. I got a Top 10 MBA twenty years ago and the CFA is “for fun” and a type of insurance.

2. Band 2 is quite bad. Means I must’ve missed on a lot of jump ball PM questions and didn’t have a good handle on answering AM questions. Also, debt, and in particular contingent immunization, wasn’t my friend. Band 1 is easy to imagine. You actually show up unprepared. Many people sign up for each level and don’t show up. Band 1 is for those that had the nerve to show up knowing that it was a very long shot. Maybe they didn’t come back in the afternoon. However, they probably did. I wonder how many people from each band at each level end up making it to the next level. I was band 8 and 4 at Level II before passing on the third try.

Well I respect your determination… I’m a multiple time retaker myself so I do understand… failing is disappointing regardless of the band