Trading volatility

You are amazing. Do you ever lose on a trade?

To make you feel even more frustrated with my awesomeness, yesterday I called long ChinaAMC CSI-300 ETF in HK (see “the sky is falling” thread), and placed the trade. Today it was up 23.1% , making it the best return out of the thousands of China stocks. Oh and my long Hang Seng pick from yesterday was up 4.1% too. On a serious roll.

I’ve actually been thinking about this question lately. When was the last time? On the Micron Q1 earnings up, shares down event, I took a loss, realized my mistake, and ran far away from that stock. Also back around Q1 I hedged A-shares using ASHR in NY, which was a stupid move, took a loss on the hedge.

lol

The question was asked, and answered. enlightened

Hey purealpha, I just saw this ad and thought of you.

How long have you been around kid?

See time-stamped posts on here for the last 10 years.

yes I bow to your greatness.

Shorted VXX again at $21.56, will double down if it goes totally nuts Fri/Mon due to Greek silliness.

^ Damn, I may have nailed the top on that one, it’s shooting straight down with the (almost) Greek deal. Need to have balls and ride this one straight down to a 25% gain.

Seriously if that Tsipras guy blows this deal, with more erratic behavior… angry

Eric Scott Hunsader ‏@ nanexllc11m11 minutes ago

Yale study: # HFT correlated with higher volatility @ RemcoLenterman # FlashBoysTruth http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1691679 …

^ will read tomrw, though I’d be very surprised to see any evidence blaming market makers for higher vols. A lot of peoplle that I’ve spoken to fail to understand the diff b/w hft and market makers.

anyway, thanks for sharing the paper - will read and come back.

Just booked a 17% gain on that last VXX short, this is easy money guys.

Letting the XIV long position run.

Keep up the good work OP. You seem to be doing very well. I enjoy the reads.

Just keep doubling down if things work against you. That always works. No way you can lose :slight_smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martingale_(betting_system)

One word of serious advice - if you have done as well as you say to this point - only trade with the gains you have made up until now. Don’t go in your back pocket and raise the stakes because feel you are a genius and can’t lose.

Exactly, see it’s not hard guys! cool

Shorted @ VIX 20 as it was 90% chance Greece would sign a deal, low probability of it going higher (China stock market was a non-issue). If Tsipi had done something unexpected/stupid and VIX hit 30, then additional short. If it actually turned into an exit and VIX hit 40 then additional short. Maybe it goes to 45 like in 2012, then it goes down, then I make money. What’s important is financial strength and size of bet – I can hold to VIX 500+. It’s not rocket science guys. There’s no mathematical way I can lose, even if I wasn’t ace at timing the fear-market and gauging real risk. Now, what I want is a VIX 60 event , something really serious that I can sink my teeth into, not these little mini-disaster dramas.

… and I’m done with this thread.

LOL, I knew you’d like that!

You can present the math if you think you can prove otherwise. Let’s exclude meteor strikes that exterminate the human race though…

“The Chicago Board Options Exchange Volatility Index slid 8.5 percent Thursday to 12.11, extending its five-day decline to 39.4 percent. That’s the biggest decrease in the VIX since it began in 1990, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-17/record-vix-retreat-is-just-another-crash-scare-failing-to-happen

I’m like a market timing machine. cool

Ok Purealpha - now what?

VIX spiked to 21.5 (10:30 EST). What do we do? Short it now? Your wisdom after the fact is always so amazing, I’d be curious how it works in real time. lol.

Just shorted VXX when VIX hit 26. I’ll double down on that if it goes in 30s…