Ultimate Leverage! LMK what you think

:rofl:

And I was like USC? Let me Google that. It’s all a game

Good luck man. LMK how it goes. I’m flying out to Charlotte tomorrow to help a friend drive her stuff to Colorado, back this weekend, we should catch up.

You could also probably make 10x if you bought PLTR with that $300k instead over the next 18 years.

Will do man! Look forward to catching up IRL. Cheers. The exam almost certainly will be difficult but I feel prepared, insofar as I ever feel “prepared” for these exams lol. Hoping for calm wisdom on game day :pray:

Why do you need MBA? Feels like it is worthless, unless you do career change, or don’t have advanced degree

I’m playing it by ear. I want do tech or real estate or something entrepreneurial. I don’t mind doing the same thing though tbh! No advanced degree unless charter counts.

MBA not technical enough for the good jobs in tech, will only take you further from being an entrepreneur by throwing away your capital and arguably the same with RE.

Lol allright then I’m doing it for the prestige and network. Bros what don’t you understand my parents will hate me if I don’t. It’d be the second time I rejected usc too. And I recall I said this time I pinky promise I wouldn’t in my essay. Lastly the whole point of the exercise is to use student loans to invest and pay it off. So it’d be self funding! All jokes aside, bottom line I am humbled honored and grateful for the opportunity.

1 Like

Networking at a strong MBA program can get you pretty much anywhere. Go to a top one and you can reinvent yourself. There are few things as powerful as the recruiting platform of a top school. Have plenty of friends who reinvented themselves went from banking to fintech or real estate. You have endless companies coming to recruiting week hunting for students to hire, to put it vulgarly. Plus you have startup incubators where you can meet tech startups with legit funding options etc. Good luck buddy! USC is a good program. You’ll have Cali options for sure. And the CFA surely will help differentiate you when firms come to campus. Make sure to ask the school if they give out GPAs to firms unilaterally. Many schools don’t do that because it makes it harder for students outside the top 10% to get on campus interviews at top companies. Wharton doesn’t do it for example. But I think Cornell’s Johnson School maybe did. As a result - the Wharton kids at the bottom of the class always had the edge over the smarter(?) kids at Cornell just outside the top decile. You will want to know that policy it’s important to you as the student paying for the recruiting. You don’t want to be pre-screened out of the best opportunities because your school gives prospective hiring companies lists of students by ranking and doesn’t just force an open recruiting schedule where no grades are given out and therefore nobody is screened out beforehand. Like suddenly ranking CFAs by top 10% of test takers versus all CFAs. The best programs understand this isn’t in their students’ interests. But some programs still do it because firms put pressure for lists so they can limit their interview schedules in cities. Few students ask this critical question though because it isn’t intuitive from the start.

Regardless of my long windedness here (sorry it’s test week for me) - you’ve got a fine West Coast school in USC, you’ll have a lot of options - congrats and cheers.

is USC better than UCLA? my relative did an MBA at anderson now he killing it at GOOGL

Seems unlikely unless he’s not an engineer or maybe had a strong STEM undergrad. Not sure how many non-engineers are killing it at google.

People still care about mba gpa? I heard from others that nobody cares about that anymore. I usually get pretty good grades in the top 10 percentile. My avg gpa was 3.6 econ. So I’m not too worried. My main focus is to network and meet rich people. That’s one thing that usc has over ucla. Lastly what’s this obsession with engineers. Do people really care about an undergrad major when ur an mba. Lol

1 Like

Some but not all business schools have a policy not to disclose grades for this reason. If they disclose, some firms will ask and they will screen. Not all but definitely some will. Because they want to differentiate. If the school takes this power away from them, it’s to your benefit.

Note that business school grades are generally going to be more generous than your undergrad experience. Because business school is all about creating a marketing package for you so you can get a great job and make the school look good, add to their average graduating salary numbers, become a rich donor etc. So the same level of effort to get a 3.6 in undergrad should get you at least a 3.8 in business school. They aren’t trying to give out no B minuses lol. They want everyone to look super to prospective firms. I am sure you’ll be great.

To answer your final question, people generally don’t care about your undergrad once you’re in the MBA program’s recruiting machine. They only care if it’s in a STEM topic for specific jobs. For the other 99 percent of situations, a top MBA is the “magic wand” where you can reinvent yourself regardless of your undergrad school or degree. Your CFA will be a differentiator in finance though. To be clear there is a major difference between top and mid tier MBA recruiting prospects. But since USC is a top 20 school it should be fine especially on West Coast where their footprint is very strong.

Engineer is a job function at Google. It’s what front office is to investment management, it’s where the talent lies. If you want a technical role at a tech firm then clearly undergrad would matter if grad was MBA. They’re hiring scientists and programmers with hard skill sets, not bullshit artists that can’t code for ■■■■. Obviously you can go get an MBA from ____________ and go work in human resources or client engagement at a tech company but that’s no more tech or likely to get you paid than doing the same function in any other industry.

Lol my first job out of college was literally as a data analyst. I know how to code. It was just boring af. Anyways why would you prefer engineers over say computer programmers. I thought that was the elite major. I always saw engineering as second rate. Like they couldn’t cut it in programming so they did that. Kind of like if you couldn’t be a doctor you went into business major. Lol

Engineer is the job title for their “programmers”. You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about, but you did code that one time, so good luck.

Lol I’ll be honest with you. I know nothing. All I know is that is my stated goal. I’ll figure it out. I’m a quick study.

Quick studies aren’t spending $150k and multi-year chunks of unpaid time in their 30’s for a generalist degree to ??? and make friends.

You’ll be fine. I am on the Penn and Cornell entrepreneurship listservs and it’s literally all day long tech people looking for business school students to partner with etc. USC is the same surely. You will have plenty of options. The school will take care of you. It won’t make you a programmer. You won’t be competing for programmer jobs. But to say you can’t get a great job within the tech industry from a good business school, it means you haven’t been to a top business school. Because it’s not only possible it’s a sector where many grads gravitate to now for obvious reasons. The school machine takes care of its people. The CFA is a harder exam set by far, than a top MBA program. But the recruiting power at a top MBA dwarfs the CFA recruiting power it’s not even in the same universe. So the comments are correct, Google may or may not be a possibility. But a great job in the tech sector? For sure it’s possible and they will offer classes to help prepare you for that. Because that’s what schools do.

Lol ok what do you want first responder. What do you want me to be? Anyhow I’ve beaten myself up over the cost and very likely low roi. But I think I figured out how to solve it. As for the making friends part, you’d be surprised what rich friends can do. If ya don’t know ya don’t know.

I-Banking is your calling