Watch for my Birthday

Not really, who knows what I want better than I do? Of course it’s not getting wrapped, it’s just an excuse to buy yourself whatever the hell you want without feeling guilty.

Nobody buys an expensive watch to tell the time, it’s a piece of jewellery. 99% of people with an interest in watches will subconsciously look at their watch, look away, and have no idea what the time is. They aren’t looking at the time.

I routinely look at my watch (when it is actually working) and have no idea what the time is immediately after. It’s not because I wasn’t looking at the time though, it’s because I was checking that whatever time it was was okay for whatever I was doing, where I was going, etc. Once I know that the time is not an issue, I have no reason to remember the time and immediately forget it.

Can anyone explain to me how this watch:

http://img.carters.com.au/87013.jpg

is different from this watch:

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12052&langId=-1&catalogId=25005&categoryId=331219&cm_vc=331219&pn=&productId=22396464&imagePath=CH2848

They look the same to me outside of color…why would one be thousands more than the other? I just don’t get the expensive watch thing.

But I might buy an iWatch. :smiley:

its your burfday, go spend $2K on a watch. hollar!

I would love to buy the A. Lange & Sohne for myself too, but there are just a couple small things holding me back:

(1) Too expensive

(2) Worried that someone on the subway will cut off my hand and steal my watch

there is an A lange Sohne speciality shop at the French Concession district in Shanghai. That place is pretty badass.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought that watch was a verb.

^the mind fairly reels.

That store is very nice indeed. I rolled in one time after a nice jog from Nanjing Lu. Didn’t realize the store was there so just rolled in wearing my athletic gear and running shoes.

They must have mistaken me for someone famous since I looked like I couldn’t care less about dressing like someone with money – atypical in Shanghai as you can imagine, where most people are of the belief where if you’ve got it, flaunt it…

They served me some delicious oolong tea while I looked at some pretty sweet watches. The guy working there said he could speak English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese and French. Pretty cool.

Some will tell you neither of those watches are worth anything. I would agree with them.

It’s part exclusivity, and partly whats inside your watch.

For one, that fossil is most likely quartz whilst the tag is automatic.

^So? Don’t both tell the same time? In fact the quartz will likely be more accurate.

Not true. Quartz will most likely be more precise but an automatic has better accuracy over time because the gain/loss autocorrects due to positioning. You can also tune an automatic so that the gain/loss is plus or minus 1 second/day

Sure, in that case, why is an automatic watch worth thousands of dollars for +/- 1 second/day?

Simply because the craftmanship and micro-engingeering required to produce an automatic is much more expensive than the battery and the piece of mineral goes into a quartz.

If you think the purchasing decision between autos and quartz is based off accuracy, you’re kinda missing the point.

For another, they both look like sh!t

That’s why you have 2 hands, pansy.

1. I don’t understand this statement… Pretty sure it is not true.

2. Tag Heuer has a few issues: a) They have positioned themselves at the bottom of the luxury watch ladder, b) Some of their models suffer from reputations of poor workmanship and quality control issues, c) Their marketing program is based on prostituting their brand to celebrities (even more than other watch companies). As a result, Tag Heuer has become regarded somewhat as the brand for people who disregard quality and buy products just for the brand name. Some of this reputation is probably undeserved, but it is enough for me to recommend that you do not buy an Aquaracer under any circumstances.

3. Yes, chronometer grade automatic movements are costly due to the high degree of engineering and manufacturing precision, as well as the expensive materials that are often used in their construction. However, this does not make the watches intrinsically useful. People buy them as status symbols. Of course, this is just like everything else in life, so if we are to condemn luxury watches, we must also condemn spacious houses, nice cars, hot wife, any clothing that is not bare protection from the elements, hair cuts, etc.

Here’s the thing though, a Porsche gives you a different experience and is a very visible status symbol, but a 5k watch vs a 200 watch does the same thing, and the only way somebody would recoginze your status from your watch is looking very closely at it.

Do you guys go around looking closely at other mens’ watches?

Yeah, good quality watch that looks nice is all you need. Honestly when I see some of these watches, I just think arrogant or over extended. Unless your itera making $500k a year, spending $25k on a watch is definitely overcompensating. I think its classy for a top CEO to wear one, but your average shmuck its just tacky. Lots of guys that think they have status but really don’t.