Watch for my Birthday

I can agree that is true for the general person. I won’t say I have a special knack for it but my eye hasn’t led me astray thus far. There are always exceptions to the rule. I have a daily ‘beater’ watch that is not swiss, it’s plain and perfect for staying low key and going outdoors.

and Palantir… put a Citizen and a Patek side by side and you’ll notice a difference. If you can’t… re-read this part of my post.

I see what you did there. . .

What did you go for in the end AfricaFarmer?

i planned on treating myself to a speedmaster when I got the charter but in the end I couldn’t wrap my head around dropping £6k on a watch. Circumstances have changed and I’m now reconsidering. Any insights into the 2nd hand market in the UK?

Interesting to hear the views on Tags. I really like the look of Carreras. Anyone got a view on Maurice Lacroix?

Lol

Not a fan of Maurice at that price point. Do you care about ETA or inhouse?

Being a greedy motherfucker, I’m thinking about splitting my 6k across 2 watches, picking up a new Maurice Lacroix Pontos for £2k at the moment and then getting an automatic used Speedmaster down the line once I’ve educated myself on the used market. Having a quick browse on ebay there looks like there are some deals to be had, loads of sellers with 100% and a lot of them with a fixed price amounts with the option to make a lower offer. I really don’t think I could be arsed with a manual wind.

I didn’t realise Maurice Lacroix don’t have an inhouse movement. For my 1st proper watch I think I could live with it though.

Can watch guys usually tell a quartz from looking at a watch? Would that be instant hacksaw?

quartz = instantly identifiable and instant hacksaw for sure.

put them side to side and look at the second-hand…

I dont’ mean the pontos will have a quartz movement. THat’s not what ETA is. ETA is still an automatic movement but it is generic and mass produced. The fact that you would drop 2k GBP on a watch with a quartz movement (literally a computer chip) is a scary thought.

Gonna be honest. Just hunt for the used speedy first. THere are a few good resellers on Ebay who only sell quality used speedies. The pontos won’t get any wrist time, there are only 7 days in a week.

Do research here before you buy anything:

watchuseek --> there’s an Omega forum and a buy/sell forum

watchrecon --> buysell ad aggregator.

^ thanks for the tips for the websites

The Pontos I’m considering is an automatic, I’m not an expert but I know enough not to drop £2k on a quartz. Was just curious if people can tell, Maurice Lacriox seems to have 2 ranges that look very similar, Classiques that are quartz and Pontos that are automatic. The quartz ones are £700 vs £2k+ for automatics, just curious if the difference is that obvious, dealers in my town don’t have Maurice Lacroix in their showrooms so I’ve only seen pictures so far.

I get that ETA are generic automatic movements, I just didn’t know that Maurice Lacroix didn’t have in house movements.

6000 GBP for a Speedmaster? I would think that you’d have to pay maybe 3000 to 4000 GBP for a new one with the new movement (for instance in the link below). It would be cheaper if you settle for the mechanical or the older automatic movement. Maybe prices in the UK are just higher, in which case, perhaps you should consider spending the extra money on a vacation to the US, and do some shopping over here.

http://www.watchmaxx.com/watch/omega-speedmaster-moonwatch-co-axial-chronograph-men-311.30.44.50.01.002?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=311.30.44.50.01.002&gclid=CJXHg8b0jsMCFWgV7AodEh4A5g

I was close to pulling the trigger on a £5,600 Speedmaster '57. Had it on my wrist and didn’t want to take it off. There are plenty from £3000 to £4000 though but I have a habit of getting carried away.

But yes, products like this tend to be cheaper in the US than in the UK, I was thinking about picking something up duty free when in New York in the summer so you can imagine my horror when I landed in Newark naively expecting a decent airport. No plans to visit US this year so far but I will be in Heathrow and Doha airport in the next few months so might be able to get a deal.

Duty free is a good bet. or Asia.

Quartz vs Automatic: clear as night and day. Quartz ‘ticks’ per second; automatic smoothly rolls through time.

Someone told me the cheapest place to buy high end watches is Hong Kong, but I have not verified this. The US is cheap for all kinds of brand name goods, since there is a thriving gray market for almost everything.

Regarding the “ticks”… automatic watches do tick like quartz watches, just in smaller increments, usually 6 to 8 ticks per second. If you look closely, you can see the ticks. However, unless you hold the watch right up to your face, these ticks are usually not perceptible.

There is only one movement that produces a true smooth second hand, and it is a quartz movement - the Seiko Spring Drive. It’s super complicated, and is powered by a spring, not a battery, like in normal quarts movements. The spring powers the watch movement, and also generates electrical energy, which powers the quartz movement and generates an electromagnetic field to regulate the watch.

I knew someone would call me out on this but p was only = 40%. The above is the most technically correct.

No problem. If you ask any of my ex girlfriends, they will say I am used to being called out on small values of p. Wait what?

ohai, do you actually know all this shit, or are you just really good at researching things when they come up in a thread?

I hope you still marked your p length on the host’s ruler.

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/28038253/2015/02/05/man-buys

Bump bump.

I’ve been looking at the Nomos Ahoi Atlantik. I might be going to Canada land in the next month and will be able to take advantage of the fact that they haven’t updated their prices to Canada vs the US. The whole CAD crapping out vs the USD does have a surprising benefit in that I can save ~10% shipping to Canada and picking it up there.

Thoughts? Did anybody in this thread pick up a Nomos?

Lang & Heyne or hacksaw.