Wear a suit or not on first day of job?

Always works

Not just IT folks… One of the major investors visited the new firm I am at and that was the first time I saw some of the guys in anything other than jeans. Actually our IT guy is the best dressed of the bunch lol

Though I guess I only started wearing my baggy pants and sneakers after week 2. I also only interviewed with skirt/shirt, though I went full suit+ torture devices heels to the sell side interviews.

I guess this is a gender thing, but even with client facing roles I totally got away with non suits (cardi+dress pants) while the dudes only dared to take off ties on Fridays.

Heels = lust devices

It’s COMPLETELY a gender thing. Women have far more flexibility in what they can wear. When I went to my Big 4 interview, we all met in the lobby of the hotel they put us up at the night before. Every other dweeb was wearing a cheap Mens Warehouse suit and I wore nice slacks, a button down and a sport coat that cost more than their whole outfit. The other people looked at me like I was an alien. I got a call 3 hours after the interview day ended saying I got an offer. What you wear is funny… it both matters and it doesn’t. I work in the energy industry so I run into a bunch of people, namely geologists, that could wear f^&*ing birkenstocks and flannel to work and still run laps around my salary… Ugh.

In other news, we have a leggy, skinny and tall admin that likes to wear yoga pants to work. Nobody complains. Again, totally a gender thing.

^Especially open toed shoes. Women can wear sandals and “open” heels. Nobody will complain. But guys can’t do that.

One time on a Friday, one of the (male) directors wore shorts and sandals because he was going golfing after though.

I have never seen someone wear shorts to the office.

I’m waiting for the day someone turns up like this:

^ sadly, we might get to this in a century or 2.

^ sadly, probably a lot sooner

^ sadly, I can’t say I disagree.