What are you reading now?

nothing yet! just enjoying this leisure time!

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > EDIT: What are the other three books you picked > up? I always try to keep a reserve of material as > I finish stuff. Also, to other people reading > this thread , I strongly suggest using half.com > for books - I’ve begun assembling a library of > hardback books from there that are all in new > condition, and they on average cost about half of > what it’d cost me to buy on my Kindle. Sad but > true. Fault Lines, Freakonomics, and House of Cards. I also have Guaranteed to Fail and Alchemy of Finance on back order.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bpdulog Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How was Black Swan? That’s one of the four books > I > > purchased today. > > Honestly, the content and message are excellent. > The writing style is grating. Taleb’s ego is > enormous, and he isn’t shy about letting you know > how brilliant he thinks he is. All in all, worth > a read - maybe even worth rereading every few > years - but I’d hate to talk to the guy at a > cocktail party. I did exactly that at a drinks reception after a talk in Oxford…and I agree, he IS a big swinging d**k!!!

Driven from Within - Michael Jordan. No finance related reading for me.

supersadface Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Alex, I am a voracious reader and I got only > halfway through “This time is different”… Really? That’s too bad to hear. I do have an econ background, so I can stomach the academia to some degree, but not this soon after all the studying. I may hold off if that’s the case. I actually picked up The Ascent of Money. It’s another one I’ve been looking to knock off for a while. I read Battle Royale a few years ago… crazy stuff! I also picked up The first book in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I’ve never read a book by him before…

team_alex Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Really? That’s too bad to hear. I do have an econ > background, so I can stomach the academia to some > degree, but not this soon after all the studying. > I may hold off if that’s the case. I actually > picked up The Ascent of Money. It’s another one > I’ve been looking to knock off for a while. Ascent of Money is great. Fascinating read, really well done and well laid-out. I read a lot of Steven King years ago, but never the Dark Tower series, they’re supposed to be good.

A bunch of nice and juicy crime novels :slight_smile:

I have a stack of Warhammer 40K books I am going to read

Currently reading Swag, but also have a stack of books that I had to put aside.

Hardy boys

yodhava Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hardy boys man, i used to love those.

A hero for our time- Mikhail Lermontov. I’m right into 19 century fiction at the moment, so I have a big list of those. I’ve also got a few soccer books to read- Soccernomics and the World is a ball. Finance reading will happen in a few months or so.

Non-finance: The Rights of the People by David Shipler.

Trade Off, it has some good points, but gets repetitive pretty fast. Next on the list are Hedgehogging, Big Short and Raising the Bar

team_alex Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bpdulog Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > All the books I picked up are finance related, > > ha. > > > > Currently reading Fault Lines. > > > I’m thinking I may pick this one up. This Time Is > Different has been on top of my “After Exam Book > List” for months now, but Fault Lines sounds > interesting, too… so I’m headed to the bookstore > after work and we’ll see what I pick up. I’m about half way through, it’s a pretty good read so far. Some may find it to be dry, but if you can get through the CFAI curriculum, this isn’t half bad. Rajan even touches on a few L3 concepts briefly, Taylor rule from econ and house money effect from behavioral finance.

> Re: What are you reading now? Playboy.

I’m reading a non-finance book. Its called “The Emperor of all Maladies”- supposed to be a biography of Cancer. So far it seems interesting. Will let you know how it goes.

For some reason, I just can’t get rid of this momentum for studying, so I’m studying for the electrical worker qualification.

Have not started reading but planning on going for comic books that I used to read when I was a child. Probably Tintin and Asterix.