What are you using to study?

lol Sal, looks like we are going to be doing the exact same prep (minus Hull for you:)

I’m doing the original readings, and I’ll also get Schweser for review, and especially for the question bank. I already did this hybrid approach for the CFA and it served me well in all 3 levels. The GARP readings are good and well written, but unlike the CFA readings they pretty much don’t have any solved end-of-chapter problems. Having problems without the solutions is useless to me when I don’t know for sure what a correct FRM answer would look like. This is where Schweser comes in place. As far as I know the only readings that are not included in the GARP package are from the Hull book. Unfortunately they reference a ton of Hull chapters, like 20 or so! I think/hope using Schweser to summarize Hull will be sufficient. I think if you’re short in time and have some CFA or job related background knowledge just using Schweser will be good enough. But I’m willing to put in the hours for both because I really want to understand the material. I’m one of those freaks that find it interesting.

i’m planning on doing just schweser; hopefully that’s enough.

When are you guys thinking of ordering Schweser then?i know registering deadline is aug 31 before the fee increases…ill order Premium! adavydov, yep…I checked the HULL book…worse comes to worst, Ill buy it second hand and complement it.

I talked to the Schweser folks last week and they said the materials won’t start shipping until the last week of June (so they aren’t even ready yet). I will probably get going in the first few weeks of July.

i got schweser 2008 dec texts and vedios only but am not sure if they are still relivant and how many hours do u guy budget for each study session. >@Salz pls wat do u mean by FRM and JORION i just start readin with Quants

@ Abba:Jorion is the handbook (the GARP bible) and FRM is the Financial Risk Manager designation…not tryin to be s*ass but I dont know what your question is as far as FRM is concerned… http://www.garpdigitallibrary.org/display/frmhandbook.asp Here is the Jorion book…the author is Jorion and its called the FRM Handbook.

Hi all, I am still a bit confused about which material to use. There are 2 alternatives according to me: 1.Core reading+Free Material Online+Jornian Hand Book+Hull 2.Schweser My question is in alternative 1 is all the LOS or AIMS covered?Is there any overlap in Alternative 1… And are there enough practice questions in Core Reading & Jornian Hand as they are in schweser… I appeared for L3 this time so am very much use to schweser…but have heard from few that schweser for FRM is not as good as it is for CFA… Also if i plan to get my hand on 2009 material for alternative 1 will it be fine if i use to older version of schweser(2007 or 2008) just as a point of reference?

1.Core reading+Free Material Online+Jornian Hand Book+Hull You will be out of time with alternative 1 and it still lags actual exam experience. 2.Schweser The concepts description is a bit simplified (which may be good) but actual exam questions are of different formats than Schweser questions so You will need finally to do as many questions as possible from real exams which were availalable for 2002 (very easy) - 2006 (very hard). Some of the questions (unusual conception application and format) on real exam were not tested in Schweser as well as in alternative 1.

Hey thanks YeeS_Mos where can i find the real exams that you are talking about??? and are only available from 2002 to 2006??? what about 2007 & 2008??? As far as time is concerned i have already study most of the topic in my CFA so those will i will just have to brush through…also i have derivative in my MBA trimester so and we do refer to Hull so that again will be taken care of… Is there any overlap between core reading & handbook??

The real exam questions are included in the end of each book in Schweser notes. There were 2002-2006 exams included for Nov 08. Also there was a disk to Jorion which also contained 2002-2006 questions for the edition existed as of 2008. I am not sure about 2007-2008 inclusion in Scweser notes, you should better check/ask at Schweser website.

benefit for passing FRM is not as high as CFA, not as motivated and also wont be studying much will just go with outdated schweser notes and apply common sense during exam

Can I sell you my old notes? Send me a message… Just received the 2009 Schweser FRM Notes…OMFG!!! Twice as much material as last year. The “Notes” look more like those huge CFAI books than some sort of summary of source material.

Mine will be here Monday. Got that email w/ tracking #.

5 books in schweser pack + exams + Qbank + final review pack