what do you candidates currently do?

I was wondering what you guys/gals do for a living? does your work know that your studying for the CFA? Are you admired/resented for it by management or coworkers? do you plan on staying with your firm after you get the designation?

Financial Benchmarking Analyst… Its an offshoot of Corp. Finance Consulting. Somehow no one at work even knows that the CFA is (at least no one I deal with on a regular basis) so if I pass its just “Oh, cool… good job” and if I fail one its gonna be “Omg, what an idiot he studied everyday for months and still failed??.. moron” so its a win win…

are you going to stay when you get the charter?

I did 3 years of investment banking M&A and am now doing private equity. Had a lot of fun studying the PE section for level 2…NOT

I trade equity derivatives. Most people here know what the CFA is but care more about other things - what college/graduate school you went to and your previous work experience.

I’m an Investment Consultant. I do due diligence for 401k plans, interview PMs for funds in our lineup or those we are looking at adding. And make array recommendations to clients. I’m on a team of five, I’m the only one without a CFA, and it’s a “requirement” for the job. So yeah, no pressure or anything…

Crush A$$ Daily

Shrute Farms Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Crush A$$ Daily lol

wangta01 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did 3 years of investment banking M&A and am now > doing private equity. Had a lot of fun studying > the PE section for level 2…NOT Humm why are you doing the CFA program?

Ako Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > are you going to stay when you get the charter? Hellllllls no.

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > wangta01 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I did 3 years of investment banking M&A and am > now > > doing private equity. Had a lot of fun > studying > > the PE section for level 2…NOT > > Humm why are you doing the CFA program? First, because I started and might as well finish up. Second, CFA is valuable for anyone doing investment management - and that includes private equity (to boil it down - we buy companies and need to apply much of the same analysis and frameworks used to value securities). Third, the CFA charter is an investment in improving my skills, knowledge, etc - in that regard, I’d do it regardless of whether I was buy or sell side.

Wang, Does anybody at your firm even have the charterholder? Does it help you in your current role? Do you need it for the career path down PE? Do they respect it?

currently trying to get my confdence back…never ever failed any exam in my lfe CQF,PRM,FRM,CAIA CFA level 1 and Level 2 …all in first attempt and failed level 3 twice…

BiPolarBoyBoston Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Wang, > > Does anybody at your firm even have the > charterholder? Does it help you in your current > role? Do you need it for the career path down PE? > Do they respect it? Yes, a few principals/managing directors do have the charter. Yes, it helps in my current role: FSA - especially when looking at private companies; corporate governance (constitution of boards, etc); corporate finance, valuation, etc. Obvoiusly some parts, like Portfolio Management, are not as helpful as I don’t deal with public securities analysis as much and I have a strong feeling that level 3 might be less useful as level 1 and 2 due to the PM/Financial planning focus. Yes, anybody in the investment management space (and I tend to think most finance professionals) respects the CFA charter. My bosses actually suggested that I finish the program.

Candidate_Level3 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > currently trying to get my confdence > back…never ever failed any exam in my > lfe > > CQF,PRM,FRM,CAIA CFA level 1 and Level 2 > …all in first attempt > > and failed level 3 twice… What do you do for living, certificate collector?

cfaboston :slight_smile: a very common question to me Wheni started in this industry as an analyst, i did not know what a call or a put was. I started as an analyst. Then i started studying things… and the best way to test myself was to write an exam. So went ahead…cleared every thing…thought that CFA level 3 will be last hump…but apparently…this is hanging in my throat for two years…

Interest Rate Derivatives Trader, US and Eurozone…1 yr work ex

would you guys stay at your current firm after you get the charter? what if they gave you a promotion and a raise? sometimes people just want to leave the company regardless of money

I’m an associate in a graduate rotational program in global markets - so far did a stint on the corporates and strips/coupons desks

Shrute Farms Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Crush A$$ Daily i was waiting for ssomething like this …thanks Shrute its been a tuff day