What is Aleppo?

Ha like Trump would have known that answer!

Here’s a good example that has been in the news at least as much (probably more than) as Aleppo:

“What would you do about Davao?”

What candidate could answer that question immediately without checking the memory banks? Maybe Hillary, if she can suppress the coughing. It’s definitely gotcha though. The question should be what would you do about Syria or the Philippines, respectively.

Except the US has absolutely no involvement in anything going on in Davao.

That’s true, since the meeting was called off this week. Like I said, it’s topical and in the news.

Big fail by GJ and very disappointing.

The follow-up was not as disappointing though.

GJ: “I do understand Aleppo and I understand the crisis that is going on. But when we involve ourselves militarily, when we involve ourselves in these humanitarian issues, issues, we end up with a situation that in most cases is not better, and in many cases ends up being worse,” Johnson replied. “And we find ourselves always, politicians are up against the wall, and ask what to do about these things, and this is why we end up committing military force in areas that, like I say, at the end of the day have an unintended consequence of making things worse.”

Did you see the forum from last night? Trump: I know more about Aleppo than anyone on the planet. I know more about Aleppo than the generals, trust me. Clinton barely got a chance to answer a question other than her emails but that is because Matt Lauer sucks.

Today- Asked about Johnson’s inability to identify the city at the center of a major world conflict, Clinton chuckled and said “Well, you can look on the map and find Aleppo,” without elaborating further.

In the larger scheme of things this is not BFD (to quote Biden). GJ still deserves more chances to clarify his stances and I think he deserves a chance to debate. He may not be the smartest on foreign policy but this guy is an isolationist so its not that surprising. I would be interested to hear what Weld would have said.

He knows Aleppo is in Syria and significant. His mind was on a different train of thought. My pin cushion asked about her dog while we were doing other things. I thought she was talking about one of her exes. I was so confused and then it dawned on me. Story out of nothing. No reflection of his knowledge.

Well it clearly reflects on his lack of knowledge… it’s just whether we think that is important compared to his other views.

Definitely a blunder, but I like the fact he just straight-up asked “what’s Aleppo” instead of doing what 99% of politicians would do and dance around the question trying not to look idiotic.

Plus, if I really put on my fanboy hat, this isn’t that big of a blunder for a Libertarian candidate. Libertarians are military isolationists so unless Aleppo is willing to engage in free trade of camel milk, there’s not much GJ would do there.

+1

It definitely feels like the media is asking Trump/HIllary softball questions like “What is your favorite color?”, but then they ask GJ “What is the capital of Assyria?”.

Unsurprisingly, the media then throws GJ into the gorge of eternal peril for not being able to answer the same softball question.

^ We do have to keep in mind that as the unofficial media arm of the democratic party, it’s in the best interests of MSNBC to make everyone other than HRC look as bad as possible.

But without this, what else is there to write about Gary Johnson? 80% of people probably don’t even know who he is.

^Agreed. So in his case, I think negative publicity is better than no publicity at all.

A foreign policy question would be a softball question for Hillary.

“Why did you fuck up Benghazi so badly?”

Any question on MSNBC would be a softball question for Hillary

She did nothing wrong with Benghazi

Gov. Mike Huckabee Verified account ‏@ GovMikeHuckabee

Reporting on Gary Johnson’s faux pas, the New York Times misidentified Aleppo as the de facto capital of ISIS (that’s the city of Raqqa).

She Ignored (dozens? More?) of requests for extra security. Her inaction led to the first killing of a US Ambassador since 1979 and the deaths of 3 other Americans. Leadership is not just about the things you do but also about the things you fail to do.

^Wrong.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2015/10/21/a-comprehensive-guide-to-myths-and-facts-about/206289

Yes, for every Fox News claim, there is an equal and opposing Liberal news claim.