What is your current role?

Corporate Planning and Strategy for a Canadian O&G company. Basically just do M&A work (target screening, modeling, dispositions etc) and market research.

dspapo and kcin, Curious as to what your career plans/goals are? Is the CFA charter (or the quest) aligned with your current roles or is it for something you wish to move to in the future? Thanks.

My position is similar to Gouman’s - jr. analyst in corporate finance. Hoping to transition into something market related soon.

Phd candidate in physics and “professional” designation collecter (CFA, CAIA, FRM, PRM, CMT). Hoping to transition from an annual salary of $0.00 to >$0.00 in two years.

bostonkev Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Phd candidate in physics and “professional” > designation collecter (CFA, CAIA, FRM, PRM, CMT). > > Hoping to transition from an annual salary of > $0.00 to >$0.00 in two years. Wow bostonkev. Do you really need that many to give you an extra ‘edge’? You can literally go into any professional field of your choice

I’m not really looking for an extra employment edge, but rather I find this stuff so ridiculously interesting intrinsically and I want to challenge myself. [If I knew about finance earlier, I might not have gone into physics… though I still really enjoy research in physics and hope to continue it on later in life.]

Big 4 exam qualified accountant looking to move into equity research/valuations type work, I think in the U.S. this may not be a route but it is here in London probably a bit different to the others here

MbobJ have you tried applying already? If you have ACA you can already get some business analyst/ research type roles as you have good grasp of Financial statements…?

Currently in an IT Role in a Global Investment Bank but looking move into Equity Research. I just Love Finance. I wish I could have realized that much earlier but never too late to try to get what you want. Can someone suggest what I should do to try to start my career in financial mkts? It has been more than 6yrs into IT. But now no more please. Hope I get a job after Level 2.

I haven’t tried but i presented my CV to recruiters and they said they would put me forward, but i wanted another bow, hence i sat level 1 at weekend…but not sure if i got through…shall see

cfaatsb Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > dspapo and kcin, > > Curious as to what your career plans/goals are? > > Is the CFA charter (or the quest) aligned with > your current roles or is it for something you wish > to move to in the future? > > Thanks. the fsa helps with the m&a and the quant is good for various models i build, but anything related to capital markets doesn’t help really. it’s my first job out of school, and i get a tn of face time with the execs and PE owners. i went to a pretty mediocre undergrad, so it’s a great value-adding role to be in right now. i definitely want to move to something more applicable to the curriculum, though.

I am into IT Consulting… don’t know how to make a shift into Finance… have a decent educational background in Finance, but no work experience… I am sooo confused… Only hoping I don’t have to start as an Intern now…

I’m a CPA doing business valuations, working on ASA cert this year. Formerly in high-tech marketing in the semiconductor sector. Looking for a semi-analyst position next hiring cycle (Mar '09) hopefully with Level-1 by then.

Noob investment consultant to major pension plans, endowments, 401k, high net worth. I do research, face to face consulting, and back office. Mainly asset allocation, economy, market performance, fund manager selection, and ad hoc tasks (most recent is developing custom lifecycle fund series for a 401k line-up).

I work as an Internal Auditor - Investment Management side - for BlackRock Inc… Trying to move towards, research side !! HELP ME !!

CPA here… was in BO then moved on to Basel II Hope to try either frm or prm soon but still can’t decide on which yet :slight_smile:

hawgdriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Noob investment consultant to major pension plans, > endowments, 401k, high net worth. I do research, > face to face consulting, and back office. Mainly > asset allocation, economy, market performance, > fund manager selection, and ad hoc tasks (most > recent is developing custom lifecycle fund series > for a 401k line-up). Sounds like a pretty all encompassing role. What do you want to move into after CFA?

hawgdriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Noob investment consultant to major pension plans, > endowments, 401k, high net worth. I do research, > face to face consulting, and back office. Mainly > asset allocation, economy, market performance, > fund manager selection, and ad hoc tasks (most > recent is developing custom lifecycle fund series > for a 401k line-up). how do you screen for a fund. lets say a large cap growth fund. what are you’re knockout criteria? alpha? expense ratio? treynor?

equity research (software sector) here

IT Job …Designing systems for healthcare Insurance firm… Looking at CFA as a means to switch career …!..Let’s see if it works out!