What would you invest in right now?

Anyone concerned that as the election comes into focus and possible dem win that dividend stocks will be hurt (as at least Obama wants to repeal that part of Bush tax cut)?

Syd_RE Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Gold anyone? I’m long gold and have been for about 18 months. I have no plans to reduce this position any time soon. I don’t think it will run up as fast as it has over the last year, but I do think it will keep rising, because gold usually goes up when things go to pot. And gold holds its value well during stagflation.

I don’t know, may-be I was getting wrapped up in all these value investors but Bear Stearns? Willy

I have buys on all these right now. XHB - $17 KBE - $40 IFN - $45 DIA - Average it now

How many of you can beat an equity index long-term? I’m starting to believe more and more in passive investing.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How many of you can beat an equity index > long-term? > > I’m starting to believe more and more in passive > investing. You know, the more I ‘trade’, the less I make, which also makes me think that you’re right. But then I look at what’s possible by investing wisely al a Warren Buffet style and I realize that passive investing is great only if you don’t have the tools to make a wise investment choice or the steadfastness to stand behind your decisions on a long term basis.

I think each of us is better at making certain kinds of bets than others. It may be sensible to leave the bulk of your portfolio to index-like strategies, and reserve a small amount for trading those kinds of bets that you feel you have some kind of edge with. And you may need some “learning money” for figuring out what kinds of bets you’re good at.

darkhelmet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > former trader Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > How many of you can beat an equity index > > long-term? > > > > I’m starting to believe more and more in > passive > > investing. > > > You know, the more I ‘trade’, the less I make, > which also makes me think that you’re right. But > then I look at what’s possible by investing wisely > al a Warren Buffet style and I realize that > passive investing is great only if you don’t have > the tools to make a wise investment choice or the > steadfastness to stand behind your decisions on a > long term basis. Warren Buffet is one in a billion. He is an outlier. I’m more comfortable playing the odds. What percentage of people can beat an index long-term? I’ve heard 5% thrown around a lot.

BF/B & CEDC Booze and cigs baby!

Buy Apple (AAPL)

For my long term time horizon, I’ve had the majority of my portfolio in equity index funds and a couple actively managed mutual funds for a few years now. All their expense ratios are well below the industry avg. Seems boring but it works for me. Also have a decent chunk of money in a money market mututal fund so I can buy an investment property at some point.

Agricultural commodities…look at RJA - this fund came out last October and then put in a chart of the S&P500 against it…it’s a beautiful thing. Agriculture has a massive supply/demand imbalance right now…Central banks across the globe are very hawkish because, unlike the U.S., their core basket includes certain food classes and energy classes, and the main reason inflation has been going up globally is due to rising food prices…look for that trend to continue and this fund should be a star performer this year and further out…i got a good bulk of my assets in it…homebuilder ETF? i’m still short HBs from spring of 2006.

Large cap growth…in particular, companies with a significant amount of international exposure (40% to 50%). As a side note, GRMN looks pretty cheap right now.