What's your most favorite expensive food?

Yep, there’s something like only 8 or 9 places that serve real Kobe and I think 3-4 of them are in Vegas.

sushi

Sushi.

Things you eat so infrequently that they would qualify as a treat, however subjective that may be. And to those rolling in the dough who have no practical limits on what they eat, then the things that normal people would consider expensive.

Good point, but it was a special treat while on a business trip in SF (Alexander’s Steakhouse). Not on my dime, either.

#LuckyMe

Yea, I gave up on that life. I’m a lunch box kinda guy now. Hopefully AMZN’s acquisition pays off in that Amazon Fresh expands their selection and is able to further bring costs down. It’s really wonderful not having to make weekend plans to getting grocery shopping done.

Crab, or some type of aged cheese.

I don’t really pay attention to what things cost at the grocery store, I just buy what I like. The one exception is the ridiculous premium I pay for organic milk with added DHA Omega 3 so my kids maybe don’t bes so stupidish. Yes, I know they could just eat fish instead, but they don’t and I don’t feel like fighting with them about it.

Why’s everyone listing sushi? How much is sushi where you are?

Nothing like sitting down to a nice plate of Persian saffron.

I don’t usually spend a lot on expensive food, per se. I tend to spend more on having extremely skilled people prepare food that would otherwise be inexpensive. I can make pasta at home, but Vetri makes it better.

I think that is why people list sushi, truffles or steak: because the ingredient itself is expensive, unlike pasta. When I buy an expensive raw ingredient, it is usually alcohol.

Scotch is a food, right?

Lagavulin.

Dorsia.

Good sushi can get significantly more expensive than utility grade sushi. Like $250 per meal.

You are the closest living thing to Ron Swanson, I swear… even closer than Nick Offerman.

not to mention sushi in the west isnt even sushi. this japanese placedown the road has chicken sushi, da fk is that?

You could never get a table at Dorsia

Spek/Prosciutto or Sushi.

If you’re ever in Fort Worth, go to Lonesome Dove and get the Wagyu Tomahawk Ribeye.

I’m not a huge fan of most of the traditional expensive ingredients, ie caviar, lobster (which is just expensive due to scarcity and usually comes smothered in butter or mayo anyway), foei gras etc.

Like BWYF, I’m quite happy to drop some cash for someone else to prep some fine food for me though. I’m going to Japan soon and I’m fully intending to get myself to a 3 star sushi place to complement all the street food, yakitori and ramen etc I’ll be smashing while I’m there.

Sukiyabashi Jiro is basically the Japanese version of Dorsia. They have a full page instruction manual on how to conduct yourself at the restaurant: https://www.sushi-jiro.jp/dining-at-jiro/

personal favourite quote is “Jiro Ono takes care to make each piece smaller for older woman customers.”

^ do you work 6 months on 6 off or something?

I swear you’re going on a vacation every month