who owes who

For those who have wives or husbands: If/when we’re done with the program and we get the letters, is it the charterholder who owes the spouse bigtime or the other way around? I’ve been going through this program thinking I was doing a great thing for my family to secure my earnings potential and provide for my family. On the other hand, my wife has basically been a single mom since January. I’m starting to think maybe I owe for that. Thoughts?

LOL…the best way I can put it is 50/50. During my reward dinner meeting, all the spouse were recoginzed.

you ALWAYS owe the wife - no matter what the circumstances

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you ALWAYS owe the wife - no matter what the > circumstances Yes.

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you ALWAYS owe the wife - no matter what the > circumstances So true lol… After I got my letters - I took my husband on a vacation. His support and understanding was very much appreciated. I thought I’d act on that appreciation.

In my case I figured I would only tell her about the whole CFA thing if/when I passed all 3 exams and got the charter. Better not to say anything until I succeed. (In my part of the world hardly anybody has ever heard of the CFA anyway - not even in the finance game). This year the exam is on our wedding anniversary (i’m doing L3) so I will need to come up with a story for being gone the whole day! I’ll come clean if/when I pass…

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my case I figured I would only tell her about > the whole CFA thing if/when I passed all 3 exams > and got the charter. Better not to say anything > until I succeed. (In my part of the world hardly > anybody has ever heard of the CFA anyway - not > even in the finance game). > This year the exam is on our wedding anniversary > (i’m doing L3) so I will need to come up with a > story for being gone the whole day! I’ll come > clean if/when I pass… I just have to ask where you are from… (as I’m sure others are dying to know). In the United States it would not only be impossible to keep such a thing private, it would probably also be considered virtually grounds for divorce! My wife is so pissed off about the CFA that I literally go out of my way to not mention those three letters.

I used to know quite a few people who worked at CFAI (back when it was AIMR) as I went to school and worked in lovely Charlottesville, VA. Somehow, someone there learned that a charterholder was going through a divorce, and the court considered the charter marital property, subjecting it to division. Since the charter is not alienable, of course, this just meant more money for the other spouse, like an MBA earned during a marriage. I think the court valued it at $500,000, which struck me as wildly implausible then.

plyon Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > null&nuller Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > In my case I figured I would only tell her > about > > the whole CFA thing if/when I passed all 3 > exams > > and got the charter. Better not to say anything > > until I succeed. (In my part of the world > hardly > > anybody has ever heard of the CFA anyway - not > > even in the finance game). > > This year the exam is on our wedding > anniversary > > (i’m doing L3) so I will need to come up with a > > story for being gone the whole day! I’ll come > > clean if/when I pass… > > I just have to ask where you are from… (as I’m > sure others are dying to know). > > In the United States it would not only be > impossible to keep such a thing private, it would > probably also be considered virtually grounds for > divorce! > > My wife is so pissed off about the CFA that I > literally go out of my way to not mention those > three letters. I’ve gotten so annoyed about the CFA that I go out of my way not to think about the letters. It’s just about finishing what I started at thsi point.

I’m with you plyon. How can you keep CFA exam prep a secret ??? . Not only my spouse but the whole world knows- and you have to answer q like -when is your exam? How many subjects ? How long is it ? when you are going to get results ? What kind of job you get after that ? !!! and you said your wife does not know !!! I can’t believe that !!!

echason Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I used to know quite a few people who worked at > CFAI (back when it was AIMR) as I went to school > and worked in lovely Charlottesville, VA. Somehow, > someone there learned that a charterholder was > going through a divorce, and the court considered > the charter marital property, subjecting it to > division. Since the charter is not alienable, of > course, this just meant more money for the other > spouse, like an MBA earned during a marriage. I > think the court valued it at $500,000, which > struck me as wildly implausible then. so i guess if a divorce court splits up the CFA - she gets the “C”, he gets the “A”, and obviously nobody is getting any “F”

null&nuller Wrote: > so i guess if a divorce court splits up the CFA - > she gets the “C”, he gets the “A”, and obviously > nobody is getting any “F” ______________ As I recall, he kept all the letters and she got 1/2 of what the judge thought they were worth strung together.

*whom

thanks brother, i know the correct usage. but for some reason i think using ‘whom’ on a board makes a person come off like a pretentious douche bag.

null&nuller Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > so i guess if a divorce court splits up the CFA - > she gets the “C”, he gets the “A”, and obviously > nobody is getting any “F” so what changed? Heyo!