Why is it so hard to find philosophical or technical depth?

Good one.

Buncha pseudo intellectuals circle jerking each other off in cafes wearing horn rimmed glasses, flannel shirts and skinny jeans talking about how they only drink Caribou Coffee because Starbucks is just so corporaty and Sandy Hook was staged by Monsanto anyway. Nice.

What if we’re all just brains in a vat? How do I know the red I see is the red you see?

TRH is too hipster for The Republic. Apologia is my favorite of Plato. I can tell TRH is a Nietzschean kind of guy, probably read Thus Spake Zarathustra in high school and wore dark colors.

First girl I ever got with in college I was actually reading Thus Spake…at the airport and picked her up by motioning her over to sit next to me. I was way too cool. Now, I like the ancient and eastern stuff more.

Well, I think you were the guy making fun of people for like Macklemore and Mumford now, because that’s so 2010…pretty much the most hipster thing you can do.

Yeah I went to school with these types. Being a red-blooded American male I found it real uncomfortable.

I remember we once had to come up with a skit for drama class. This one hipster goes up and performs his skit.

In French. wtf

Nah, I like both artists. I laugh at people that think it’s new music and they’re so hip to the scene. Nothing hipster about being into new music, the indie / underground music scene was born on the backs of hardcore bands long before New Yorkers with liberal arts degrees began dressing like lumber jacks to be ironic.

LMAO at the responses, good stuff

No, they were just lesbians.

if you calculated each member’s avg words per post, mygos would be the leader.

Dang.

Don’t worry man, you’d be #2 :slight_smile:

There’s no way you have a Twitter account.

Aw man, I feel terrible, here I have started this thread and now poor mygos is getting peppered with negativity. I take responsibility, buddy. Poor bastard was the only respondent who took my original post seriously.

fart

You don’t seem as negative of a person as I originally thought. Maybe your first thread I read here was a biased sample.

My solution to the problem has always been to improve how I explain what I’m seeing/thinking/observing to someone who isn’t used to thinking. Have to avoid looking preachy. Some people treat me like Dos Equis now because of it. Maybe it’s just your approach?

Well, I appreciate that. Although to be fair, I would not say that the typical poster on this forum is the bastion of pure sunlight. I mean, a casual observation of the topics and tones on this forum would reveal a crowd of degenerates to the objective observer. Not that there’s necessarily anything wrong with that. Don’t confuse seriousness with negativity.

Also, I’m not looking for how to meet new friends and influence people with this post. I have that skill locked up airtight. I’m merely posing a general question about the nature of how people (even ones that hold themselves out as “deep-thinking” analysts) have less attention span than a salivating dog, and how that can lead to decision-making problems and managerial incompetencies in our industry.

Of course, I’ve lost people as the post is not about: HCBs, how I can make $500K a year as a 23-year-old with no work experience as a Level I candidate, top 0.5 MBA programs-within-programs, size and consistency of defecation, separating the testicles from the body with tetanus-inducing serrated cutting instruments, and the like.

I don’t believe you.

That being said, I also think you aren’t giving enough merit to making quick decisions.

Sometimes not thinking about things too deeply can be beneficial. If you don’t make the decision now, based on the information you have, you run the risk of somebody else going there and taking all or most of your potential profit.

Tight post. Strange. But tight.

^ Yo jcole, I applied to your job…

Yea I didn’t mean to imply everyone else is OK here. There are a few posters I’d love to meet and some not so much, as with any crowd.

But my point was exactly #2. As a deep thinking person yourself, you probably realize it’s a natural tendency to want to blame others instead of oneself. However you may find tweaking the presentation gets others to pay attention for longer periods of times. It has nothing to do with making friends or influencing people, just captivating the audience and relating it in a way they’ll want to do it. For this audience, you’d relate it to HCBs, money, or hack saws. ha ha

Liberal Arts grad here I went through years of those types of discussions and essentially learnt that it’s just a huge waste of time and 90% of the people who engage in those types of discussions are just trying to feed their own egos. Also, to butcher a quote of Socrates ‘All I know is that I know nothing.’ and with that insight it really is just a futile excercise.