Why soccer sucks and suggested fixes

i dont see how anyone that enjoys soccer could call baseball boring. Baseball is by far my favorite sport. One of the beauties is that there is no clock. No matter what the score is, you can’t try to just kill a clock and wait out the other team - you have to really earn it.

smileygladhands Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i dont see how anyone that enjoys soccer could > call baseball boring. > > Baseball is by far my favorite sport. One of the > beauties is that there is no clock. No matter what > the score is, you can’t try to just kill a clock > and wait out the other team - you have to really > earn it. Each to their own, but i dont get baseball. We call it rounders and it never took off (or anywhere else for that matter). Guy throws ball, guy hits ball with bat. Runs in a circle. Where are the permutations and combinations that you get with football? Goals from the left, right, off the head, free kick overhead kick, running round 5 players. Players sent off, referee missing a clear goal, fans singing rival songs, the atmosphere. Ah, so beautiful. Have you ever been to a soccer game in the UK? Go to one when you are next in London with a football fan pal, you will understand.

I think it comes down to two things; more options, and the pressure applied by fathers to pursue the sports they are more familiar with. higgmond Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sparty419 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > Secondly, its up to FIFA to decide if they want > to > > penetrate the US market. How are you going to > do > > it again three 1,000 pound gorillas? You need > to > > compete against baseball, basketball and > football. > > MLS is just slowly gaining inertia, but the > > quality is still poor. Plus, a majority of the > > fans are plastic fans. You can see that > yourself > > in this WC. If the US goes far, they’ll > celebrate > > for a few months, after that, football season > > starts again and everything is forgotten. You > need > > dedicated fans for the sports. The US cannot > > provide that currently (in large numbers I > mean). > > > > One way FIFA could enter the market could be to > > change the rules slightly to make it more > > “American”, hence the video replays > incorporated > > into it. Maybe, and I say maybe, then it could > > have more respect in the US. > > > Soccer already has the highest participation level > in the US up until about age 13, so it’s a matter > of the sport’s inability to keep fans, not it’s > inability to get fans. Not sure why this is > though.

My favorite part about soccer is the orange slices at half time and the sunny d after the game.

how good are orange slices…unbelievable

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- “Why soccer sucks and suggested fixes” I don’t watch sports, that has pretty much fixed the whole thing.

To me, soccer sucks for the same reason that hockey (except for playoff hockey, which is actually watchable sometimes) sucks - not enough scoring. They need to make the goals bigger, like say the size of a small 3BR house, and then the sport would be worth watching. A 10-9 game would actually be exciting and keep people on the edge of their seat. And just for shits and giggles (I’m sure I’ll get flamed for this), do you guys ever stop to think why soccer is the most popular game in the world? IMHO, it’s because the majority of the world is pretty damned poor, and soccer is the easiest game to play when you’re poor - 20 people (or however many comprise two teams) can play against each other with one ball. The fact that it’s the main sport played by the rest of the world (many, many of whom don’t know/play any other sports because the equipment for them would be prohibitively expensive) to me somewhat puts an asterisk next to its “popularity”. Long story short, it’s the most boring sport I’ve ever tried to watch.

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > To me, soccer sucks for the same reason that > hockey (except for playoff hockey, which is > actually watchable sometimes) sucks - not enough > scoring. > > They need to make the goals bigger, like say the > size of a small 3BR house, and then the sport > would be worth watching. > > A 10-9 game would actually be exciting and keep > people on the edge of their seat. > > And just for shits and giggles (I’m sure I’ll get > flamed for this), do you guys ever stop to think > why soccer is the most popular game in the world? > IMHO, it’s because the majority of the world is > pretty damned poor, and soccer is the easiest game > to play when you’re poor - 20 people (or however > many comprise two teams) can play against each > other with one ball. > > The fact that it’s the main sport played by the > rest of the world (many, many of whom don’t > know/play any other sports because the equipment > for them would be prohibitively expensive) to me > somewhat puts an asterisk next to its > “popularity”. > > Long story short, it’s the most boring sport I’ve > ever tried to watch. Then don’t watch, don’t comment. Enjoy the hock…zzz.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > skillionaire Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > To me, soccer sucks for the same reason that > > hockey (except for playoff hockey, which is > > actually watchable sometimes) sucks - not > enough > > scoring. > > > > They need to make the goals bigger, like say > the > > size of a small 3BR house, and then the sport > > would be worth watching. > > > > A 10-9 game would actually be exciting and keep > > people on the edge of their seat. > > > > And just for shits and giggles (I’m sure I’ll > get > > flamed for this), do you guys ever stop to > think > > why soccer is the most popular game in the > world? > > IMHO, it’s because the majority of the world is > > pretty damned poor, and soccer is the easiest > game > > to play when you’re poor - 20 people (or > however > > many comprise two teams) can play against each > > other with one ball. > > > > The fact that it’s the main sport played by the > > rest of the world (many, many of whom don’t > > know/play any other sports because the > equipment > > for them would be prohibitively expensive) to > me > > somewhat puts an asterisk next to its > > “popularity”. > > > > Long story short, it’s the most boring sport > I’ve > > ever tried to watch. > > > Then don’t watch, don’t comment. Enjoy the > hock…zzz. Sorry; I must’ve misread the title of the thread.

Yeah, you got me there :wink:

They need to fix the quality of referees, and insert RFID chip inside each ball. Retrain them how to spot a goal (England Vs Germany), how to catch an offside (Mexico), how to allow a goal when there is no offside (Spain Vs. Paragury, first goal by Paragury #18 disallowed which they thought #7 was offside. FIFA = FAIR ?? Not anymore.

The WC final was awful. Too much diving, acting, groping, jung fu kicking…terrible game and did not enjoy watching it.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The WC final was awful. Too much diving, acting, > groping, jung fu kicking…terrible game and did > not enjoy watching it. I thought it was a good game, a little too card happy. Part of soccer is being a contact sport but spain was just going overboard on diving and acting. Really ruins the flow of the game.

How about removing a permanent goalkeeper? That’ll make the sport high scoring.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How about removing a permanent goalkeeper? That’ll > make the sport high scoring. Keep the goalie, but don’t let him catch the ball. He can still use his hands to knock it down and punch it away though. Maybe give him a goal crease that no one else can enter so he doesn’t get kicked in the head if he makes a diving save and can only knock the ball straight down.

How about instead of a ball filled with air, we play with a ball filled with nitroglycerine?

You guys have to see this – Worst Football Dives EVER! Hilarious YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioyt2zzm530 My favorite one has to be the one at 0:55. Love the music, too.

BTW, just saw this ridiculous feature on YouTube – if you click the link above, towards the right of the time bar and left of the “Pop Out” button, there is a small button with a soccer ball on it. If you press the button, there’s a constant sound of background vuvuzelas. Wow…I think I’m going to go nuts.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BTW, just saw this ridiculous feature on YouTube > – if you click the link above, towards the right > of the time bar and left of the “Pop Out” button, > there is a small button with a soccer ball on it. > If you press the button, there’s a constant sound > of background vuvuzelas. Wow…I think I’m going > to go nuts. I downloaded a Vuvuzela app and then tied my iPhone to my buddies cat. Since the cat was scared of the noise and the noise is activated by motion it was like we were actually there!!!

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > You guys have to see this – Worst Football Dives > EVER! Hilarious YouTube clip: > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioyt2zzm530 > > My favorite one has to be the one at 0:55. Love > the music, too. This is so funny. Unbelievable.