work in ER....sort of....advice?

bkballa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Dannyboy I’m not saying I should be paid the > same…I’m asking what are my chances of moving t > a bb after being here for a year and maybe passing > some cfa exams, I already have level 1. I think > market value is a bs concept for people out of > undergrad…the guy coming out of columbia or > penn doesn know any more than I do,but can get > those jobs because of their pedigree…don’t get me > wrong,they deserve to get paid more,but I would > like to catch up! It is easy to go from big to small. It is extremely difficult to go from small to big.

That’s what she said?

If I worked 12 hours a day, I’d be trying to go from FO to BO instead.

Palantir Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I worked 12 hours a day, I’d be trying to go > from FO to BO instead. exactly. you work 12hrs in SS maybe if you have two companies reporting in the same day, 1 BMO and 1 AMC i mean 80hr weeks doing SS, come on thats ridiculous! i think the longest week i’ve ever had to put in so far (~1 year) was 60hrs, and that includes initiating on a new sector while covering an existing one. it sounds like some people are just really bad with time management, just like the kids in college who pretended to be super busy but were mostly just surfing the net

Hours in ER vary depending on sector and analyst. Having worked in ER at various BBs for 4yrs, I’ve clocked +80 hours maybe 2-3 times. It sucks and it’s unsustainable. Former colleagues in consumer staples, beverage and tobacco group (to name a few) probably worked on average 50-60 hours a week outside of earnings vs. former colleagues in energy and healthcare team clocked 70-80 hours a week. Bottom line, it depends.

Does anyone work in ER past their 30s? It seems like too big of a trade off.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Does anyone work in ER past their 30s? It seems > like too big of a trade off. Yes, many.

And still pulling 50+ hours a week? Not great for their families imo.

Most people in finance probably work 50 hours a week or more. What planet are you from?

A planet called finance where nobody works 50 hours a week or more. Guess I must be doing something wrong.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Most people in finance probably work 50 hours a > week or more. What planet are you from? On the sellside, worked on average 60-65 hours/week (outside of earnings). Now on the buyside, work on average 45-50 hours/week (including earnings).