WOW

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Anyone believe in efficient markets these days? > > > I think I’m going to change my breakfast cereal to > one of my childhood favorites: > > “Alpha-bits” +1

or how about… “beta bites”

or how about… “gamma hammers”

or how about a can of stfu?

no, you STFU, lol

I always wondered what STFU meant when I saw it floating as Alpha-bits in my bowl. In fact, Alpha-bits probably would be a lot better now. As I was growing up, it was really hard to get “Able was I ere I saw Elba” to float in my milk, but these days, “LOL,” “ROTFL,” “STFU,” “RTFM,” are probably all over the place. Maybe they now have “Alpha-bits, digital edition,” just a bunch of 1s and 0s. Nah, that would be Cheerios mixed with Rice Crispies… shucks… I should have patented that back in the 70s!

What’s funny about this is that everybody but the stock market knew we were in a recession in early 2007. Spending was down, energy was way up, everything was tanking, yet, somehow, the market never priced it in. Personally, I think this was the over-correction.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How many of you at the end of last week thought “I > shoulda sold/gone short.” > > I’m kicking myself (a little), but then maybe it > would have gone up and I’d be kicking myself > again. > > Over and over, I realize that the quality of a > decision is based on whether it was a good > decision based on information known at the time it > was made. So that means “how unexpected was the > result,” and “did you overexpose yourself to the > risk, given the likelihood of the outcome.” No > hard-and-cut answers to those, necessarily, but > definitely questions worth asking. > > Another big question is whether there was > information that you didn’t consider that you > should have considered when evaluating the > questions above. If so, at least you learned > something. True, but then again that is look ahead bias. Sometimes I wonder how much of the CFA material relates to real life…lol

The L3 behavioral finance material DEFINITELY relates to real life.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > The L3 behavioral finance material DEFINITELY > relates to real life. it does and it is terribly boring to read~!

L3 Buckaroo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Canada’s drop was b/c of Dion/Layton posturing and > pretending they’re remotely capable of holding the > PM’s job. That’s right, Canada’s governmental > stability ranks right up there with many central > African nations right now. > > Interesting that the loonie was pretty much > unchanged though… Disagree. Read what MattlikeAnalysis replied. If the political junk going on in Parliement made the markets nervous, the dollar would have declined. Markets worldwide were down at least 5%. The TSX overshot on the upside on Friday afternoon. While the Dow closed at 1PM on Friday and European markets were closed since 11AM, the TSX went up another 3% based on nothing in the afternoon session. Today, we simply lost the last few green trading days just like every other market worldwide.

Black Swan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So what’s the BS makeshift reason they’ve assigned > to today’s movements. soooooo true.

Mama can I open my eyes? Is the world over? u there moma… anybody there…

brace for another day of red tomorrow. I’m sitting in cash for the most part (after selling on fri) so I’ll be on the lookout. :slight_smile:

i think SSO would be a good play on heavy selling tommorow (if that happens)

Yeah, all I’ve really been doing is trading the ultra long/ultra short ETF’s, staying away from individual co’s. It seems to be working for me. Mainly dealing with the ultra longs though. Getting out when I feel they’re at a high and then buying back at lower prices. SSO is good, I also like BGU for additional leverage. HXU/HXD are also good for those of us in canada