Writing section of GMAT - how serious should I take it?

FloridaGator, I wouldn’t spend too much time on it. I didn’t study at all for the writing section and got a 6.0. I typed a rough outline on the screen and just went for it. If you’re a confident writer (spelling/grammar/sentence structure, etc), then focus your attention on other areas.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I think one advantage I had is that I’m a very > fast typer (over 160 WPM) 160 WPM? WTF? I type 105 and I thought I was pretty fast. Geez.

Yeah, seriously…though 105 WPM is quite fast as well by any standard. In any case, I just wanted to point out the typing speed so that people aren’t taken aback by the length of the writing sample that I posted. You don’t need to be a fast typer to score well on the GMAT writing section, but you do need to form organized thoughts and articulate them well and you also need to practice under the time constraints. When you get to the two minute mark on the exam, that’s when you really need to be proofreading your section…you certainly don’t want to let time run out before you hit “submit.” Otherwise, you are screwed!