Yahoo! CEO Thompson has been Fired

Thread title is inaccurate. The YHOO CEO actually stepped down of his own accord and was not fired. You must be a moron.

Guys let cut the semantics here, fired or stepped down…one way or another the real catalyst here is because he lied & WAS CAUGHT…The operative being Caught. Blake stop feeding others semantical rhetorics…

CHeers all.

So you are saying that Bill Gates was fired from MSFT? Because, you know, he stepped down. Moron.

You’re right brain. I completely forgot that right before Bill Gates stepped down as CEO (he’s still chairman of the board by the way) he was accused on lying on his resume and one of MSFT’s largest shareholders (probably himself) publicly demanded his firing. Good thing he had the foundation thing to fall back on.

Exactly my point.

I know, we’re agreeing. Bill Gates was actually fired as MSFT’s CEO. “Stepping down” was just a way to let him save face. This is common knowledge, is it not?

I’m pretty sure Thompson would not have stepped down if it hadn’t been shown and widely publicized that 1) his resume listed a computer science degree that he did not have, and 2) his public statement that he did not know about the misstated resume and/or could not correct it was shown to be false.

“Stepping Down,” given the evidence here, appears to be a way to save face after being told he needs to go. Rather like a cabinet member that can “resign for personal reasons,” knowing that they will be “dismissed at the pleasure of the President” if they don’t. It’s a kindness that allows a modicum of saving face.

Not everyone who steps down or resigns for personal reasons does so because they are about to be removed (e.g. Steve Jobs, Bill Gates), but for many (such as Thompson), it’s a pretty thin veil.

please put an end to this convo…its so stupid…its embarssing really…

There are three ways to leave a company:

1. Retirement

2. Resign

3. Involuntary termination or “fired”

Scott Thompson resigned.

Does dying count as retirement or involuntary termination?