F*** FIFA

Screw them for picking Qatar over USA. Who the heck will want to party in Qatar?

FIFA would never go Japan because it’s too high tech. We all know the organization is afraid of technology. The last world cup, I was so disappointed at several horrendous calls that cost a few countries the game.

Wow, quite a slap in the face to the US. I guess that proves that FIFA has no interest in keeping soccer alive in the US.

Well, it’s pretty obvious that the international football (soccer?) community has some degree of disdain for the US, since soccer is a second tier sport here with respect to popularity. I don’t think it has to do with technology, though there was probably some leaning towards having the WC in a less developed country, i.e. give the little guys a chance. Supposedly, the lack of technology aids in soccer games is intentional - FIFA wants football to be a world sport, which means that even impoverished countries should be able to hold official matches with the same standards as everyone else. So, that means that everyone has to use referees and human judgment, rather than instant replay or other sorts of expensive technology.

Two World Cups I won’t be attending…

Is not surprised by FIFA’s decision to select Qatar. When you have an organization that is stuck in the stone age and fails to use video replay technology what do you expect?

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Screw them for picking Qatar over USA. Who the > heck will want to party in Qatar? Alcohol is allowed but you can buy and drink it only in certain areas. Average temperature is about 100 degrees. Fun times.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > FIFA wants football to be a > world sport, which means that even impoverished > countries should be able to hold official matches > with the same standards as everyone else. So, that > means that everyone has to use referees and human > judgment, rather than instant replay or other > sorts of expensive technology. But that argument doesn’t work. Technology doesn’t break any rules or give anybody an edge. It only ensures the rules are followed. Some poor country could benefit from it just as any high tech country. Just like England vs Germany, The world saw the ball go well into the goal, a couple dumb ref’s declared otherwise, and they didn’t get a point.

I celebrated when I found out it wasn’t here. As much as we were beat over the head with freaking soccer this year, I can’t even begin to imagine who bad it would have been had it been played in the US.

thommo77 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > marcus phoenix Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Screw them for picking Qatar over USA. Who the > > heck will want to party in Qatar? > > > Alcohol is allowed but you can buy and drink it > only in certain areas. Average temperature is > about 100 degrees. Fun times. And Russia is a country run by the mafia. Looks like Rio will the only world cup I will attend.

iteracom Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s not a matter of giving any country a competitive edge in games. If it was mandatory for official FIFA matches to be aided by expensive technology, then it would be very difficult to, for instance, hold regional qualifying matches in poor countries. FIFA needs to make its regulations uniform across the world. So choice one is to make technology mandatory, but make football less accessible to poor countries. Choice two is to not have the technology, but make football more accessible. No one is saying that technology would not make match outcomes fairer. Certainly, technology will help enforce the other rules. However, FIFA has decided that some of its members cannot afford more technology. So, no one gets to use technology.

ohai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > iteracom Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > It’s not a matter of giving any country a > competitive edge in games. If it was mandatory for > official FIFA matches to be aided by expensive > technology, then it would be very difficult to, > for instance, hold regional qualifying matches in > poor countries. > > FIFA needs to make its regulations uniform across > the world. So choice one is to make technology > mandatory, but make football less accessible to > poor countries. Choice two is to not have the > technology, but make football more accessible. > > No one is saying that technology would not make > match outcomes fairer. Certainly, technology will > help enforce the other rules. However, FIFA has > decided that some of its members cannot afford > more technology. So, no one gets to use > technology. If some of the members cannot afford the technology then FIFA should pay for it.

but goal line technology has been around for years, and is not expensive to implement at all. Just to have something to confirm if a goal happened or not… is not difficult.

Apparently, FIFA thinks it’s difficult. Of course, I am not familiar with the logistics of this sort of thing.

Qatar sure found a way to finally qualify for a World Cup, well done!

Mobius Striptease Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Qatar sure found a way to finally qualify for a > World Cup, well done! Yeah its called bribing.

How can Qatar possibly host the largest sporting event in the world? The country is slightly smaller than Conneceticut, and has half the population. I know they’ve got plenty of money and a long time to prepare, but the infrastructure investment (well beyond stadiums) will have to be huge.

well most likely what’s going to happen is a really low turn-out. I never totally understood it. When the US hosted the world cup, it had a record turnout. That’s better for the sport.

The tournament would be held when temperatures in Qatar typically exceed 48 degrees C (118 degrees F). FIFA highlighted the potential risk posed by the heat.

Who needs the Americans in the World Cup anyway? You’ve got Nascar and Baseball, the WC is for the rest of us.