PCP Investigation for Glancing

So I’m being investigated by the PCP for glancing. I have shoulder and neck problems from being hit by a car in 2008 which causes me to make contortions in my shoulder in neck (I can provide documentation). I believe this was interpretted as glancing. 7 proctors made reports, 1 said he observed me glancing,. 5 said I made suspicious body movements but no direct observation of cheating, and 1 said it didn’t apear I was doing anything wrong. Would love to get people’s opinion on my situation on their experiences.

7 proctors reported you??? dang.

If you have proper medical documention then you should be fine. If that doesn’t pass their requirements, probably suspended from the program for one year with voiding of exam results. http://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/conduct/Pages/candidate_sanctions.aspx

I made a point of closing my eyes hard shut whenever I looked up to stretch. I know its ridiculous, but the stories I read on here make it seem like the PCP investigations are like witch trials – there is no easy way out of it if someone claims you did something. My proctors were chill, thankfully.

So are these PCP notices still coming in this long after the exam?

I’d certainly provide the medical documentation. Would be really unfair if they voided your exam for this.

Thanks for the support. To clarify, one proctor believed he observed me glancing, the 6 others observed me immediately after to verify (or not) his claims. I’ve been exchanging extremely firm (borderline nasty but professional) emails with the PCP for about 2 weeks. I’ve known about it for about 5 weeks, responded the day I got the letter, and to be honest thought it was ridiculous and that it would resolve it self after that. Now the PCP is telling me it will take 1 - 9 months for them just to reach a determination. Obviosuly I can’t get my results or start studying to re-take or move on. I asked PCP to match up my exam with any candidate around me and I promised them they would see no patterns of matching answers because I didn’t act dishonestly. They also said I would be responsible for late registration fees if it takes them some time to get to my case, regardless of the outcome. For the money we pay for these exams they should be able to get through this more efficiently. In my mind it is borderline negligence. Needless to say I’m pretty confident, but family members have reminded me that innocent people can be found guilty too. Plus according to the CFA website, last year everyone they accused was censured, which worries me. If anyone has additional opinions or advice I would love to hear them. Greatly appreciated!

You haven’t said if you supplied them with evidence of your injuries or treatment yet in your two posts so far. Well, have you?

Yes, I have. Submitted a 5 page document from my doctor, who is actually one of the team doctors for the New England Patriots

Then I think the evidence will be supportive. I think the proctors acted in good faith too and they have to investigate. With all probability you will be cleared (as long as you have been straight with us and your answers don’t match your neighbours)… So good luck and don’t worry they are no doubt establishing exactly that.

mpcollins Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, I have. Submitted a 5 page document from my > doctor, who is actually one of the team doctors > for the New England Patriots I understand the the review board is comprised of a bunch of Jets fans, so you’re screwed.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I agree and I try to see it from the proctors point of view too. What is maddening is the snails pace the PCP works at. The 1 - 9 month time frame they gave me was probably the worst part, because even if they come back with no finding I’m being penalized by missing valuable study time.

That just gives them leeway - probably for more complicated cases in other jurisdictions etc. I think you’ll be done pretty soon. After all they need your test and the person next to you (or two if there was one each side). Then a quick check to see if there are strong patterns in answers (esp wrong ones for obvious reasons). Frustrating for you, but if you do get through - make sure to ask for a desk on your own so it doesnt happen each time…

In my madness the last few days I was contemplating suing the CFA if they didn’t give a decision in a reasonable amount of time (October?), not for the money but just to get them to move on this. I think you guys have given me some more confidence in my case and kept me from losing my mind.

by case I mean with the PCP, not actually going forward and suing them

Such a move will be very detrimental to your already weak long-term job prospects.

Why are my long term job prospects weak? Because I’m trying to defend myself, does a baseless and currently unfounded accusation by CFA destroy me? I went to a great school, work in a great firm, and also teach at a college. Not trying to sound flip, just curious.

Obviously I’m still and even more confident in my case with the PCP and I truly don’t even want to consider going down that path, however the institutes “conviction” rate is pretty high and considering my situation would it be better to take an undeserved punishment if it came to that?

Yeah, weird comment. What gives? He said he was contemplating suing at one point and not now. I would be paranoid and angry if I had just spent 6 months of study and sat a high pressure exam to be told that I might have failed on a debatable technical issue. Stress levels must already be high just waiting for results let alone this.

mpcollins Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Obviously I’m still and even more confident in my > case with the PCP and I truly don’t even want to > consider going down that path, however the > institutes “conviction” rate is pretty high and > considering my situation would it be better to > take an undeserved punishment if it came to that? I would never do that. Personally, I have too much self-respect and maybe not enough respect for the CFA. But seriously, if you have all this stuff going on, at this point it sounds like the respect, principle and process are more important than the actual outcome of the CFA results. Wouldn’t you give it all away by taking an “undeserved punishment”?