Why are people going for CAIA after passing CFA+FRM??

With my post i am not trying to disrespect any one who is aiming for CAIA,but that being said, i would really like to know what is the value addition you get by doing CAIA after CFA/FRM when there is nearly 70% or more of overlapping between CFA+FRM and CAIA,on top of that CAIA is not as prestigious in the market any where in the world as compared to CFA/FRM.

Is it because

1)CAIA gives any added skill after CFA/FRM???i doubt it completely

2)Is CAIA needed for promotion in your current job???i doubt it too

3)Do you learn any thing new or more challenging in CAIA (if you are already CFA/FRM) ???i doubt it too

4)Is CAIA needed to work in alternative investments???I doubt it too as one of my friend who is worknig in Hedge fund said “If you cannot get in alternate investment industry without CAIA,you will most likely not get in with it!!!”

5)Is it for prestige???now this arguement is baseless as CFA/FRM are far more prestigious as compared to CAIA…

According to me CAIA is useless for a CFA/FRM holder.If you want to learn something new better go for CPA/ACCA which would give you an added skill and masterly in the field of accounts/audit/tax or if you want to get a niche difficult credential then go for Actuaries but why go for CAIA ???for me CAIA is useless for CFA/FRM holder…

Only the insecure & unsuccessful in the workplace would go for an alphabet soup behind their name

1 Like

It looks like you are a beginner who is hearing stories from friends that have done things. If you haven’t truly gone through the material to authoritatively comment on “percentage overlap” or whatever silly thing you are trying to say, then you should stay focused on trying to pass Level 1 of the CFA.

This post has the tone and context of a true industry outsider, i.e., one not currently employed by the industry.

If I weren’t tired of taking exams, I’d do CAIA for the knowledge, just to see what someone who has taken time to think about what alternatives people might need has found that I don’t know from other sources.

Then, once I had it, it seems useful to advertise it, but only when applying for positions where it’s relevant.

@destroyer of world:let me give you some some knowledge about my background

1)I have already cleared FRM both exams 1 day.

2)Cleared 40% ACCA.

3)Doing full time MBA

4)Presently CFA candidate

So you must think twice about commenting stuff like"If you haven’t truly gone through the material to authoritatively comment on “percentage overlap”…".I have gone through all the materials of CFA/FRM/CAIA not (schweser alone).

Yes i am an industry outsider since i am a 23 old postgraduate student,but i know something about what market demands.I have not said any thing offensive here.I know that may be you have passed CFA/CAIA exams and are a FRM candidate,so you are in a better position than me to acknowledge that CAIA was uselss,it’s like degrading your CFA.

To answer your question…having received the CAIA charter and currently a level 2 CFA candidate, there are added things in there. Think of it as the alt inv section in CFA being expanded and explored more.

Now, you need to understand that ALL of these designations are useless if you can’t use the info to think critically and add value to your company. Also, experience trumps letters every time in many if not all aspects so it’s probable you do not know what this market demands. A CAIA charter cannot degrade the CFA designation, that actually makes no sense. It is most likely something you have heard from a friend and decided to adopt.

Also, your original post did sound offensive so I’d consider wording things a bit better in the future and being a CFA level 1 candidate counts for nothing in terms of background, it only says you know how to pay $1k online and fill out a registration form. I hope your MBA is at a top 10 US institution…because if it’s not that is actually useless in todays market. Some will go as far as saying only top 5, or top 3…but I think NYU is competitive (#10).

Rahul, I don’t need to think twice about anything. It’s clear to me that you are somebody that needs to grow up and get experience. You’re background is completely meaningless to me and has no impact on my judgment of your initial post whatsoever. Plus, your attitude is a complete non-starter for the interview process since you appear to me to be a know-it-all. Piece of advice, hide that from potential employers or you will be penalized. Nothing worse than some rascal kid who thinks he knows the answers.

Brother you took personal attacks on me 1st .My post was not about disrespecting a CAIA holder,there are many people who 1st do CAIA and then CFA and that’s fine,but doing CFA then CAIA??well thats what i have some thing against.I know many people who are CFA holders and they are of opinion that many employers “have no idea about CAIA” and i am talking about my friends who live in UK/USA/SINGAPORE/OSLO etc.If you have a counter productive arguement then “you must try to prove me wrong by stating facts about how CAIA has benifited some one who already have a CFA+FRM” I donot want to attack some1 personally rather i was curious to know about the benefits of CAIA.

1)Brother i have nothing against you,if you observe my post it was about CFA holders doing CAIA, you have done CAIA 1st and then you are marching towards CFA,its a great move as there are many who 1st clear CAIA and then go for CFA.,but getting CFA 1ST and then going for CAIA is some thing that i fail to understand.

2)My mba is not from top USA institute,its affiliated to University of Buckhingham.I do plan to do a MBA from top USA institute after having 5 years or more of experience.

3)Brother can you explain me how CAIA benefits a CFA holder?

You don’t really know what the market demands. You’re a 23 y/o student who if I remember from your past thread doesn’t have a ton (or any) real work experience. Not 2 weeks ago you were on here asking whether or not to pursue multiple certifications on your way to alphabet soup after your name, so I take this thread with a huge grain of salt.

I’m not going to get into the whole CAIA vs CFA vs whatever debate because honestly I don’t know anything about the CAIA exam. But to come on here and launch into this post the way you did with your lack of work experience and being a CFA L1 Candidate (which we all know means nothing but paid to take an exam) based on a comment from one friend bashing the CAIA isn’t really good form.

Brother i donot have experience ,alright i got it!!!I am a CFA candidate and it makes me proud.Those of you are arguing that CFA candidate means nothing on some one’s resume,i donot know but it helped me get interviews for internships.

http://www.ssei.co.in/about_us.php?id=1…check this website

The educationalist (in above mentioned website)who adviced me about lack of value of CAIA has himself gone through the CAIA programame,and i take his opinion as he is the fore runner of coaching centres for CFA/FRM programmes in my country and teaches 400-500 students in one batch.At the age of 35 he is making around $3-5 million yearly which is a hell lot of money.

He does not teach CAIA classes since he feels it does not create any value for student.

Who cares what people do? Seriously it’s not your time or money so why do you care?

And perhaps people wouldn’t think you were a snotty nosed kid disrespecting others if you didn’t call everyone brother and use excessive punctuation.

If I ever get my charter, I’ll probably go for CMT next…

Ok bro (my version of brother), just calm down a bit. You shot yourself in the foot by having a know-it-all tone without any qualifications. In any case, the point is remember to think about your posts and how they come off before you submit them. CAIA will add value in some places and be useless in other places as will the CFA and anything else. Yes CFA is more prestigious than CAIA, but that is not a reason to say it degrades the CFA or adds no value. If anything the CAIA will just get harder and more prestigious in years to come, so better to get it now, no? To say CAIA adds no value to anyone as a blanket statement is incorrect because it will depend on the candidate if he can use that information to be innovative and add value to his or her firm. Also, your “educationalist” is a scam artist. 400-500 in one batch??? In your area??? No wonder stats are what they are…44% of all candidates in your region (holy crap) but only 15% of all charterholders in your region. Sounds like a terrible teacher to me. The classes here are much smaller and personalized and our pass rate is obvi higher. I’ve never taken a class but I’ve heard good things about size and attention.

Why do you plan on getting two MBAs? I don’t think you can do that. Most MBA programs will reject you from their program when they find out you already have an MBA.

Dear i think you have all the qualifications correct??? as per your profile you are CFA L2 candidate and CAIA holder only.Atleast i have cleared FRM which is much more demanding then CAIA and about qualifications we will see who has more of them in future.

Second of all I think India ranks 2nd after USA in terms of number of indivisuals sitting for CFA exams in 2012 as per their website.It is quite natural that you are “jealous” of my ““educationalist” as he is earning much more than you ever will after being a CFA holder.

You can check websites of all leading B schools .Indivisuals are allowed to take MBA again from the IVY league colleges.

Let me show you simple maths about coaching centres in my region.

1)Say 400 students took admission for CFA l1,out of them 400*40% =160 passed L1.

2)Out of those 160,160*40%=64 students passed L2

3)That leaves only 64 students taking coaching for L3.

and he charges $700 per student per levels of CFA,so you can estimate his earnings.

On top of that my educationalist even gives coaching for CA(indian version of cpa),and FRM.He is 1 man army highly respected and is smart enough to exploit the demand supply gap.

The above calculations are only for 1 city in the country and the tutor has 50 centres in India,so you can keep guessing his earnings.

1.) Learn how to spell Individual…it is not spelled “indivisual”. I assume this is not a typo because you did it several times in your posts.

2.) What is the point of getting your MBA from your Indian University if you plan on doing it all over again at a US Uni? I really don’t think most schools would allow you to do a second MBA. Really, don’t waste your time.

3.) Life is not about collecting degrees, diplomas and designations. It is what you do with the knowledge you acquire that matters. This is not meant to be racist or ethnocentric at all, but why is it that Indians and other Asian cultures are so focused on collecting degrees & designations. I always see these reports about Asians killing themselves over college entrance exams but then you never see of them achieving the same success as American developers/entrepreneurs/business people. Perhaps examine your outlook, Bro. Experience always trumps education.