In my 4th attempt, I finally aced it

Anyone remember me??? you don’t need to… here is the link to my post last year http://www.analystforum.com/forums/cfa-forums/cfa-level-ii-forum/91324038

After suffering what I will call ‘the biggest challenge of my life’, ‘when darkness befell me’… I finally can smile and enjoy life like I used to before first attempt of CFA Level II in June 2011)

In my post last year, you will note that I stated how much I have been accorded the ‘genius’ title by my colleagues at work and in schools. Needless to say, I am a person who has attained a GPA of 720 in GMAT and has received numerous awards for doing well in exams.

Last year, I said that June 2013 CFA Level II exam was the easiest I have ever sat for; it remains so. I actually went for the retabulation last year, but like many have warned others, it’s a waste of time; I received an email two weeks later stating that ‘CFA Institute has retabulated your score and your score remain as it is’. It didn’t tell much.

For those who don’t know what I am talking about, see highlights below:-

June 2011: Band 10 >70: FRA, Ethics, Eco, Alter, Corp Fi 50-70: Equit, QM, PM <50: FI, Deri

June 2012: Band 10 >70: FRA, Ethics, Alter, Corp Fin, Econ 50-70: FInc, QM <50: Equit, PM, Deri

June 2013: Band 9 >70: FRA, Corp Fin, Ethics, EQuit, Econ 50-70: QM <50: Deriv, FI, Altern, PM

I registered for June 2014 CFA Level II in October 2013, at that time my wife had realized she was pregnant with our second baby. When we went to see the gynae/obs in Dec 2013, a scan was done and an expected delivery date was given as 7th of June 2014. It was the craziest thing I have ever heard. I wondered if I was to make it to the exam room come June…I made it though… Did I prepare more than I prepared the past 3 years exams??? NO… here is why;

1. Because I thought I won’t have a chance to sit for the paper. After all, being there when your baby is born is the best gift you can give them.

2. I thought I could do the exam any time. My 3 years in Level II had made me a master of the concepts. I am always honest when I say that I don’t know why I failed in 2011, 2012, and 2013.

I decided that I was gonna concentrate on reading questions. I therefore printed all the mock papers that I had; starting from 2010 to 2014. I did each of those mocks 5 times, each time spending hours to read the answers with the carefulness of a good surgeon. I then went through the EOC questions in the CFAI curriculum (but only the multiple choice questions). I did this until I got tired of the questions.

By 5th June 2014, I still wasn’t sure I should go to the exam room on 7th. I always hoped the obs would change the expected delivery date but it never happened. Like she had in the days and months prior to the exam, my wife encouraged me to go do the paper. She would promise she was gonna be fine; mind you, we are expats in the US, we didn’t have a relative to stay with our other kid (now 2.4 years) but for a good a neighbor who took care of him. On 6th 7pm ET, my wife told she didn’t think she was ready to deliver since she had not felt or seen a sign; she told me we should take advantage of that - and so I took advantage of it. I barely slept on the night of 6th.

As early as 4am on 7th, I took a taxi to go to Manhattan for the exam; I couldn’t stomach driving-I don’t know, I was scared - failures in the CFA Level II exam had drawn out all the exam-confidence I have ever had in my education life. I however got to the exam centre in good time, all the time I thought of my wife and how she’s gonna get our daughter in a hospital where there is no relatives of ours.

About the delivery; my wife went into labor upon my arrival from the exam and on the night of 7th June, we welcomed our daughter into the world. It was my 48 hours without sleep.

To cut the story short, I did the exam and although I saw it harder than the prior year’s, I thought I had a chance of passing because Ethics, FRA, Eqty, CF, QM, Econ, and Der was a cup of tea. AI and PM was a monster that I tackled slowly trying to remember every detail of some concepts I have learnt elsewhere in my education life. Early days after the exam, I thought I am gonna pass but with each day passing, I forgot what the exam questions were, many peeps posted in AF that the exam was tricky and some people would fail for ignoring some things; I then started feeling like it’s gonna be like 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Well, today I received one of the best emails I have ever read… passing with >70 in all subjects.

My word to those who failed this time and the years before: You started it, you passed Level I, you can pass Level II and it’s your obligation to finish it… do it, do it because you will pass. I once met an MD of Credit Suisse New York (I say an MD because the structure of Credit Suisse requires several MDs) who told me that he wished he resiliently sat for the exams after failing CFA Level I twice in 1992 and 1993. His words plus the fact that I didn’t wanna tell my son one day, that I failed 3 times then gave up, made me do this.

Many folks here in AF encouraged me after my post last year and for that I am grateful; some of you guys have a golden heart… Blessings to you all.

Buddies, you will finally ace this thing… I now accept, it’s a monster but a monster that can be taken down.

+1

Your story is very inspiring especially with all the personal happenings in your life for the 2014 test. I hope you ace Level 3 should you choose to take it next year and congratulations on the new baby daughter!

you made it Chizi you made it. Get ready for models and bottles.

Thanks Phallacy, I will go for it next year. This time I am gonna use all resources including Schewer… I am known to be good in demonstrating my understanding rather than signalling my understanding… if you know what I mean; Level 3 has a written test which is advantageous to me as I am good in demonstrating…

Congrats! Well done on sticking with it.

CONGRATS!! On the exam and the new addition!

Congrats on passing. 2 points though

1. 720 on gmat is not that impressive, I wouldn’t throw it around as a way of making a point

2. brace for L3… it’s even harder

Great story. My wife & I had our second child, sold a house, bought a house (&moved) & I was in tax season while preparing for lvl 2 & it was a nightmare for me. Didn’t give up & aced it. Great job man. Best of luck on lvl 3!

Sounds familiar. Except I did largely the same thing between taking L1 in December and L2 in June. I didn’t ace it, but I got the opportunity to take it again the next year.

listen to the jabroni Itera, he is the real deal Holyfield.

Thanks all,

Chris 400… conngrats to you too

itera, I think 720 is a pretty score given that lot of GMAT takers don’t hit 600 on first attempt… In fact, 720 has taken peeps to Harvard for an MBA…

Chizi you deserve a salute! You are an inspiration!

Extremly glad you bombed it!

Hope I will beat that beast too!!!

Keep rocking!!

Chizi, congrats! You must be felling awesome. You deserve it.

My story is not as colorful as yours. I agree 100% on killing the mocks. Here it goes:

There is something about mocks………

In June 2001 I took CFA Level I. Having study with another friend, and doing a good chunk of exercises, we had an “easy test” and passed (1st try).

In 2002, feeling overconfident and without the same discipline I relaxed. Studied less and did even less exercises: failed. My friend passed.

In 2003, enrolled and just appeared at the exam for a sure fail.

In 2005, did a 3 month course. Payed attention in classes, but lacked the energy for practicing. Failed

Enough of CFA level II !!!

Arrives 2014, why not give another chance?

This time with a different strategy: mock till you drop (advice from this forum).

I have read the material in a light manner. Read the summaries. Did some (40% maybe) of EOCs. Bought the 11th hour guide from Elan (great) and Secret Sauce from Schweser (good).

The real difference: I did 7 mocks (CFAI and Schweser), score ranging from 59% to 74%. I advise you to start by mid April. One per weekend. After you finish, review thoroughly, even the ones you got it right. In the beginning we guess a lot.

You will start to see some pattern. Translations, Swap calculation, Residual Income. You have to master those exercises.

What is worse? Reading an exercise that you don`t have any clue on how to tackle it or doing 80% of it and in the end not knowing how to answer it correctly? Either way you get a zero. Only with practice you can get it right. Reading the answer DOES NOT work. It makes sense, it is logical, it is obvious but when you are alone with the test it just does not happen. I suspect you know the feeling. Practice!

I`ve used Analyst Forum as a great tool to clarify issues that I was not getting by. Do not arrive here to see question from others. There are zillions. You will get anxious and depressed for knowing so “little”.

What I have learnt:

-Ethics appear in every level, do not overlook it

-Item sets questions are not an issue (after a while is pretty natural)

-Level II is different from level I (give more commitment)

-Level II is doable (give more commitment…)

Again, do the mocks! Why do you think they exist? There are many exams that you dont have this tool. Only a Suggested Reading list and thats it.

I`ve seen some people one week before the exam saying they were “not ready for a mock”. No one will ever be. Everyone will always arrive at the exam wanting another 10 days, 2 months, 10 months……

There is no reason for not knowing where you stand. It is ridiculous!

Scenario analysis – Taking your first mock:

Scoring 45% - Take a final sprint, you need another 20 right questions. You can do it. Focus on important parts of the curriculum that you are struggling

Scoring 65% - You are above the presumed MSR (63%). Polish your knowledge. Do not screw it.

Scoring 85% - Get a life!

The earlier you start the better. I suggest mid-April.

Folks, take a deep breath and attack the beast. Ive met dozens of people who had passed level I and have never completed the CFA program. Ive have yet to meet anyone who had passed level II and have not become a CFA charterholder. This is the turning point.

—————————————————

How NOT to pass even though you study 300+ hours:

Read a lot and don`t do any exercise……

—————————————————-

The day after the exam, you will see people at this forum talking about all the “hidden traps” that they saw at the exam. It is a fetish since we cannot talk about the exam. Relax, the exam is pretty much the same as mocks. By that time, you should already know the traps, mines, jokes, whatever. I left the exam feeling awesome (guessing I`ve done around 75%). Got less confident when I saw the posts here. Final results: passed with 70+ in Equity and FRA and 4 others topics….

Thank you for the story, it was very inspiring. As a leader of my group at a bulge bracket it’s embarrassing to tell people I failed. Luckily it’s level 2, so people expect failure.

I will pick myself up and pass the beast next year.

Congratulations Chizi ! Level II is tough but you made it. Start Level III as soon as you can. Morning part needs lot of practice.

Negra, yours is an inspirational story too… mocks was so much helpful. I wish you thevery best in Level III next year.

Thanks everybody for your congratulations messages…

CONGRATS. A MONSTER THAT WE COULD TAKE IT DOWN :wink:

Congrats Chizi and Negra--------------you guys are inspirational---------

Congrats Chizi and Negra!

Take a bow! That resilience. Stop Not till the goal is reached!

Inspirational stuff!