Who is selling?

I dumped all my stocks on Friday.

More than doubled my money on those investments, no need to be greedy. Seemed like a good time to get out, stand back, and assess the situation. Frankly the world looks like one big cluster f@#$ right now. No idea where to park the cash, other than cash.

I’ve been 50/50 long short for about a month. Comfortable there for a bit longer.

Nice, I half thought about shorting the S&P on Friday…but I’m not much of a shorting type of guy.

Business as usual here. I’ve made money through the volatility. Longs are down but shorts are down a whole lot more. I hope we have some real panic in the market and all the low quality stocks get blown out so I can cover and get into some discounted quality names.

Ahh yeah, I loves me some panic.

Just looked at VIX, at a one year high today.

This thread belongs in the “Investments” forum.

Oh, there is an investments forum now!

Clearly I don’t keep up to date on the tech enhancements happening on AF.

I’ve been running a low net portfolio all year, but the difference this time is that I’m pressing many of my shorts while being very cautious about adding to any longs. I am definitely a net seller in this environment, especially companies that may be on the wrong side of an industry cycle or retailers that have a lot of leverage.

On the long side, there will be many small cap names that get totally washed out and at some point it wlil be like picking up gold nuggets on the sidewalk, but things are not cheap enough yet fom a risk/reward perspective.

This is sarcasm, I hope. The Investments forum has been up for several years by now.

I’m adding as opportunities present themselves in small caps

went from 70% fixed 1 month ago to 35% fixed as of today. i’m only willing to throw money at Canada right now, being down ~11% from its highs. i wouldn’t even look at the U.S. until the SPY falls another 4-5%. probably wouldn’t go less than 35% fixed unless we see a 30-40% decline.

I don’t market time, but I have added/trimmed on weakness/strength outside of retirement assets. In my 401k, I set it and forget it. My asset allocation has a logic behind it and unless my risk tolerance has changed there is no reason I would alter it.

I’m holding, riding this joant and pumping in some more bi-monthly…dollar cost averaging being what it is. I am looking at some new small cap names though…and will execute once valuations hit what I want them too. Have not historically been in the shorting game though.

Do you guys (outside of bro) actually short, or do you go long short ETFs?

I short individual securities for my fund but don’t short any individual securities in my P.A., only ETF’s

My short position (50% of my portfolio) is a long position in RWM. I short individual names from time to time (or buy puts), but rarely. The last time I did that was Sino-Forest.

hey numi,

hows the correlation between the short etfs and the market, any hidden costs?

The problem with cashing out of a bull market after 5 years is that it may turn out to be a 20 year bull market. Buy and hold is my mantra.

^Agreed. An investor is his own biggest obsticle to sucessful investment returns. None of us can consistantly time the markets and the majority will be wrong more often than they are right.

Sold some of my European stocks to move into US stocks as soon as they reach “nice valuation land”. I do not think there will be an enormous crash.

Shift and hold (in reference to Wendy’s post)