'Frankenstorm' Sandy - Eye witness reports please

Is this thing really that bad (i.e. is this another Katrina but in NYC)? Sounds pretty serious on the news here with reports of 375,000 New Yorkers being evacuated. Or is this just the media making a huge deal out of a big rainstorm?

Are the exchanges shut because of this, are people still getting around on foot, are people driving, is anyone going to work or does everyone just have the day(s) off?

Anybody finding any entertainment value or enjoyment out of this storm? i.e. nice to just chill in a warm high-rise apartment and watch the storm unfold.

http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/this-is-serious-new-york-evacuated–as-frankenstorm–sandy-bears-down-20121029-28e1a.html

There is a storm on the horizon. A time of hardship and pain. The battle has been won, but the war against machines rages on…

Are you quoating Meat Loaf?

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/meat-loaf-leaves-a-bad-taste-again-20121029-28e4d.html

I’m kicking it up in Harlem. Ain’t no thang son.

Not every hurricane is a Katrina. It’s just big because we have a nor’easter storm slamming in from the west at the same time. We’ll get a lot of wind and rain. We may lose power in NYC and certainly elsewhere. Most likely it will be as bad as the big blizzards we sometimes get but slightly more inconvenient because we’re not used to how you deal with this particular kind of weather event.

just make sure you have lots of drinking water. you can survive 3 weeks on water.

no water for just 3 days means your about dead.

I live an avenue away from the Hudson River, and so far it’s pretty quiet. Eerily quiet though; I even heard people cheering when the Giants won(and I’m talking about the MLB game,so it was extra weird to hear people cheering in NYC). Just lit a cigarette on the back patio without any trouble. Hopefully it will be a non-event if/when it lands. (edit - the NYSE is actually going to be closed) That’s rare.

Err… NYSE is closed on Monday. I wonder how this affects people outside NY… Do I need to go to work or not…

^They say it might still be closed on Tuesday now(I hope to hell it’s not), that’s two days of unwarranted theta decay on my November expiries. I can actually hear the wind picking up now. And the wind… cries… mary…

Are people still driving and walking around the streets or is everyone bunkered down sort of thing?

I hope Sandy takes out the entire cast of Jersey Shore.

^Respect.

My office is closed at least the next two days and I’m “working” from home. Went out for some McDonalds this morning and Jersey City is just completely dead. Barely anyone’s out. There’s practically no rain, but some modest wind. Saw some Sandy paths and they look like the worst will swing around NYC. Gut says completely overrated.

Hurricane Sandy hurricane party is going to wreck the East Coast.

I mean… most likely it won’t be life threatening in NY… but it’s worth taking precautions even if there’s a 5% chance of danger…

It’s going to be very overrated. Expect some damage (usual things) and power outages for a day or two through rural areas and plenty of ratings driven sensationalist coverage. I remember one clip from years ago of a reporter in a canoe in the middle of a street talking about how crazy some flood was and in the background you can see a guy standing in the water that’s barely ankle dep giving the reporter a puzzled stare.

One thing that’s often missed is that at landfall, Katrina was rated a 3 which isn’t necessarily a huge storm. So potential damage requires a well placed mid sized or greater storm and an area with infrastructure that may be overwhelmed with a high concentration of people. So on some level, the fact that it’s coming at NYC is an issue (I remember the NYC blackout in the summer of 2003 where water sold for $20 a bottle) but overall, I think this one’s going to be relatively benign as NYC is pretty sheltered from the sea and preparations have already been made throughout most of the NE.

I do want to add that as we enter 11/2012, the Mayans are looking suspiciously correct!

+1

I DO wish I was in NYC for that. Hurricane’s all night. You could jokingly use so many pickup lines based on the whole “this may be our last night on earth” premise.

Remember that it is going to be a big thing for the region, but it is not necessarily a disaster for NY because no one has said that NYC is going to take a direct hit. In terms of storm surge, we’re still many hours away from the peak of anything, and Sandy has already topped it in Battery Park, and it’s just going to get stronger for a while.

Sandy is heading inland, whereas Irene turned east and pretty much went out to sea. Plus there is a Nor’easter coming in from the west at the same time. So it’s going to be bad somewhere, and the disaster agencies are going to have to respond to it. From their point of view, they are doing the right things to get people ready, and I agree.

So don’t think “it’s real” or “it’s not real” depending on what happens in NYC. It looks like it’s not going to be that bad here in NYC, but it is a good idea not to be out and about in these conditions.

Guess I won’t be getting my Schweser books on time this week. These wind gusts are already pretty bad and already hear a lot of sirens. They say it lands at midnight…

“I’m scared Poncho.” “Bullshit. You ain’t afraid of no man.” “There’s something out there waiting for us, and it ain’t no man.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDKrPdp2QM

/ thread