Can men and women be friends?

I was in a heated debate with a few people recently, some of whom I have only met a few times but from what I heard from them, I don’t really like them already…

So the debate started when some guy mentioned “men would never be friends with women they are not attracted to”, then it quickly became an argument of “men and women can never be just friends”.

From what I’ve heard, most guys (and a few girls) believe, men and women only get close to each other because there is an attraction of more than just friends. Meaning, there is no point for a guy to get to know a girl further if he is not interested more from her. And similar is true for girls, they would meet male friends but unless they are somewhat attracted to them, they would remain acquintances, coworkers, classmates, professional contacts, etc.

The argument gets down to, “would you ask a friend of opposite sex out, who is not a love/ sex interest, to just chat or chill?”

NANA

EDIT: My side of the debate is that “Yes, men and women can be good friends”, in fact, i have plenty of close male friends!!

No

Watch “When Harry Met Sally” and get back to us.

bchad will say yes, but the answer is no. Unless she’s really ugly then maybe. Otherwise sexual tension will eventually cause things to get complicated, even if it’s completely one-sided.

In movies and tv shows, OF COURSE there is always an attraction, i mean we don’t have to look far, just think “Friends”. They need it to create drama and plots…

Now in reality, do you have any good female friends?

http://www.laddertheory.com/

SFW

yes, that’s another point, if there is no physical attraction (the girl is ugly in this case), the guy wouldn’t even get to know her in the first place to become friends to start with.

so they will just remain coworkers, if they work together, or classmates if they go to the same class…

Yes. And I do. It also comes down to, “I don’t want to sleep with you and you don’t want to sleep with me, yet you’re fun to party with.”

That’s exactly my point, so you are on my side!

yay, we should have a poll function!

:slight_smile:

I suppose theoretically if there is mutual interest but from my experience men and women differ so much, the only link between the two is the sexual attraction. Sexual attraction is the only reason i speak to women wheni dont have to and i can confirm with confidence it’s the only reason they speak to me because i know they have nothing in common.

In short, i must take the opposing side and conclude, no.

If I want to hang out with a girl without the possibility of sex, I’ll just hang out with my wife.

Don’t you have classmates you grew up with and became close friends?

Or people you worked with in the past that are so compatible even if you don’t work with each other anymore you keep contact?

How about female friends of your friends or girlfriend? or family friends?

Everyone you meet is either male or female, so i find it difficult to believe so many people would only have same gender friends.

no

Some people are one dimensional. How many in here have friends only of the same race? Gender isn’t too far off.

Female friends make great wingmen. (or is it wingwomen?)

Sure they can. I like having female friends whom I have no interest in pursuing anything futher with.

Troof! It’s a acknowledgement of approval when you’re mingling with new females.

Here’s a question, how many of you would still remain friends with your significant other (gf, wife, mistress ect) if there was no sexual attraction? I understand a large part of a relationship is shared interest but the sexual attraction is the glue.

OOC - how old are you? I’m assuming you’re not married, nor have you ever been.

When you’re 22 and trying to bang as many women as possible, then this is more or less true.

When you’re in your mid-30’s, have been married for six years, and have two kids, then shared interest is the most crucial part of your relationship. Sexual attraction is nice, but it’s definitely just icing on the cake.

Post of the year.