Squats

They suck.

I did them for the first time in a long time yesterday.

Today, I hurt.

Whatever. Shake Weight is the best.

I thought squats made your azz big, no?

Do front squats greenie, great for the core too.

^Is a front squat where you hold the bar in front of your neck instead of behind it?

How is it different from a “regular” one? Does it work different muscles or something?

Yes bar in front on shoulders. Forces you to stay under the bar better and engage your core. Search it on YouTube. Make sure you go light at first until you get the technique.

Front shoulders is harder, as it involves more of the smaller muscles. But I disagree, you should be doing “back” squats, since you’re a beginner and need to focus on the larger muscles.

@Palantir - probably true.

Remember, I’m not trying to look like John Cena or compete in some kind of competition. I just need to shed pounds off my fat azz.

Don’t be the guy doing back squats on the smith machine. Might as well spend your time on a stationary bike going 5 mph while texting. Complete waste of time. You’d get more out of front squatting the bar than throwing 4 45s on the smith machine.

I don’t use it. I don’t use any machines. I think you get a much better workout with free weights than with machines.

And I like to use dumbbells more than barbells. Less dangerous, and you have to work more muscles. But it’s kinda hard to squat with dumbbells, or at least it’s hard to get the same workout in, IMHO.

back issues is exactly why you need to drop the smith machine. Go light enough to where you maintain good technique and build up from there-your back issues will be gone in a month.

Squats are crucial. I neglected them for a few years when I wasn’t skiing. When I got back into skiing, I was f’in dying after like an hour.

Yep, start light. When my buddy was on the uni’s football team he wasn’t even allowed to put weight on the bar for 6 weeks just to ensure they get the right form.

Simple squat cues, just repeat this mantra:

1. Feet slightly wider than hip width.

2. Tight core (both abs and back).

3. Cheast up, shoulders back, weight on heels.

4. Send hips back while bending the knees.

5. Out of the bottom, knees track out over the toes (don’t cave in) weight on heels.

6. Rise to full extension and repeat.

If you follow this it will correct most of the flaws I see in people’s squat form. I have it memorized.

Deadlifts > squats. Both in time make 90% of pants fit like skinny jeans. It’s a huge downside unless you’re a hipster.

How much do you guys squat?

As someone that would rather hit the bike than weights (though I’m learning as I get older, I need weights to gain/maintain strength, whereas before I didn’t), if I’m trying to stress the quads, I’ll go hammer short hill repeats in a bigger gear than normal. Advantage is it’s cardio too, and my calfs are absurdly huge for my otherwise compact frame (quads are pretty strong too).

Parking structures work great for cardio, run up the steps, then down the ramps.

I am pretty weak - 1X for reps

That’s what is peculiar about the neurons implants…when I read the title of the post I for the most part thought of Serena Williams. I remember writing random shit about doing Squats with Serena Williams on you back. That’s all.