Squats

The only thing a smith machine is good for is to lean against to catch your breath after a set of squats in the squat rack.

Saying deadlifts>squats is like saying brain>heart. They are both equally important in their own way.

455lbs (ass to grass) at a competition bodyweight of 181lbs (of solid Grade A USDA-approved beef).

^ where can i get some 1-ad i miss that stuff?

what do you cut with

Deadlifts and squats are phenomenal exercises when done right. They work all the major muscle groups. However, these two exercises require excellent technique so it is best to go light before attempting big lifts or you risk serious injury to your back. There are plenty of videos on youtube about how to squat and how to deadlift correctly.

Badass, powerlifter? Geared up or raw?

I haven’t tested 1 rep in a while, but I 5 rep at around 275. I’m on a bit of a cardio bias now to get faster on my bike.

If you are a fattie and you are doing some air/body weight squats, can you claim to squat 300lbs?

Yeah, I’m a raw powerlifter. Although I’m thinking about putting that on hold for a little while and trying my hand in bodybuilding, since my body is more suited for that (small bone structure, small waist, etc.)

I don’t know, I don’t do prohormones (or real hormones).

What do I cut with? Heavy weights, high protein, and low carbs. Works every time.

This is true. However, for every YouTube video about how to squat and deadlift correctly, there are two YouTube videos attempting instruction by people that have no idea what the hell they’re doing.

How many grams of carbs do you eat in cutting stage?

Good cues, though #4 depends on whether you’re squatting high-bar (weightlifting (Oly) style) or low-bar (powerlifting style) - knee-break vs. hip-break. But, all in all, excellent set of cues for a novice.

Dude who asked about using the smith if you’ve got back issues - try your hand at front squats. They’re far more friendly on the lower back, but check your ego at the door.

I’d add - go down to (or ideally, below) parallel, even if it means reducing the weight!

I’ve experimented with several different low-carb approaches. I’ve found that zero/extremely low carbs work best for pure fat loss, however, it also makes you lose the most strength and feel the most like crap. Carb cycling (e.g. zero/low carb on off days, moderate carb on upper body days, high carb on lower body days) is probably my favorite. Although the fat loss isn’t as fast, it allows you to keep your strength levels up, and also makes your muscles feel fuller (because they actually are full of glycogen and you don’t have that “flat” look that zero carbs can bring).

But no matter which approach you choose, make sure to keep your dietary fat high as well as (oviously) your protein. Cheat meals may also have a benefit, both psychologically and physiologically.

But to answer your question, I generally consider “low” to be <50. moderate to be ~100-200, and high to be >250.

Good advice,

cgottuso8190.

I’d also like to add that for someone who has lower back issues, single leg squats (Bulgarian split squats, rear foot elevated split squats, or whatever you want to call them) are your best friend, although everyone should be doing those anyway. It is the worst exercise ever, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Great thanks. I have looked at carb cycling. This seems to be a good way to lose fat without losing strength. Whenever I go really low carb I feel like crap and do not feel like lifting at all.

I have to respectfully disagree with the last part… I know when I do them I have to maintain a balance between heel and ball. When I put all the wieght on my heels I instantly cramp up my toes. Not sure if that’s another mistake somewhere else, but putting some weight on the toes cleared that problem up easy.

But about deadlifts - whats the proper form? I generally push up with legs (ass out) then stand upright more or less, but the lower back feels that - can’t tell if its burning muscle or f**king things up…

Yeah, everything is more nuanced in reality, but these are simple cues for someone who is relatively untrained. I’ve trained dozens of them. The tendency is always to roll up onto their toes. Nobody ever rocks back so far on their heels that they fall over. And, if they did fall backwards at least they’re on top of the weight.

For traditional deadlifts (no RDLs or other stuff), this is what I use for process and cues:

Setup

• center of feet under the bar

• bend over and grab the bar without moving it

• bend knees until shins touch the bar

• pull chest up

Tension

• deep breath and hold it

• pull up on the bar

• squeeze

Lift

• open knees while keeping the same back angle

• then open hips

• stand up to full extension

• bar stays in contact with legs the whole way up

• reverse the movement to put the weight down

It’s a complicated movement with lots of variation, but if you have to cue it out I think this is a good way to do it. Rippetoe has a similar cue system, but some variations.

For squats there are 3 important rules

1. Knees should never pass toes

2. Knees should never cave in

3. You need to break parallel to activate glutes

[quote=“brain_wash_your_face”]

Similar to the cues I use, but to discourage a heavy emphasis on the lower back, I add “F*** the bar.” This cue encourages glute activation to lift the weight as you would hump a bar in front of you by thrusting (squeezing the glutes), not by extending your back.