Black History Month Fail!

It really is sad. I thought this was a wonderful commercial celebrating enriched culture. Sadly the zips on Twitter think to be 'muriKKKan, you gotta be a white right wing kkkent gun toting christian who has zero tolerance for diversity.

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post/75447787843/speak-english-racist-revolt-as-coca-cola-airs

I recently read that General Mills had to lock the youtube comments on this commercial due to rampant racist rants!

http://verilyprime.hubpages.com/hub/Racism-Directed-At-General-Mills-For-Its-Cheerios-AD-Featuring-An-Interracial-Couple-In-Its-Commercial

It’s just sad. I keep trying to convince myself that America is post rascism. Sadly we have a long long way to go.

Is there a reason that interracial couples of negro and caucasian are predominately negro men and caucasian women? It seems very rare to see a white man choose a black woman. Is there a social message here? Why aren’t negro women desirable to white men, or to the black men that choose the white women.

Maybe they don’t like white guys? I dated a black girl for a couple months one spring and she dumped me and left town. I guess I left an impression.

I actually watched super bowl with a Haitian guy/white girl couple and they brought up the point that advertisers use interacial kids in commercials all the time, but as soon as you show the couple that produced them people flip out.

The Coke commercial (where they sang “America The Beautiful”) is garnering particular attention in CvM’s first link. Some of the real treasures:

"That coke commercial sucked. Mexicans, terrorists, jews, and niggers are not “American.” "

“I feel un-American for drinking Coke today. I took an oath to defend this country. Hos is a song to our nation sang in different languages?” --from a guy in uniform, FTR

“You can’t sing this song if you don’t speak English.”

“…Coke likes to sing an AMERICAN song in the terrorist’s language. Way to go coke. You can leave America.”

“it’s America and the USA language is English…not all this foreign shit”

“To quote an American patriot: we speak english in this country” (What patriot was that?)

“F you coke the national anthem wasn’t made for your gook and Mexican talking. STFU!!!”

wow

Just sad.

• Abraham Lincoln

If you’re a human being you might say to yourself “that was a decent commercial, what’s the big deal?” But if you’re a vile monster void of emotion and compassion you might have realized that America the Beautiful was sung in MULTIPLE LANGUAGES. DEAR GOD, NO. Some people were pissed it was not sung in ENGLISH.

I didn’t notice the race thing with the cheerios commerical, but I actually thought it was a bit sexist. It’s was weird how the dad had to explain it to the girl while the wife was off doing dishes in the back or whatever.

While there are good and bad ways to make a point, I do think it is reasonable to encourage people to learn the primary language of the country where they live. If I had to move to Portugal, learning Portuguese would be the first thing I would do. In the US, mastering English will lead to higher standards of living for ESL residents and better educational attainment for their kids.

If you look at elementary school rankings, there are separate statistics for English speaking kids and non-English speaking kids. Addressing the language disparity is the first step to providing a better future for these kids. Why insist on hanging onto your native culture if it is giving you a disadvantage in life? When in law school, my wife volunteered for a clinic that provided asylum to non-English speaking immigrants. Because these people only spoke their native dialects, they were unaware of their legal rights and were able to find only menial employment. Learning English would have dramatically improved their lives.

One issue in the US is that wealth disparity is being increasingly addressed through distributive means, rather than by addressing the underlying causes of the problem.

Okcupid did a whole analysis comparing the response rates between men/women based on race and they found that black women had the worst response rates of any gender and race.

Someone needs to tell the joke from boondock saints.

^ where do they go now?

It’s not a hard-fast rule, but the most black women I’ve known are much more interested in finding a black man than the black men are with respect to black women.

On another topic, why is February Black History month? You’d think that - given the history of giving African Americans a raw deal - giving them the shortest month in the year to celebrate Black history is just another slap in the face. It’s like saying: “We’ll remember your contributions to our history for a month, but please, can it be the shortest month possible???”

[video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHXwY1_n_cY]

The problem is that black women tend to be more educated than black men and do not get involved in crime or other problems. As a result, eligible black men become a coveted commodity among black women.

Racism will continue to exist as long as we have more than one race in the world. Just like sexism…

But the outcry wasn’t mainly directed at blacks. I say Coke did it on purpose.

Mfkin’ word! I’m going to write to my man Obama right now!!! I’m deeply offended at this!

I will never get this ‘______ history month’ or ‘_____ awareness month’ nonsense

Don’t start this crap if you still expect us to respect African Americans from Mar thru Jan or worry about Breast Cancer from Nov thru Sep. Am I right?