MDs standing around next to me talking about $40k school for their kids

Sigh.

Edit: This is high school / middle school not college.

It starts at private pre-k actually. I can’t phantom paying that much for the kindergarten even if I could afford it

Welcome to NYC, 40k per kid is a going rate for private in Manhattan, probably even more

my MD said he had 7 interviews to get his 2yr old into some elite preschool. and it costs as much as Harvard per yr. on a two year old.

These people need to be taxed more. It will protect them from making nonsense decisions.

An MD gripping about 40k, hacksaw.

In dis economy!?!?!?

A top of the line prep school here is ~12-15k. Such a relative bargain!

Lol, been waiting 4 years for the right time to use that.

hope you’re kidding

That sounds comical. :slight_smile:

I think creating things that rich people HAVE to buy for thier children is an excellent form of taxation.

Remember folks, your lot in life in only the result of your own efforts, not the $40k school daddy put you in. The public school kids in poor areas have equal opportunity. They should just work harder.

This is wrong though. Some things in life are so competitive that you can’t just work harder – there simply aren’t enough hours in the day.

It’s okay to say it: even in the US, the playing field isn’t level.

It’s not just NYC. My nephew went to a $40k+ /year from 5th grade through HS in southern NJ.

That’s absolutely incorrect. In some places, the public schools really suck. For example, here in Kansas City, MO the public schools are not accredited. Seniors still need to get their GED if they want to go to college - which most of them don’t anyway. So, if you have kids and live on the MO side of KC you have to pay for private school. You’re looking at anywhere between $7k to $18k for kindergarten per kid.

Granted, KC has particularly bad public schools, but there are plenty of other cities with major public school problems that force kids into private school.

So, no, what your daddy does for you is extremely important.

Man, I gues some people don’t get my sarcasm on a Monday morning. In any event, I agree with both bro and STL. It scares me that my sarcastic comment could be considered serious by some Americans.

And that is absolutely downright amazing that state schools are unaccredited and you need a GED in MO.

Perhaps some education tax is needed on the $40k school elite so that regular dudes can get a basic education.

+1 for sarcasm then

About half of the kids that go to those school get into an ivy league school, plus your kids will get to establish contacts with wealthy and powerful people. Considering this and the high cost of taxes in neighborhoods with good schools, a cost that you’ll pay whether you have kids in school or not, you can start to see why the schools can charge this.

This sentence is sooo sarcastic.