Cooking

It has now come to my attention that i need to cook whatever i’m eating. I asked around an every guy who has to do the same hires a cook. All the girls say it takes 1 HOUR A DAY to cook said meal.

I learnt to cook ready made noodles, it takes 2 min but it’s supposed to be unhealthy because of the maize that gets deposited in your stomach. I learnt to fry frozen sausages for breakfast etc and cook scrambled egg…takes about 15 min but the frozen meat apparently has preservatives.

So i have to cook one more meal per day and i bought a cook book, but does it really take an hour to cook? How do you guys cook your meals?

I love to cook.

Some meals take 15 minutes; others take three hours (or more).

It depends on what you like.

3 hours…3 hours?

Do you have to sit in front of the stove and wait or can you put a timer and come back later.

The one’s that take 15 min are frozen? You aren’t worried about preservatives?

Dude… You want 24hr slow cooked beef rib? Guess how long that takes?

You want beef and ale stew? That takes 3hrs in the oven…but normally you can just throw everything in the pot and wait for 3hrs, revise your CFA, go for a walk, get laid or whatever. You can come back to your house smelling good! And beef that falls off the bone!!!

You want pasta with ketchup and cheddar? That takes 10mins…

It depends how fast you are in the kitchen and how good you are at cooking and mutlitasking. Me…? I’m an excellent cook, it’s my passion and what i live for…

1 peice of advice; buy one 8 inch sharp knife, a good expensive one. It will save you time in the kitchen!

Generally, I can make sushi start to finish in 30 minutes. And around 20 minutes of that is waiting for things to finish cooking (rice, shrimp tempura,etc). This is assuming you have the sauces pre-made or bought them

In 30 minutes??? Are you sure? I never look at the clock when making sushi but I am sure it normally takes more than 30 mins to cook rice and let it cool down before mixing with venegar …

I love to cook and bake, too. In weekends I usually gather with my friends or/and cousins/family to cook big big meals (normally we try new recipes). In weekdays, it takes me about 45 minutes to prepare for dinner which is standardized to include at least a glass of milk, meat/fish, veggies, rice/noodles/bread and soup. I always make extra food in the evening to pack my lunch the next morning :).

Have you just been eating raw chicken and such for years and you’re just realising now you need to cook it? Or do you just pick up food all the time?

In any event, cooking for yourself is a bazillion times healthier than eating the garbage that you get from manufactured food/fast food.

^

My mom cooked.

So basically if i pick up frozen stuff it’s quick but if i cut the vegetables/boil the rice myself it takes close to an hour. I can’t spare that much everyday.

Does everyone really spare so much time for cooking?

I typically set aside time on Sunday and cook everything at once. I usually cook a half dozen or so mix of chicken, beef, pork and then eat that for lunch or dinner. I cook breakfast fresh everyday. Really not that time consuming if you’re doing it all at once. (of course nothing I’m cooking is super gormet).

Cooking takes forever. I just cook on weekends - make a bunch of pasta and eat it all week.

I normally cook something in the crock pot on Sundays, either a beef roast or chicken. Usually set it in the morning before I go for afternoon patio drinking then come back to dinner. This week was chicken so I made that into chicken tacos, cut some up and threw it in pasta, had a chicken caeser salad for one meal. I usually run out on Thursday/Friday then resort to pizza until Sunday again.

Keep it green son, fresh veggies can be eaten out of the bag.

+1 this is the way to go chicken is all purpose you can a lot of different meals with it. i do pretty much the same thing but cook it on the stove. what do you cook it in/with in the crock pot? im interested in doing it this way

the thing to do is cook more than you’ll eat in one sitting so your total amount of time cooking is limited. you know, leftovers. i love leftovers.

about the only thing I can cook is an egg (to perfection). my wife luckily is an awesome cook.

EDIT: also spending time cooking forces you to simplify your life. you’ll probably find that you get more out of shopping for fresh ingredients and preparing a meal than anything else you’d fill that time with.

If you have no idea how to cook, here is what you can do to everything.

1. Heat oil in pan

2. Add shopped/minced garlic

3. If meat salt and pepper before, if veggies salt after

4. Add meat and/or veggies and cook until completed.

Takes about 15 minutes. You can also put in rice or pasta. This is the simplest and tastiest way to cook.

While your food is cooking clean any cutting boards or bowls you have dirtied, saves time.

Frozen food is just a short hop away from fast food, it’s mostly junk (frozen vegetables are ok, but not procesed stuff).

It doesn’t take more than a half hour to grill up a steak with some potato and vegetable. Or make fish tacos or whatever. You can make pasta primavera in 15 minutes. When you factor in the time spent going to fetch fast food or take out, it’s not really a big difference.

And you’ll probably be less likely to die early of some horrendous disease of affluence. No guarntees, but eating healthy helps.

Go to In-N-Out like a normal person.

If you’re cooking for one it’s not very efficient but still manageable. Usually I have my tablet loaded up with some tv shows that I’ll watch later anyway, and kill two birds with one stone.

My go to meal is always noodles (dried gourmet kind, not the cheapos), boil, take out of the pot, make a broth, throw in some cut meat or leftovers, frozen vegies, boil, break an egg into it, and then pour it onto the noodles. Usually takes 15-20mins.

The more you do it the more efficient you’ll get. It’s all about timing (managing pots, heating, switches) and honing your skills, less mistakes = time saved.

I haven’t consumed whole foods in many years. I throw everything into a blender, raw, and drink away. I used to get food poisoning quite often in the past but my body has since evolved and i’d like to think my acidity levels are comparable to a komodo dragon.

Get a wife.