Cooking

I usually just google easy crock pot chicken recipes. This week I put in a can of beans, half a jar of salsa, and a taco seasoning blend. Leave it on low for 5-6 hours and its fully cooked, not dry at all, and you can just shred the chicken or whatever.

I cannot believe that it takes you close to an hour ! Get a rice cooker! I guarantee it takes you only 7 mins to wash the rice, put the water in, and press “Start”. You can do other things while waiting for it to finish (normally about 25 mins). For cutting the vegetables, get sharp knives!

I didn’t spare much time for cooking when studied for CFA exam ( and other exams) but I eased my stress abt the studying by mixing bread dough by hands sometimes (normally abt 40 mins).

I delegate cooking to my wife, esp. in times of studying :wink:

I only cook special dishes, like Lasagna, Burgers, crumbed fried chicken…

^ Homemade burgers are about 1,000,000x better than anything that can ever come from a fast food place. I love homemade burgers, one of my favourites.

^ Right! Self-made beef patties, cheddar cheese, onions, gherkin, sweet rolls (in German called Brioche, some French stuff)…

Hungry now!!!

Brioche is a term in English too, I love brioche for burgers. That or sourdough.

Sometimes I’ll put some chorizo sausage into the ground beef, makes it juicier with the extra pork fat and adds some spice. Ground pork can also be mixed in for extra flavour.

Then onto a hot grill.

I think I just figured out what’s for dinner tonight if the temperature warms up here (burgers can only be grilled, in my view).

Try to mix some feta or sheep cheese and mustard into the meat. Tastes awesome!

The rice takes around 17-20 minutes to cook in a rice cooker. Crabmeat takes a few minutes to prepare. Shrimp tempura is around 16 minutes in the oven (out and cooling before rice). Depending on the ingredients, do a little prep during that 20 minute down time. Put the rice in the hangiri and it cools down fairly quickly. I have pre-mixed vinegar. Since I buy rice that doesn’t require rinsing, I probably could say that first part of the rice doesn’t even count as cook time (like a crockpot).

But its a function of what type of sushi, which ingredients, etc.

Is that not processed? I genuinely don’t know…

I can’t do this, i found a website called shareyourmeal.net…pretty cool…you can buy your neighbour’s leftovers.

else, i’m getting roommates willing to split for a cook…

^A steak is not processed. It’s just pure beef. In other words, avoid the aisles of your grocery store and just hit up produce and meat. Not sure how grocery stores work in India though.

I’m talking about all sorts of additives, preservatives, high frustose corn syrup, salt that will certainly reduce your life span.

^

If you want someone to cook lunch and dinner for you how much is it in canada?

All meat in the produce section will have preservatives no?

Like to have someone come into my house and prepare me a fresh dinner everyday? Probably $100+/day. No one does that here, never even heard of it other than for the insanely wealthy. I think you can get meals delivered, but then your back to all the negatives of take out and prepared food.

Fresh steaks, roasts, chicken, lamb, pork don’t have preservatives, at least not in Canada/US/Europe. Buy things that don’t have ingredient lists and mix them together.

Steak + Potato + Carrot.

Fresh chicken wings + coleslaw (just chop up cabbage, carrot, add wine vingear, mustard and olive oil, dill, parsley).

Pork chop + whole grain rice + chinese brocolli.

Fresh salmon + Vegetables on pasta.

All of these are preservative free, healthy, balanced meals. And you’ll find they don’t cost much more than eating junk from takeout (at least in North America). Don’t buy stuff in boxes or packages. Fresh fresh fresh.

More easy meals:

Lamb chops + lemon potato + bell peppers with homemade tzatziki.

Roast Chicken on salad

There, you’ve got five meals for weeknights that take 20-30 minutes to prepare. Make 2x as much as you need and bring lunch. 20-30 minutes for two meals is way less time than buying takeout twice and you’re health will be hugely improved.

would recommend getting a cast iron pan once you become proficient at cooking techniques. I just throw slabs of meat on it for 5 mins a side on med/high, flip it, and serve with a carbohydrate (spaghetti/rice/potatoes). If i’m feeling fancy I’ll have some vegetables on the side.

this cat geo can cook

Awesome stuff geo.

Will def try that out before throwing in the towel.

Nah, my wife is the better cook, I’m just an average cook. Everything I suggested there is really easy, mostly fool proof. It’s really not hard.

Women exaggerate every chore. I bet you if men could get pregnant, we would deliver in 5 months max :slight_smile:

It doesn’t take an hour to cook, but it easily take more than an hour if you consider shopping, prepping, cleaning…

But cooking is so much fun! i think everyone should learn how to cook some basic things, it’s a big part of life! I dont know why people would learn to swim and bike and not learn how to cook properly.

Cooking is cathartic.

Heat 2 cups (500 ml) of water. When it comes to a boil, add 1 cup (250 ml) of long grain white rice. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Take a ½-lb. (¼ kg) steak. Cut it into ½" (1 cm) cubes (5 minutes, if you’re practiced). Sauté it in some butter (3 minutes). Set the steak aside. Chop 8 oz. (¼ kg) of mushrooms (5 minutes, if you’re practiced). Sauté the mushrooms in some butter (3 minutes). Chop 2-3 medium tomatoes (2 minutes) and add them to the mushrooms. Cook on medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes. Toss in some thyme or marjoram (or both). Add the steak. Mix 1 tsp. (2 ml) cornstarch with ¼ cup (60 ml) water and add it to the mixture; bring the mixture to a boil.

You’ve made dinner in 25 minutes.