best restaurants by ethnicity in NYC

Any recommendations for best restaurants in NYC in this order (low-mid range pricing, may include high-end if really good, location not important):

1. Chinese :

1. Golden Unicorn;
  2. Hop Shing (Must show up before 11:30am on weekends to get seating for a group or you risk waiting around for a while.);
  3. Wu Liang Ye;
  4. ShangHai Manor;

2. Japanese :

1. izakaya/robata (Aburiya Kinnosuke);
  2. Sushi go to Sushi Nakazawa (if on someone else’s dime);
  3. Kura (great bang for your buck, about 2/3 the price of Nakazawa but lots of food and great sushi);
  4. Yuka on the Upper East Side;

3. Korean:

1. Bann on 50th between 8th and 9th;
  2. 32nd street between 6th and 5th and have your pick of places for Korean BBQ, etc;
  3. Gu Gong Tan (4003 149th Pl #1, Flushing) - small place but one of the best korean BBQ place;
  4. Pocha in K-town;

4. Indian :

1. Dhaba (108 Lexington Ave, New Yor) - one of the best indian buffet dessert is awesome right next to Baruch College;
  2. Baluchi’s on Queens Boulevard. It’s quite good, we go there a lot.

5. Russian;

6. Ukrainian ;

7. Thai:

1. Yum Yum;
  2. Yum Yum Too(Both are on the corner 49th and 9th (or maybe 48th);
  3. lunch (2nd ave between 73 and 74 that has an awesome lunch special for $10-$12);
  4. thai select ( hh 5-8 every day);
  5. pure thai cookhouse;

8. Ethiopian:

1. one in the village is very average;
  2. Supposedly there is one in Harlem that is decent;

9. Italian:

1. Cu 29 (aka copper) for pizza;
  2. malatesta trattoria;
  3. Sirio at the Pierre on 5th Ave is pretty good too.

10. Brazilian** :**

1. Emporium Brasil;
  2. Via Brazi;
  3. Ipanema on 46th between 5th and 6th. (Little Brazil) *Emporium is next door and Via Brazil is halfway down the block on the opposite side of the street.

11. Georgian:

1. good one in alphabet city

12. Peruvian:

1. Panca (West Village);
  2. Piu Piu;
  3. Wairique;

13. Mexican:

1. Ponche Taqueria & Cantina

14. Burger :

1. 5 napkin

15. Cheesesteak + wings:

1. shortys

16. Polish:

1. Karczma in Greenpoint;

anything else you can think of

Thanks!

Portuguese: Ipanema on 46th between 5th and 6th. (Little Brazil)

Technically it’s Brazillain/Portuguese, but a lot more authentic than Alfama ever was (now closed) and more representative of the food than the “Meat Orgy” that Rodizio’s are. It’s not expensive either. Get the Bife a Portuguesa or Bacalhau ou Grelhado. The Chocolate Mousse is also hand made and rediculous - order it with a shot of brandy over it. They also serve up a wicked caipirinha.

I think you are making CvM uncomfortable if you are going to start ranking things by ethnicity.

Your question is very vague because it’s not area specific or price range, but if you want Chinese food I suggest you go to dim sum at Golden Unicorn (Chinatown). Bring a few people. That place is cool. Not expensive.

russian go to brooklyn

For Japanese izakaya / robata, I suggest Aburiya Kinnosuke. For sushi, go to Sushi Nakazawa (if on someone else’s dime) or Kura (great bang for your buck, about 2/3 the price of Nakazawa but lots of food and great sushi).

For Chinese, I second lxwarr30’s suggestion on Golden Unicorn. Hop Shing is also good - I think it has fewer frills but slightly better food. Both are awesome. Must show up before 11:30am on weekends to get seating for a group or you risk waiting around for a while.

Personally I like Emporium Brasil and Via Brazi better than Ipanema. Emporium is next door and Via Brazil is halfway down the block on the opposite side of the street.

Korean, I like Bann on 50th between 8th and 9th. Not sure if it’s the best in the city, but I like it. Then again, you can go to 32nd street between 6th and 5th and have your pick of places for Korean BBQ, etc.

How is Thai not on the list? I don’t know what’s the best, but I really like Yum Yum and Yum Yum Too. Both are on the corner 49th and 9th (or maybe 48th). I’ve been impressed with everything that they have. For lunch, There is a nice thai place on 2nd ave between 73 and 74 that has an awesome lunch special for $10-$12. Everything is delicious.

I haven’t had Ethiopian food in ages: anyone have a suggestion?

And just for kicks… with all of these $1/slice pizza places opening up… they’re all kinda crummy, but which one is the tastiest?

I used to go to this place Cu 29 (aka copper) in brooklyn. They have a brick oven, best sangria, and right near a park. They also have live music usually with spanish flavour.

http://cu29brooklyn.com/

thanks for the inputs so far, I’ve updated the list!

Next time i’m in NYC I really must get out and try the food…

When I see tourists eating at the Applebees and Olive Garden in Times Square I die a little on the inside.

Yeah, me too. The Portuguese have an expression “It’s like going to Rome and not seeing the Pope.” Even McDonalds is forgiveable a fuel stop. But to have a table service meal at a chain restaurant just seems like a pathetic waste of an opportunity, when one can go to 9th avenue, pick a place at random, and very likely have a delicious meal.

Best Chinese: wu liang ye or Shanghai manor

georgian food: there’s a good one in alphabet city can’t recall the name

ethiopian: one in the village is very average. Supposedly there is one in Harlem that is decent.

Japanese: Yuka on the UES

Italian: malatesta trattoria

Peruvian?

Panca (West Village)

thai - thai select ( hh 5-8 every day), pure thai cookhouse

burger - 5 napkin

cheesesteak + wings - shortys

mexican - Ponche Taqueria & Cantina

Yes, though Piu Piu and Wairique isn’t bad either. Piu Piu has several places around town

Karczma in Greenpoint was pretty good Polish food.

I went to a great Korean BBQ in ktown (albeit, it was 5 in the morning and i was starving). I think the place is called Pocha (they have water caps hanging from the ceiling) not to be confushed with Pacha, the crazy russian club. If you’re out late night near that area, i def recommend it. FYI, they serve only family style.

mmm list is filling up I need to try them alL!