What's your favorite breed of dog?

And why?

For me: Collie.

They’re intelligent, gorgeous, and unparalleled with children.

(We’ve owned four collies – three rough, one smooth, two tri-color, one sable-and-white, one blue merle – and they’ve been awesome.)

Since I have two very young children, I need one that’s good with kids.

I’d love to have a border collie, but I don’t know if I have the energy for it.

Golden retrievers are good dogs, but they shed too much. (This coming from a guy who has three cats.)

I’m not sure if German Shepherds are good family dogs. Maybe somebody can comment.

A Great Dane would be a good match for my energy level, but they eat you out of house and home.

My father-in-law has a friend that just had mutt puppies, half German-Shepherd, half Chocolate Lab. We might get one of those.

Beagle, they look cute. Never owned one for myself, we had a mixed-breed/mongrel (what can I use??) when I was a child…

I have an american eskimo, most awesome and beautiful dog ever. I also like samoyed and shiba inu though and shelties

I really want a black greyhound. I think they look regal and dignified, just like me.

Rottweiler - great family dog, very intelligent

Labrador retriever - great family dog, great for hunting

I have a golden retriever. He is an asshole

They’re horrible with kids. I had one when our first was born and had to give him up. They treat kids like sheep and constantly try to herd them. When the kid doesn’t go where the BC wants, they start doing what they do to sheep - nip at their ankles and literally start dragging them across the floor.

Don’t get me wrong, BC’s are the smartest, coolest dogs around if you have the time and energy to take care of them. If you don’t, they’ll find a job for themselves (they have to have a job) and their a 99% chance it’ll be something that drives you crazy.

I currently have a Newfie and Great Pyranenees. Both are great with the kids. But, I have a combined 250 lbs of dog in my house. Lots of hair and slobber. Lots. Love them both to death and would recommend either breed to anyone.

Collies are fabulous with kids. When our boys would squabble the collie would push himself between them and shove them apart (and he was big enough that they couldn’t fight over him).

I’ve heard German Shepherds are great family dogs. They got a bad reputation years ago after a few incidences but I’ve always suspected that was due to poor breeding and dumb owners.

I’m a fan of boxers - very loyal and protective. That said they are very energetic and require either lots of walks or property to run around on.

We had a Samoyed for a while when the kids were quite young. They’re quite energetic; ours would run onto the porch, and slide into our older son (sending him flying: the porch was quite slick).

I will get a lab eventually

Growing up we had a collie black lab mix who was awesome. He could catch anything. He would snap and kill bees on the porch and bring me live bullfrogs because he had such a soft mouth.

Now, my parents have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which is a beautiful, really sweet dog. The only downside is that she likes to run. A lot. Also, if you have groundhogs, raccoons or geese she will likely kill them and bring them to you. Completely great with people though, docile and gentle at all times.

Doge’s breed

Lived in a very small town, had a yellow lab growing up. He would chase the bus to school everyday and see me off to class. Then he’d always be back at home when I got off school. No idea what he did all day.

Not sure if this was in response to my comment above, and I assume you know this already but just in case…Collies and Border Collies are very different dogs.

Yes: quite aware.

My comment was contrasting collies (great with kids) with border collies. Both are herding dogs: collies tend to treat kids as sheep (though, unlike border collies, don’t tend to nip at their heels).

I had some mixed breed dogs when I was a kid. Those guys were some sons of b*tches.

I have a 3 year old Shiba Inu…Very smart, obedient, cleanly – though he does shed a lot.

This isn’t him, but this is about what he looks like.

After dating a Texas A&M alum, it’s hard to like collies.