ALS - ice bucket challange

this forum is too conservative, let me spice it up a bit by saying that the ice bucket challenge is stupid. anyone agree?

I completely agree, it’s really stupid. I have much hate for ALS, but dumping buckets of ice water on your head?

I saw a few videos on the net involving celebrities and it was entertaining. The one with PK Subban was funny.

If you had to pick one AF member to pass the challenge to, who would it be?

blake?

I think it’s stupid too. All this internet awareness… ice bucket challenge, bring back our girls, bring back our plane… makes people feel like they actually did something.

yea it reminds me of kony from last year, now no one remembers who kony is…if you want to help just donate money or time

I’m glad this thread was posted. I also am not against raising money for any serious disease, and it is not that aspect of it I am critical about. It occurs to me because the visual gimmick of dumping a bucket of ice water over your head is too irresistible for the Facebook “lives-of-the-party”-types to not do. It says, “look at me, I’m ‘suffering’ for a good cause! Aren’t I just the most considerate person ever?!?” Makes me want to puke.

Some will say, come on, it’s in good fun, and it’s “raising awareness” of ALS and maybe even directly and indirectly increasing donations. I just can’t stand the aspect of, ALS is just one of many horrible diseases and conditions on the planet, and if you appear to be against the ice bucket “challenge,” then people will say that you are against charity in general. I am not against charity in general, I just wish there was a better resource allocation mechanism than some visual gag pyramid scheme circulating the internet and started by god knows who.

I don’t understand many charity related activities that involve some unrelated physical action, like “running for a cure”, dance marathon, or similar. Since the money is raised before the event, there is ultimately little purpose to holding the event at all. Furthermore, the money that is used to run the event could in fact be donated to the charity.

Because of this, I propose that we organize a “menial labor for a cure” sort of event, where you raise money, and then instead of pointlessly running 5k with a bunch of other people, you work in a sweat shop or do other unskilled labor for the same duration of time.

I too thought it was dumb until I saw this video…

http://www.bjpenn.com/shaq-responds-to-dana-whites-ice-bucket-challenge/

Difficult to poo-poo the outcome though… ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ Has Raised Millions for ALS Association http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/business/ice-bucket-challenge-has-raised-millions-for-als-association.html

I have heard the ice water shower is to simulate what effects of the disease can feel like to those afflicted with it. Not sure if that is true or not. This marketing campaign has generated not only a substantial financial boost to ALS research but increased flow to the organization’s website where you can learn more about the disease. If me dumping a few gallons of ice water on my head gets 4 of my friends to learn more about this terrible disease and make a contribution, than that is a price I am certainly willing to pay. As a few of each of their friends does the same and so it grows you can see how awareness can quickly spread. I believe that would qualify as a benefit to the ALS Association. On top of all that, you get to watch your friends make silly videos of their ice water experience. I’m sure that most of us have done worse things for far less benefit. If nothing else, it has provided a bunch of free positive publicity to a worthy cause. I’d much rather see a story about the ice water challenge than the eternal doom and gloom of main stream media today.

So the point of it is to either give to charity or do the ice bucket challenge? I had assumed that you got nominated, donated and then did it?

^ I think you dump the bucket of ice water on your head in lieu of donating.

Frequently the event gives people some cause for people to rally around and some reason to donate, and it would just be shady to collect all those donations and not have the actual event.

Well, at least I can handle the “ice bucket challenge”.

It’s a zillion times better than most of the breast cancer crap that goes on. A couple of years ago, people were going around throwing pink bras into trees in order to raise awareness for breast cancer. Like I want to drive to the park and see a pink bra in the tree and explain it to my kids.

Why are parents (mostly conservatives) always worried about explaining stuff to their kids? Not to call you out specifically Greenie, but it seems crazy that people feel they can’t tell their kids about actual life in a non-sexual/respectful way.

My daughter is three years old. I don’t want to tell her that someday, one of her boobs may develop a giant mass and cause her a great deal of pain and suffering right before she dies.

Well you don’t need to tell her that she may get sick. Just say some people and avoid things like “pain and suffering” to make it more age appropriate. I’m just trying to highlight the idea not everything revolves around parents. You can cater your message to your audience, but I just see that when these “How do I talk to my kid about…” conversations they seem to be regressive.